[Suggestion] Change night time lighting on Amerish

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by frozen north, Feb 2, 2018.

1. frozen north

I'm going to be really blunt about this one. Night fighting on Amerish is way more difficult then it is on any other continent. On Indar and Esamir, the ground colours still provide decent levels of contrast against player camo patterns, and Hossins glowing plants makes night combat more interesting and at times easier then day time combat. However, night fighting on Amerish is just plain old frustrating, particularly when playing against the Vanu. Its not exactly fun when you can't see someone in front of you unless they are taking damage or shooting without a flash suppressor.

Another part of this issue is that I have some existing colour vision problems, which makes this night fighting issue even more problematic. In talking with friends, I have found that even players with proper colour vision still find this a challenge, and often for myself, it feels near impossible to see targets.

Also, yes, I am very well aware of the presence of night vision optics, but given that they restrict render distance, worsen target definition, come in a very limited set of zoom options, and at times make my colour vision issues even worse, I find them to be more hindrance then help.

Therefore, I want there to be changes made that allow night time combat to actually be doable, especially on Amerish. One of my main suggestions is to add in a colour blind mode to the game, as that will help lessen the excessive camouflage problem.

Alternatively, I would like to see new terrain elements get added to Amerish that allow for increased illumination during night time conditions, especially in and around facilities. One straight forward fix would be to add exterior lights to the structures that make up the majority of the facilities on Amerish.

Another possible fix would be the addition of a night combat favoring vision implant, which would force brighter and more contrasting colours to be seen. This would again, also aid colour deficient players a chance at being better able to see through camouflage while playing.
    • Up x 1
  2. Rydenan

On the contrary, I wish night was darker overall. Sure, VS armor is a bit unfair in the dark, but the solution to that is to give them some permanent luminous colors, like green.

Anyway, fighting at night back in the day (I could swear nights were darker back then) was a lot of fun. Equipping HS/NV scope in order to see was very fun, because you were actually gaining a potential advantage over enemies by being prepared. Today, the HS/NV is basically useless in all situations.
    • Up x 2
  3. FateJH

They actually have that already.
  4. Prudentia

There is no difference in visibility between Vanu, NC and TR at night on Amerish.
    they are all black
    unless they run hardlight armor in which case Vanu is the least visible of the 3... cause it's a rip off and provides way less LEDs than the TR and NC ones :c
  5. frozen north

Infra vision doesn't highlight infantry, only vehicles. It legitimately makes it harder to see.
  6. frozen north

I don't know. I just always seem to suffer the most to vanu in these cases. I suspect its because most of their colour scheme doesnt have something bright to look for at night, since NC have yellow, and TR have red.
    • Up x 1
  7. JibbaJabba

Infravision DOES highlight infantry.

Night Vision doesn't highlight infantry or vehicles. Threat detection optics highlight vehicles.
    Both are used as sights on vehicle weapons.

For infantry the HS/NV scope does highlight infantry.
    The Infravision implant for infranty also highlights infantry as mentioned.

--------------------

I would much prefer nights be returned to actual darkness. It was similar whining about not being able to see that got us in the current stupid state. This game used to be a LOT darker at night. During beta it was darker still.

This was AWESOME to play in. The day / night cycle actually mattered! You might even delay an offense then attack at night fall. When sunset came, people who took a moment to switch to night scopes had a competitive advantage.

The game is meant to be dark at night. The way it is today frankly sucks. And yeah, Vanu got an advantage at night. This played into the game. NC would switch to fighting TR at night, back to Vanu in day. People ran night vision. People that didn't had the intensity level cranked up. The world was more dangerous.
    • Up x 1
  8. frozen north

I do remember the days when nights actually mattered. Even then though, I usually avoided HS/NV, since I tended to find the lack of peripheral vision really annoying. Plus, it is really annoying to use with limited colour vision, since the difference between target and background is actually not enough to be reliable for me.

As for infra optics... well at least I know that one for sure now. Of course, needing a legendary grade implant is not exactly the solution I was hoping for.
  9. FLHuk

I believe it has been pointed out in many guides that any night time setting can be bypassed on the client. So don't expect any changes soon but you can all make changes to make your own experience darker or lighter as per your want!
  10. Naskoni

What, people STILL haven't discovered the existence of the NV scope for practically all primary weapons? The one that makes camo completely irrelevant? And has the finest crosshairs of all scopes? It costs 30certs per weapon, might as well buy one - takes less time than making such threads too...
  11. Pikachu

I'm surprised this hasn't been complained on earlier. So much complains on dark nights and fog yet when Amerish skyfile revamp came and night was made much darker and lots of fog added, nobody complained. :confused:
  12. JobiWan

It's not always night for everyone either. I've played several times with friends who are complaining it's too dark when it's been bright daylight for me.

Any 'advantage' gained by using NV might be moot if not everyone is seeing night time at the same time.
  13. Pikachu

It's a rare bug. Much less common these days.
  14. Jac70

VS aren't the only faction that are hard to see at night - all factions are pretty much invisible in the correct circumstances.

The main issue with night is the fact that people can just turn their gamma up to max and so completely mitigate the concept of lower visibility. I could do it if I wasn't so lazy, and didn't feel that doing such things is close to being an exploit. Still, don't see how that can really be stopped.
  15. Luicanus

I just wish nights lasted longer, it's almost never nighttime when you log in.
  16. Liewec123

i totally agree with this, part of the reason i hated hossin was that it was impossible to see through the darkness, fog and bloom.
    amerish does indeed seem to have much darker nights than on other maps, i HATE nighttime in this game,
    and amerish has the worst of the bunch.

my new monitor has "dark boost" and "adaptive contrast" settings so it greatly lessens the impact of annoying nightplay,
    but it'd be better if they'd just let us see...
  17. JibbaJabba

What I think would be awesome:

Change the day night cycle. 1/3 night, 2/3 day.
    Then make night as dark as it was in beta....black.