Clientside 2 latency problem in a nutshell

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CactusLynx, Feb 13, 2013.

1. CactusLynx

How many times have you been killed by somebody you just killed? Alot? Me too!

How many times have you killed someone and theyre still shooting for alittle bit after the kill is registered? ****tons, I know!

The problem is that PS2 uses the client to determine if you hit an enemy or not, which leads to the death behind cover kills that lots of us are seeing. Lemme make this abit simpler for those of you who don't have good networking knowledge:

Client sends out packet > Packet reaches server > Packet reaches other client registering new position, hit, etc

The problem is that the time it takes to move that packet from the clients. On your screen, your enemy may have not come around a corner lets say, but due to packet lag from the server, your enemies client has him already moved around the corner and shooting your face.

The biggest problem is that this makes hacking STUPIDLY ******* SIMPLE, which is why we see so many jerkoffs hacking.
  2. Sturmwaffles

It does make hacking easy, but it also makes the hit-detection very good, even if you are not from that region.

Idk. This game might have horrid hit detection if it were the servers call, just saying. I think there are compromises to both...but having good hit detection is really important.
  3. JDS999

before game update 2 could accout for .3-.7 sec of lag(not that bad), with gu2 its very bad kill someone 1-2 secs later i die
  4. phreec

I once saw a corpse fire off a few shots after hitting the ground. I freaked out, hoarded all the beans I could find and headed North.
    • Up x 2
  5. Sturmwaffles

To the Northwest Airfield,, to get slain!
  6. GamerOS

Basically, a lot of things that used to be processed by the Servers has been outsourced to the Client instead among them hit detection.
    It allows for cheaper servers...

But cheating is easier and the processors of the clients computers are taxed more heavily... not to mention the die behind cover thing..
  7. phreec

No way! I'm head̮͕i͏͈̥̬̤n͟g̡̞̖ t͙̹̙̳̲̂ͩ̊̊̃o͓̖̫ͣͥ̆ G̶ͨ̓́͛́̆͋ͦ̐͗̃͌̐҉̛̜̲͖͖͠͝r̾̔͒ͦ̀ͫ̐͌͐҉̵̸̧̩͔̠̦̯̹̳̤̘͚͟ͅe̷̢̦̻̺̼͔̯͕̺̣̳̥̬̩̫͕̹̩ͥ̊́̐ͫ̂̿̓̚̕͘͟é̶̴̳̪͓͕̠̮̹̼͍̺̯͚͈̞͍̰̺̩̜ͮ̋̈ͩͧͣ͌ͣṉ̨͎͈̝͓͇̼͉̬̬̥̬̗̩̯͇̮̤͕͌ͫ̅̈́͋͒͑͗ͥ̄̑ ̨̪̗̩̼̠̭̫͇́̄̿̎́̕͠M̶̃ͧͩͮ̌̀̑̊̎̒̅̆̆ͨ͌͟҉̭̗̦͙͓͇͞o̡̐̿̊ͨ́̾̍ͤ̇ͤ͜͏̠̱̻̭̙̣͔͔̰͇û̴̧͈̪̭̽̒͋n̵̝̟̦͉̻͇͔̝̜͈͈̜̳̉̐ͬ͗ͧ̀̀ͅͅṱ̛̰̱͈̟̮̩̦̞̭͚̞̻̼͇͇̄̓ͩ̇ͤ̽̊͋̇̎̇̂ͩͬ͌̽̀̚͘a̴̹͓͈̲̫͎̜̮͙͉̭̗̙ͦ̆̆̔̀͢͟i̶̢̼̭̩̗͔̼̪̣͓̰̖̊̅̑̈̑͑̀̄̊̿ͥ̀̄͛ͮͤ̄̕ň͇̳͈̼̫̻̙̪̬̣ͤͭͧ̾̀ͥͧ̾͋͐ͭͮ́̚̕. H̴̹̩̮̪̺͈̏̇ͯ̆ͨͪ̀͢͠É̉̿͗ͣ̉͒͗̉̄̑́͛͊͗͏҉̸̗͍̳̯̗̪͎̩͓͈͕̮̥̀͠ͅḶ̵̱͎̜͇̝̹͔̟̟̫̰͍̙ͣͧ̃ͨ̊̌ͭ̅ͪͧ͐ͨ͒͌̈P̷̨̥͙̼̗̜͕̣͔̦̝͚̤̟̭͙͈̤̎ͩ̃̃͂ͧ̉̾͆ͪ̅̉ͥͤͤ̈́͡͡ͅ ̧̨̮͈͖͉͔̺̂ͫ̋͂̒̈̒̔ͪͥ̆ͤ͢͝M̷͖̭̥̟̪͕͚̯͇̜̲͖ͭͨͯ̒͂ͬ̌̔͊ͣ̑̉͌ͦ́̃͂́ͅĘ̵̝͙̗̠̠̽́ͤ̅̿̌̌̀ͮ͗̍̓̕͟!̴̶̢̢̲̤͖͉̬̝̣͙̙̬̟̲̭͈̬̼ͮͣ͋ͮ̉́͘
    • Up x 1
  8. Sturmwaffles

Hehe.

The Radio.
  9. innersphere1

You are just lagging.
  10. GamerOS

It's a shame it was a hoax... or am I just saying that to stop people from going there? *plays twilight zone theme music*
  11. Sturmwaffles

DayZ subforum thread. Sorry OP.
  12. DevilJade

Yeah this is probably my #1 frustration with this game. It's not just the situations where I kill a guy, am half way through reloading then BAM he kills me and it shows he had full HP on the killer screen.

I get killed by people who don't even have their guns out yet, or I'll land 6+ shots, then die from the guy and on my screen he never shot. I know how long it should take for me to die when playing HA, so when I get these situations where I get this absurd amount of spike damage from one guy I know it's the client side hit detection.

As has been stated earlier, it seems to have gotten worse with GU2.
  13. FateJH

People seem to think hit detection is non-trivial. Pushing it all server side is not going to change anything because the packets still have travel time and the calculation will also have real time. The problem is that now everyone's hit detection will have to be accounted for by the same process, and that is only going to make the game's latency even greater. We're adding all that on top of whatever else the game is doing server-side.

At the moment, worst is having to wait for things to die, even after enoguh shots have been landed. How does it sound having to wait in a queue to be able to learn if your shoots are even hitting in the first place, or, if so, that you've actually shot enough?

Go home, Zalgo.