Can't turn on GPU Physics - GTX 680

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Charlie, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Charlie

As you might have guessed from the title, I can't turn on GPU physics!

Back in beta I could, but now the checkbox for doing so is greyed out, and does not respond when I click it!

As I noted, I'm running a GTX 680, so in theory I should be able to use this. Is there a known issue with this card?

2. Mansen

They removed PhysX on launch - expect patch notes mentioning a re-enable at some point.

It caused too much crashing.
  3. Stigma

The answer is that the feature has been disabled on purpose because the devs didn't feel that it was ready for general use (too much of a performance hit on it still). At least this is what I heard about it. It is still possible to enable, but you have to do it from the useroptions.ini file manually.

I think all that is needed is to put in:
    GpuPhysics=1
    under the [Render] heading

EDIT: Here is a nice little video showing off the few things in the game that has PhysX effects for it so far. When hte feature is properly ready I expect more types of effects will be added to other stuff too - probably especially weather effects and such. PhysX is pretty much perfect for simulating small pieces of debris and raindrops in a rainstorm ect. ect.

I expect I could sit and just watch those elevators for quite a while ;)

So for example here is how ultra settings might look:
    [Rendering]
    VSync=1
    OverallQuality=-1
    GraphicsQuality=4
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=4
    LightingQuality=4
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    EffectsQuality=4
    TerrainQuality=4
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=4
    ParticleLOD=4
    MotionBlur=1
    AO=1
    RenderDistance=-1.000000
    Gamma=0.490000
    MaximumFPS=250
    GpuPhysics=1

Hope that helps. Play around it with, but don't be too disapointed if it hurts your framerate a bit. It needs an optimization pass and they probably just set that aside to work on later since it a non-critical part of the game after all.

-Stigma
  4. Mansen

I still haven't heard a single case of the UserOptions.ini override actually having any effect - toggle ingame or not. Post launch*
  5. Stigma

Yea apparently how this worked got changed with launch, so sorry for the outdated info.

-Stigma
  6. Charlie

Thanks for the info anyhow guys!
  7. Fugly

I enabled physics and ultra settings by modifying the ini file and watched my combat fps drop from 60 to 30.... lol F that not worth it
  8. Freyar

With what GPU?
  9. dsiOne

So is there any work around to enable this delicious eyecandy? I still see a GPU PhysX dll in the root folder, but the ini does nothing. (I went to set it to 1 after watching the video... it was already set)
  10. Fugly

gtx670 & i7 3770k
  11. Freyar

Bummer. I'm on a Q9550 with a 670 myself. Maybe dedicating a 465 would put the edge off a bit.
  12. Miguel

I'm rocking a 680 and a dedicated 560 for physx. Can't wait for it to be put back on. Anyone have any ideas if they got a date in mind or anything?