Combat Engineer

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Eternaloptimist, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Eternaloptimist

Am I the last person on Auraxis to discover the fun of being a fighting class with extra engineering (cert printing) abilities?

I got the idea from some chat in the Medics forum where it was suggested the Combat Medic ought to be doing actual, you know, combat with some healing and rezzing along the way. Well, it worked for me in terms of making Medic more fun to play and so I thought why not engineer too?

I've equipped shotgun with slugs, AI mines and sticky grenade, full Nano and regen implant. I run a burst carbine for longer range accuracy if I'm not in a base but tbh, the combat role really only works well for me in base fights (fortunately there are quite a few of them).
  2. Hyron

Hi there,

no you are not. I think i can say, that I main engineer in ps2. While i realy enjoy playing infil, heavy or LA there is that moment when you hear the call for support and no one is around. It is my passion to be the one who is going to help out and keep the fight going.
    I think the engineer-class is considered as weak combat class because it has no ability which give you the advantage in a firefight. But i think the true ability of the engineer is not the ammobx or the turret. It is the versatility. I have loadouts with different types of mines, of turrets...
    That is my reason for playing engineer on the battlefield and not only in vehicles. And i hope to see more "toys" in the future ;)

Ohh, the slug Shotty. The first Weapon i auraxed :D
    A realy deadly and underestimated weapon, when you know when and how to use;)
  3. starlinvf

The Engineer is a near perfect class. For some reason, people continually suggest new things always be funneled into that class, despite it being the single highest utility class, with the wide array of weapons, and ranks 3rd in overall infantry combat. A lot of it boils down to the Gun play.... theres only a marginal difference between Carbines and ARs, and there would be marginal difference between carbines and LMGs if not for the fact that their mag size is a massive advantage. Include the fact its the go-to class for Drivers, and its no wonder its the second highest overall played class in the game. Really, the only reason they lose out to HA is that class's all around better offensive capability against vehicles.... which the engineer stole from them with the AV Turret before the abysmal range nerf.

But despite that, I feel the Medic healing gun makes the entire class unintuitive. It has substantial offensive power from the ARs, but you need to spend 90% of your time in the Med gun to keep Res and heals going. If you look at a lot of the design cues for weapons, the Medic was supposed to be one of the most prevalent classes with its general mobility.... but the lack of offensive specialization turns out to be a huge liability, and clunkiness of the Med gun forces it into an either/or of average rifle man OR "mandatory zombie factory". The Engineer doesn't have this restraint, so they can easily juggle 2-3 jobs in a short time period.
  4. Azawarau

Archerado engineer forever
  5. Zvezdan

You really, really don't need to spend all your time rezzing people as a medic. Also, how was the medic intended to be mobile? At all?

As for OP, yes, you should be doing it with all support-y classes. Anyone who unironically runs around doing nothing but looks for rezzes/reps is doing it wrong. You have a gun; you can (and should) shoot mans with it, while trying to find a good balance between dishing out support for your team and damage to the enemy.
  6. chuck105

It seems to se that engineer more than any class is told to spend all of their time repairing maxes or hiding, since many seem to think they are useless in actual combat. They forget about how strong the AI turret is, particularly for stopping maxes, as well as the archer, which does the job in a more mobile fashion. Even in infantry only battles, tank mines, personal mines, c4, sticky grenades, infinite under-barrel grenades and smoke spam... Plus with 5 mines and c4 you're the only class that can solo a deployment shield sundy. I think I initially started playing engineer because I hated running out of ammo. If all your engineers are just waiting around to rep maxes, then they're not supporting other troops or getting to good positions to use any of their weapons or tools. There's a balance, with the support classes, between supporting a high value player or players, and being a high value player yourself.