Cloak/decloak sound is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Eugenitor, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Eugenitor

Some noob decides he wants to kill me, the big bad HA capping his base alone, with an infiltrator. He turns his cloak on, and the moment he does, I know there's an infiltrator around. I'm looking around, and he gets behind me- I hear the characteristic sound of the cloak going off.

By the time he finishes decloaking, I've already spun around and shot him in the head.

Infiltrators are by far the least stealthy class in the game.
    • Up x 1
  2. LachDiggityDog

I would have already killed you with my mines before you even heard the cloak :D
  3. VoidC

Decloaking time is to high comparable to TTK.
    And yeah mines are nice. One hour of infiltration and no infantry resources ...

75 for Proxy mine (2x )
    50 EMP grenade

200 resources :/ kind a crap ...
  4. LachDiggityDog

if you could pick them up it would be much better but you get so many kills with them some times triples and multis lol
  5. OldMaster80

I agree there's something wrong with stealth, but imho the problem imho is not the sound, as many players don't even hear it.
    Cloaking problems are:
    - There is no reason why Infiltrators shouldn't automatically uncloak when firing. Current setup penalizes Infiltrators in all those situations where a fast reaction is required: in order to fire we need to press F the mouse click instead of just firing.
    - Cloaking shouldn't be vulnerable to thermal vision (or at least we need a certification to improve our resistance to that).
    - We need a choice between Hunter Stuite and Stalker Suite, because 10 seconds cloaking is just good for snipers, not for real infitlrators.
    • Up x 2
  6. PeterLawford

That's the big one in my opinion. At the very least my cloak should make me safe from fricken aircraft. I mean, someone could walk right by me and not see me, but if a plane shows up, I'm toast.
    • Up x 2
  7. Crocobutt

The sound is ok now, used to be a lot worse.
  8. Lucidius134

TR have the quietest, only reason you're saying that. All of your past frustrations, the NC have to deal with it now. NC by far have it the worst and I think that needs to be fixed.

- NC Cloak sound needs a quieter volume
    - TR Cloak sound needs to be louder and play longer.

OR

VS cloak sound needs to be short + quieter
    NC cloak sounds needs to be MUCH quieter + shorter

Currently the TR one is the quietest and shortest of all cloaks. I'm legally blind and for over half of my life i've been able to easily triangulate where things are based on sounds up to 900m away in ArmA 2. I can tell exactly where NC infils and VS infils are and I can also tell where they are within a short distance if they are running (foot steps). TR claoks are the ones that are quiet enough to confuse me. It plays so low that it sounds like it could be coming from either speaker.

I honestly wouldn't mind the latter of the suggestions. I don't play infil a lot but I would rather not be able to easily triangulate them since it kind of ruins their stealth aspect. Currently TR got an unfair advantage so either way the tables need to be adjusted.
  9. Crocobutt

Uh-huh. I am yet to notice a different cloak SE in other factions. They're all the same, as far as I know. TR being quieter than others is a new myth to me right now - is there any evidence of your claim?
  10. Lucidius134

Sorry, i'm not stupid. Obvious troll is obvious.
  11. Crocobutt

Please provide proof, or just stay quiet. It's already difficult enough to play infiltrator.

As for a little advice: use headphones, they work better than speakers.
  12. Ghostfox

Yeah, you are better off not bothering with cloaking if you are going in for a kill. Then it is just random chance on if the guy notices you.

I see the point of the cloak sound but don't think that cloaking right now is powerful enough to justify it.
    • Up x 1
  13. Synobal

He isn't trolling you and he wasn't calling you stupid he was just asking for proof to your claim that the TR cloak/uncloak sound is quieter than the other empires cloak sound effects.

He is mistaken about there not being different sound effects, there is but honestly they aren't super distinct but I've gotten good enough that I can tell the difference between NC and Vanu. In my opinion the NC are quieter than the Vanu but I've not ripped the sound files and actually compared them. I'm not really sure about the TR since I tend to either be the one cloaking (thus it is loud) or close to the one doing the cloaking because they are friendly.
  14. Helwyr

Yup, it's pretty outrageous that tanks and aircraft can get optics that make cloaks useless.
  15. Lucidius134

Anyone who flat out denies factions havn't changed cloak sounds is blatently ******* ********, especially since his avatar is that of one of the affected classes.

As for proof, go play the game. I dont feel like I require to provide proof that anyone can replicate on their 3 character account limit.
  16. m44v

No, I can heard cloaking sounds 100m away, they only changed the sound to be faction specific.
  17. Hoki

All should be damn near silent and last half a second.

The cloaking effect is a special graphics effect that wraps your actual player model and differs depending on graphics quality.
    It needs to be changed to a special model that is completely transparent when not moving and has periodic spotchy radiation when moving. The radiation spotches would be very random and suttle changes in pixel color that do not travel with the player model, so as to not give away motion, it would also make it nearly impossible for a moving enemy to notice because they themselves would be moving. A player standing perfectly still might be able to notice the suttle changes in pixel color, a player moving would be very unlikely to notice it.

The biggest problem with the cloak effect at max setting is that motion of the player model outline is easily detectable. Random suttle spotches of radiation reveal no outline and since they don't move reveal no motion.
  18. The King

Wow, I haven't noticed a difference in sound and they all sound the same to me. I can hear them all.
    I play against the TR almost all the time and I can hear them pretty loud.

I just think you think you're better than everyone with your attitude. Go ******* play the game you piece of ****. Because obviously, you're ******* stupid for thinking the other guy is a troll.

With your attitude, people look at you as someone of less value. You caused it upon yourself. Stuck up moron,.
  19. Lucidius134

I do think i'm better then everyone else when it comes to talking about sound. Haha. I've spent A LOT of time working on and editing sound effects in goldsource and source sound engines because it's my hobby. It's one of the few things I can rely on in FPS games. I can't really rely on my vision...
  20. Lucidius134

Exposed.

All footage taken at the southern most tip of ARC engineering just at the edge of the map (albeit on 3 different servers).

I can host the raw footage if anyone wants to measure their sound volumes, no ******* idea how to do that. You can tell from the picture provided in the video the zoomed out sound waves but that's not the most accurate measurement.

There's the evidence that support my previous claims (and might I say it's fitting PRETTY WELL). Go being blind!
    • Up x 2