[Suggestion] Class Run speeds

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneToFear, Apr 27, 2015.

1. OneToFear

Hello everyone, I have another great idea(sarcasm). Lately I have been wondering why an infiltrator can run the same speed as a Heavy Assault. So I thought to myself that what if there was a system where each class ran different speed based on their armor value. So without further a due here is my grand idea.

Say the average medium class is an engineer or a combat medic

Engineers and Combat Medics will be in a Moderate Armor Class meaning their movement/running speeds and shields will be average and balanced.

Infiltrators and Light Assaults will be in the Light Armor Class meaning they will have faster movement/running speeds at the price of their shields strength.

Heavy Assaults will be in the Heavy Armor Class which will mean they sacrifice movement/running speed for more shields.

Maxes will be in the Super Heavy Armor Class which will mean even more sacrifice of movement/running speed for even more shields/health.

So now since that is all understood let me explain what the values would look like and tell you the current values
    Current Values

Engineers and Combat Medics currently have 500 Shields and 500 Health and their movement/running speed will be based at 1.0(Based on their current speed). This will stay the same and the other classes will correspond to this Armor Class.

Infiltrators and Light Assaults currently have:
    Light Assault- 500 health/500 shield and a 1.0 movement/running speed
    Infiltrators- 500 health/500 shield and a 1.0 movement/running speed

Heavy Assault currently have:
    500 health/ 500 shield and a movement speed of 1.0
    The current values

Maxes: I don't know maxes current run speed but it feels like it is .90x an engineers run speed
    maxes do not have shields and only have health which is 2000 health.

Altered Values

Infiltrators and Light Assaults in my change will have a 400 shield/500 health and a 1.25x running speed(this means they run 1.25x the speed of the moderate armor class.

Heavy Assaults will have a 600 Shield/500 Health and will take a draw back of a .75x running speed

Engineers and medics as said above will keep a 1.0 movement/running speed and an average 500/500 in health and shields.

Maxes will keep their current health value, but their speed will be dropped to .50x

Well there is my idea, i'm not sure if anyone will like it but I figured i'd put it out for people to look at here on forumside.

Feedback will be much appreciated!
    • Up x 3
  2. Flamberge

I personally feel that Max speed is fine where it is, seems any more nerfs would be overkill.
    Aside from that, this would be a neat addition.

Also, NB4 people begin complaining that HAs get a HP increase.
  3. HadesR

No they don't .. Infis have 500 / 400 already
  4. OneToFear

Whoops my bad there, typo. Sorry about that, xD
  5. OneToFear

Yeah I didn't know what to say about the max honestly, like I said though, this is all up for ideas.
  6. FateJH

The most important question about any proposal is always and forever: why?

Edit: I am disinclined towards changes for the sake of changes so I look to the reasoning that brought us to the point.
  7. 00000000000000000000

Was going to complain about a LA shield nerf as I barely survive a lot of encounters as is but 25% movement is ridiculously powerful, that makes me almost on par with a scout in TF2.

Also I would say have the infiltrators movement be dependent on whether they have a sniper rifle or not, like 110% movement with a sniper and 125% without.
    • Up x 1
  8. MrJengles

I'd love to see this; I've suggested it before, among others.

It further differentiates classes, perhaps even balances them a bit better and quite simply makes sense.

Infils get less shields but don't have anything positive for a tradeoff. Obviously, they have less shield to be weaker at range; while the speed suits them as a flanker. The relationship between armor/speed is well established in shooter games and synergizes well.

Taking that logic to the LA, it applies in exactly the same way. Especially since they like shooting from rooftops at range.

Plus everyone could be given access to adrenaline pump which would essentially raise their run speed by one weight class.
  9. TerminalT6

I like it, though I don't think you need to adjust shield values to compensate. I think the game already compensates with classes' differences in sheer killing power. For example, HA is very versatile, and can deal with most threats. Engineer can't really do that, he needs to either set up a turret or run up to a vehicle to plant explosives.

Also, I might put LA in the medium tier. That jetpack must weigh a good deal, I assume.

I think the 25% intervals are a bit much. When an HA activates his shield, he's moving at 75% speed, iirc. It's very slow. Maybe go by intervals of half that, like 12.5%?
    • Up x 1
  10. OneToFear

Thanks and you hit the nail on the head with the response to Fate, this system would really make classes feel different. In the future i'd love to see another class for the Heavy Armor Class though. Then there would be two classes in each armor class. I was going to say the max is in the heavy armor class however this isn't really true. Maxes are unique and aren't classes so it is hard to judge them as if they were one.
  11. OneToFear

True enough, intervals of 25% are high, but those intervals were just to set example numbers. However I would like to keep the intervals fairly high because there should be an upside and downside to balance this system. That being said I would want a movement speed % that would be worth losing 100 in the shield. Or the 100 extra shield being worth the drop in speed. I'm not sure what number yet would be worth it, but 12.5% Sounds solid. I can't tell though sadly because I would need to test this system in game to actually feel differences in speeds. Sadly i'm not a dev so I can't do this lol. This feature mind you will not have a huge impact, but it would help to differ the classes and make major role categories. I believe if each class were put into a category or role then it'd be easier for players to pick what they really want to play.
  12. Lucidius134

If the infil/LA movement stacks w/ adrenaline you can kill netcode goodbye. Bring blind sighted by some one you wern't even rendering would be even more problematic.
  13. OneToFear

As much as the classes Armor Class puts them into categories their role in the game also puts them there.
    I'd say a Light Assault is a Light Armor Class unit because of its operations. While weight does matter in picking what Armor Class a Class goes into, their actual physical armor and their major role they play in the game matters more. I would say you could put infiltrator into a super light class and put light assault in a light class, but that would be too much. So in order to simplify this system and make Categories for classes to better refine the roles of classes, put them into as little categories as possible and put them into categories where they play the same role.
    To elaborate a little bit more

I put Light Assault and Infiltrator into one category together due to their specific similarity in their roles in the game and their physical appearance. While one class may have more weight than the other, they are generally close enough to put them into one group.

Medic and Engineer were a no-brainer for me, these two classes are both heavy support mainly. Due to this and their physical appearance, I decided it'd be best to group them up together and make them the median for the categories.

Heavy was the only class left and this class is the only class that performs this general role in the game and has this much physical armor. Maxes do have the same role ,but like I said in my other post a max is not a class.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I really do appreciate it.
  14. OneToFear

Actually with this system I was hoping they get rid of light assault adrenaline and give them their deserved faster movement speed. That being said, I think that with this system you should get rid of heavies shields making them slower and instead make their base speed slower over all.
  15. OneToFear

OK everyone I have taken all feedback into consideration and i'm going to edit my original post. Here's the edit with an updated twist.

NEW ALTERED VALUES AND IDEAS! :D

Infiltrators and Light Assaults will have a 400 shield/500 health and a 112.5%x the movement/running speed of the Medium Armor Class.
    • Light Assaults Class ability Adrenaline will no longer exist and the speed boost will be default, certs will be given back for it of course.

Engineers and medics as said above will keep their movement/running speed at the original 100% and an average 500/500 in health and shields.

Heavy Assaults will have a 600 Shield/500 Health and they will run at 87.5% movement/running speed of the Medium Armor Class.
    • Heavy Assaults shield ability will no longer slow the Heavy assault down due to their class speed will be lowered and they will run at this speed at all times.
    Maxes will not be changed at all since they are not really a class.

Alright guys, that is my new updated idea with all of your input so far. I kept some of it and altered some of it, but I have to say thanks a lot for the feedback and as always feedback will be much appreciated!
  16. OneToFear

Bump! Hoping to get some fresh ideas on this suggestion.
  17. Cinnamon

Things like adrenaline are fairly limited already because problems with the server latency and slow server update ticks mean that there can be a warping if people change directions too much. So the devs might feel they can't comfortably give any more meaningful movement speed buffs than there are already.
  18. OneToFear

That is true. However whenever the latency is not an issue in the future what do you think about this idea?
  19. Cinnamon

I think that it's pretty dumb that a heavy assault with an lmg can get better movement speed than a light assault with a carbine. But large sniper rifles should not be agile and even firing them standing up is sort of rambo territory. But if you make it all about weapon balance then HA get SMG with the overshield.

Technically a solution would be to have a stamina system that runs down stamina based on total weight and the current weapon in arm. Then being low on stamina could slow you down or add scope shake.

I'm not going to really consider them solving their latency and server tick rate/server load.
    • Up x 1
  20. OneToFear

I'll support that idea, that just may work. However, the devs would tell us that it is a lot of coding and too much to make and that they are very busy already. I like to think that the devs want fan based ideas, but sadly I don't think they care too much for our opinions. Eventhough this may be true I still like to state ideas on the forums to express myself.