[Suggestion] Change the Continent Lock Mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by anaverageguy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. anaverageguy

Been a long time since I played Planetside 2 regularly, and the only reason for it is the continent locking, which I have been looking forward to.

The fights that the continent locking has led to have been very enjoyable and exciting to play in, even as the losing side [though that's more of a personal preference].

However, it hasn't entirely met my expectations thus far. The reason is that the methods that allow for continent lock, winning alerts and capturing the most territory, are often hand in hand with simply having the higher population.

My proposal is simple, though it'll be a long while before implementation if at all. I think it's also in line with the direction PS2 will be going sooner or later.

1) Make the Warpgates available for capture and simultaneously give it strong defensive mechanics, heavily in favor of defense. No hackable terminals for the enemies, no barriers that are in the attackers' favor, no jump pads available to attackers.. save for things in place to prevent cheese tactics like the usual camping from the spawn room.

2) Replace the current territory% requirement for continent lock with control of all Warpgates, and make it so that assaults can be made on enemy Warpgates as long as there is at least one linked territory under control.

The implied changes:

1) Zergs won't always win all, as forces can be dispersed such that one simply deters advancing zergs for as long as possible with defensive armaments, while the others push for territory to gain access to the enemy Warpgate.

The enemy will, under ideal circumstances, need to adapt and split off it's forces.

2) Defense will be just as necessary as offense.

One factor of combatants simply leaving losing fights is that there is no reason to stay. They can go capture other territory or fight elsewhere where they're not getting one-sidedly beat down.

With this change, should combatants abandon a fight at a critical location in favor of one elsewhere that's of lesser importance, there will be consequences.

Force multipliers for defenders will probably be necessary for this to function completely well, but I believe this to be a better alternative over the current system.

tl;dr
    N/A
    • Up x 1
  2. OldCuban

Not a bad idea.

Though I doubt they'll ever make the warp gates capturable.

A better idea, IMHO, would be to allow spawning on a captured continent, thereby forcing the faction that captured it to defend it if they intend to keep the benefit bestowed by said capture.
    • Up x 1
  3. ProfessorHobbes

I hate to say it, but zergs do win all. It is nigh impossible to capture a continent while populations are even. The only way any faction is ever going to push through a continent and gain territory is if they have a hefty population advantage. I can see no possible way you would ever be able to assault and capture a warpgate from a faction unless you have a massive population advantage. I remember fights in the past where a faction would be pushed back all the way to one single base. No matter what we did or what tactics we used, it was impossible to take that base because every single member of the opposition was spawning at that base.

What I'm trying to say is continents are ALWAYS captured when the faction has a very high population. Either they are capturing a continent late at night, while the other 2 factions are busy with an alert, or if the other 2 factions just don't care. Making it harder to capture will just force them to create an even bigger zerg to take it.