Confused about ULTRA settings 3Q 2015

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sar Yehudah, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sar Yehudah

I finally have a proper gaming computer as of the end of last month. Okay, I've played PS2 on and off since November 20th 2012. What is going on with Ultra settings? They look noticeably WORSE now. How do I activate proper Ultra settings because I don't understand the ini and the Ultra option isn't Ultra? Setting the render quality to 1.41 or 2.0 doesn't do anything. As soon as I open PS2 the ini changes it back to 1.0. Setting it to Read Only doesn't help either, since the game does not acknowledge it.
  2. Megalegs

You don't want to change anything in-game once you've changed the .ini file. Set ultra everything, exit, change ini file, reboot.

Render quality super-samples the image, ie, making a 1440p image and compressing it into 1080p at 1.41 (roughly,as I understand it). 2.0 I think is roughly 4k. It will tank your frames if you've not got a serious rig.

1.0 is probably fine if you're having issues. Again, as I understand it, you're losing out on a bit of texture quality.

I'm running an overclocked 970, with I7 at 3.8, and 16g RAM. Ultra, 1.41, 1080p, smoothing off, V-sync on, locked at 60fps.

Doesn't drop frames until the biggest fights really.

Went below 30 briefly the other night in a 96+/96+ tower fight, very rare.

You might want to let us know your specs, and also have a look in the support sub-forum.
  3. Sar Yehudah

please explain how to make 1.41 work? It instantly resets once I open the game.

gtx 970, i5- 6600k, 16 GB of ram.
  4. Megalegs

I'd expect you to be getting better performance than me, most frame rate issues when busy are CPU ones. (edit, your CPU is much more modern than mine, i7 2600.)

I don't know what you're issue with render quality is, I've just checked my useroptions.ini file and it is as I set it, despite several boots and exits.

My user ini file looks like this, my FPS is limited by video card settings, display, and V-sync.

Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=800
    WindowedHeight=600
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.420000
    [Rendering]
    OverallQuality=-1
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=4
    LightingQuality=2
    EffectsQuality=3
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=3
    ModelQuality=3
    RenderDistance=4000.000000
    Gamma=0.390000
    VerticalFOV=55
    ParticleLOD=3
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    VSync=1
    AO=1
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    BloomEnabled=1
    MotionBlur=0
    UseAspectFOV=1
    GpuPhysics=3
    Smoothing=0
    [Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1
    [Sound]
    Master=1.000000
    Music=0.000000
    Game=1.000000
    Dialog=1.000000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1
    IdleMusic=1
    UseHighQualityReverb=0
    [ImageCapture]
    OutputFolder=./Screenshots
    OutputFilePrefix=screenshot.png
    [VideoCapture]
    OutputFile=VideoCaptureOutput.avi
    Resolution=2
    Quality=100
    WorkingDir=Videos
    [VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=1
    Fps=30
    Kbps=0
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=
    [Terrain]
    RenderFlora=On
    [AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=1
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0
    [Group]
    AutoGroupOnLogin=0
    AutoGroupAsLeader=0
    AutoGroupWithFriends=0
    AutoGroupWithGuild=0
    [Voice]
    Enable=0
    ReceiveVolume=50.000000
    OutfitVolume=50.000000
    SquadVolume=50.000000
    ProximityVolume=50.000000
    MicrophoneVolume=50.000000
    Ducking=0.500000
    [UI]
    HudTiltAngle=0
    CentralizedHudMode=1
    HudTiltAnglePercent=0
    DrawMission=1
    DrawKillSpam=1
    DrawLootDrop=1
    ShowGroupNotifications=1
    ShowOutfitNotifications=1
    • Up x 1
  5. Sar Yehudah

Hey thanks for the help. Whenever I go in game, it sets the render quality back to 1.0. Can you tell me how to prevent it?
  6. Megalegs

I'm struggling to think what might be causing this. I'd make sure you're overall settings in game are set to custom. Change everything that can be changed to ultra there, but not overall quality, leave at custom.

Exit and change the render quality. I've gone for 1.42, square root of 2 is the principle, its 1.414 somethingish, I rounded up a bit generously.

After booting with the .ini changes when you go in game you shouldn't see the render quality change registering on the in-game settings but your .ini changes will remain and the quality will improve, it happens behind the curtain. Touch nothing now and play.

The only other thing I thought of is that you may be remembering the time when the extra particle effects were available for NVidia cards. That was removed for stability reasons some time ago.

I've no idea how the game is altering your .ini settings unless you are altering something graphical in game after booting.

Sorry can't be of more help.
  7. Sar Yehudah

Okay I think I might have figured it out. It seems to work with 1.42, but not 1.41. So I am assuming anything lower than 1.414 will not register.
  8. Megalegs

cool, glad you got it sorted.
  9. Sar Yehudah

It stopped working. It resets again.
  10. pnkdth

Right click on the ini file, click preferences and check the box "read only." Useful if you're like me who like to play with weird FOV settings(as many old-school Quake1-3 players do). Do not worry about it not being legit or being considered to tamper with files because all you're doing is locking settings.

It is also useful if you have friends over who want to test the game some since no matter the sensitivity changes they do, when you launch the game again, you will have all your settings back to how they were when you checked the "read only" box.

Also, if you want to make new changes, just un-check the "read only" box, apply the changes, save, and check the box again.