Carnage vs GR-22 Post patch

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by PanzerShrimp, Dec 31, 2013.

1. PanzerShrimp

So with the nerf to hip fire and 0.75 ADS.....

Which of these weapons do people consider better?

I have both but I always found the the GR-22 to be pretty fail unless you hip fire 90% of the time which I rarely do.

How does the GR-22 go with a fore grip instead of the adv. laser?

Might just be me but I kind of feel both these weapons aren't worth it anymore, or the GR-22 just isn't worth using over the Carnage.
  2. Inf1nite

The GR-22 can extend it's range of affectiveness with the forward grip because it takes out the nasty side to side recoil. I don't suggest using it out to more than 30 meters but it's great at close quarters. The Carnage AR is great because it can adapt. I prefer the Carnage over the GR-22 still, but the GR-22 is still a good option.
    • Up x 1
  3. Myrgatroid

IMO carnage is still very much worth it, but don't have enough experience with gr-22 to comment about it. The .75 ADS nerf hasn't affected my personal performance with this gun.

Default Gauss rifle is very nice as well.

Foregrip does make GR-22 feel a bit better, but just from my limited use with it, I see no reason to pick it over the Carnage.
  4. Badmagic362

Carnage all the way! One of my favorite weapons in the game. Good hip fire, range, damage, RoF, and controllability.
  5. TheGatorfan2

Depends. For CQC, definatly the GR-22 because of its hipfire, ROF, and SPA. For an all-rounder, the Carnage BR since its better at range. (Although the NC1 is the best all-rounder, as even with an adv grip, the recoil on the Carnage prevents it from being that effective at range)
  6. Dezik

I still take the Carnage over the GR. Even post nerf I haven't really felt much of a difference on either weapon.
  7. alexm42

The Carnage is more versatile because it does more damage at range and has more easily controlled recoil, but the GR-22 is better in close range because it kills faster.
  8. TheKhopesh

The Carnage AR (Back when it was called the Carnage BR) was my absolute favorite NC primary weapon in all of Planetside 2.
    It wasn't that it was overpowered. It was good, but not unfairly so. It was simply the weapon that I was best with (And a HECK of a fun weapon at that!).

I prefer the GR-22 now.

The recent nerf to all .75 ADS strafe speed guns did not take into account that the Carnage AR is BY FAR the slowest firing of all of them. and it's slowest for a reason.

It's the longest range weapon of all it's counterparts.
    Slower, but more stable. That made it VERY effective at range, as well a an above average close range weapon.
    It was 65% range oriented, 35% close quarters.
    Now it's simply the gimped gun of the bunch.

The TR got the TAR for range, and the Cycler TRV for CQC.
    The NC got the Carnage AR for range, and the GR-22 for CQC.

The VS got the H-V45, which was the best of all of them.
    As the HV could fulfill both range and CQC VERY nicely, they instead got the Corvus VA55, which is a VS version of the NC starter, the NC1 Gauss Rifle.

Sadly, now the NC are down one .75 ADS class AR, and instead have one decent .75 class AR and one slow-bus AR.

For all the TR out there, this nerf puts the carnage on-par with what they did to the striker.
    The striker did need to be lowered, yes. But we all agree they might as well have removed it, seeing as how overboard they went with it's nerf.

I concede that if SOE was intent on nerfing the .75 weapons, that the Carnage should as well be nerfed.
    HOWEVER!
    The MASSIVE problem is that it got absolutely neutered when they gave it the inaccuracy of CQC-specialty weapons.

The carnage is like the NS-11.
    Good at both long range and close range.
    It's primarily a range weapon, not a CQC weapon!
    If they want to fix this blunder, they either need to make the GR-22 an 845 fire rate, and the Carnage AR an 800 fire rate, or, raise the Carnage's accuracy with sustained fire back up so that it's once again a good ranged weapon.

The other medic .75 weapons ALL fire faster.
    So nerfing the carnage to be as accurate as a CQC-only weapon kills it's ranged use, just making it a CQC gun like all the others, but with the slowest of their fire rates.

TL;DR-
    The Carnage AR was nerfed a bit too much.
    It should have only gotten HALF the amount less accuracy that all the others did.
    It's the most unique of all the .75's in it's role, and SOE failed to take this into account when they nerfed ALL the .75's.
    • Up x 2
  9. Unclematos7

Yeah, I find it odd that they felt the need to nerf that while not touching the SVA...:rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  10. BeyondNInja

I have to completely agree with you here.
    Before the changes the Carnage was great cos it was an all-around performing weapon with the bonus of 0.75x ADS speed.
    It had a slight RoF edge for CQC but didn't have the typical poor moving accuracy or damage drop off of CQC weapons.

Now the increased horizontal jitter ruins it for me, even with the advanced forward grip.
    So basically, as you said, its no longer a good all around weapon with due to its poorer accuracy and increased jitter, and it still doesn't have the high RoF of other CQC-focused weapons. Same goes for the jaguar, to some degree, except the jaguar has soft point.

On the other hand the GR-22 trades a slightly longer reload for more reliable recoil, soft point ammo and higher RoF.
    Personally I find the GR-22 to be one of the few non-smgs to be worth using a laser sight on, since the stock recoil is so reliable.
  11. RockPlanetSide2

The Carnage AR is a pure and simple 100% upgrade to the starting NC1 Gauss Rifle. Anything the starting rifle does, the Carnage does better, the NC1 is good, but the Carnage simply beats it, and that why you pay for it.

The problem with the GR22 is that you might as well just use the Blitz Sub Machine gun, as its simply a better weapon in any capacity that the GR22 would be used.

There is simply no reason to give up everything the Carnage can do for the GR22, for a marginal increase in rpm. A CQC setup on the Carnage is almost identical to the GR22 anyways. The GR22's damage is just pitiful at medium-medium range.
  12. Nakar

Compared with the Carnage, the stock Gauss...
    • Has greater ammo efficiency and DPM.
    • Has vastly lower horizontal recoil and a more predictable pull, meaning it can run a Laser Sight and not wobble much if at all.
    • Hits distant targets more accurately and reliably than the Carnage, and for more damage.
    • Is more accurate at a standstill and no less accurate while moving in ADS.
    • Is free and requires less than 200 certs invested in order to reach its full potential. It costs 200 certs each to get the Carnage its best Laser Sight and Forward Grip, due to having access to Advanced of each.
    • Has better muzzle velocity, pretty much the best in the entire game (outside a Gauss Burst with HVA and sniper rifles).
    It is by no means an upgrade. It's basically a weapon that dials in its performance to closer ranges while retaining mid-range viability instead of being more mid-long with some close-range viability, trading off recoil for ADS movement speed and mandating a greater cert investment to specialize within its specialization. It's a very good sidegrade, but that's all that it is.
  13. TheKhopesh

Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there who understands this weapon.
    I constantly hear TR and VS say that I am entirely wrong, simply on the basis that it's a .75 ADS weapon, with no actual use of the Carnage or pre-nerf experience with it.

As well-
    I consider the Carnage having any other rail attachment than the Adv. grip a bit pointless (Unless you're using the Adv. laser sight for CQC while grinding Auraxium on it, and circumstances are keeping you from finding a non-CQC fight. Needless to say, this is rather uncommon though).

If you're going to use it strictly for CQC, go with the GR-22 instead.
  14. TheKhopesh

The GR-22 has greater ammo efficiency (It does not run out as fast as the blitz) as well as higher DPS.

It also has about half-again the effective range of the blitz.
  15. SnatchMaster

The carnage is better if you tend to engage at longer ranges from time to time, but when the fighting gets up close and personal, the GR 22 is something I'd prefer to have.
  16. BeyondNInja

Soft Point Ammo is a pretty good reason to use the GR-22 over the Carnage for CQC.
    They're both quite good CQC AR's, but the GR-22 has the advantage here, I just wish it had a faster reload...