Can we please scrap the idea of consumable implants?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Rigsta, Jul 16, 2013.

1. PS2Freak

I am also against SC payment for implants ( it also promised by higby, see picture below ), and temporary could go as well.. make it permanent and certs only.
    • Up x 4
  2. EvilNinjadude

See Tribes:Ascend Perk system for a way to handle Implants. You get Ultra Capacitor and Determined standard, then can branch out for things like Reach (flag capping) or Ultra Heavy (Flag or point defense). Implants (also suit slots, pretty please) should just work like that.

ALSO see Tribes:Ascend for what happens when the Microtransaction market model in a F2P game is flawed, and new updates make players unhappy. If you didn't get the News, HiRez is now focusing on SMITE because T:A is becoming a WASTELAND. And T:A needs only a few players to make a match fun. This game needs dozens, no, hundreds of us.

Tl;dr.... What OP said.
    • Up x 1
  3. xen3000

This really just sounds like a Cert-Sink to prevent players from having nothing to spend certs on (and they get penalized if they do not...). This is bad game design.
    • Up x 2
  4. Puppy

I thought it'd be stuck to your character... Only one unless you wanna switch and that would cost something. That would reinforce the 'implant' idea as well as stop people from just switching out to whatever situation they might encounter. This is to big of a game changer to just be added like this.
  5. xen3000

I like the idea of them locking to a loadout (slot?) and requiring a cert investment to remove the implants. They can even have the implants destroyed if removed, so it can be a cert-sink if the player constantly changes out implants. IDK, but something better then this ****.
    • Up x 2
  6. OldMaster80

700 - 750 SC or 1000-1100 certs.
    Unlockable account-wide if bought with SC.

Consumable implants just make no sense.
  7. Koldorn

This I would buy. The consumable model? Makes about as much sense as single-use camos.
    Something that quite apparently has power in game? Eh, I like planetside but I'll walk before I have to rent to remain competitive.
    • Up x 1
  8. illgot

hell, this would be cheap for me. I would pay 1000 SC per character or 2500 SC for an account wide implant I can use on any character and any class and any loadout.

We are not talking about a side grade, we are talking direct upgrade against anything in the current game.

And no matter how cheap the rental system is, I am against renting gear as much as I am gambling boxes. I will never spend my money on renting gear or gambling boxes in any game I play.
  9. ItZMuRdA

I personally would prefer a permanent upgrade model for implants as well, but considering that is a major shift in design direction, I think one simple change would make me much happier with them also:

Treat them like single use camos used to be, or even enchants in WoW if you want to make that analogy. Keep them consumable, but remove the timer. Let them be purchased relatively inexpensively on a per-loadout basis, but they should last forever or until swapped with a different implant, at which point you'd have to purchase another if you wanted to change back. It keeps the underlying idea that SOE has proposed for them, but removes a good bit of the frustration associated with it, imo.
    • Up x 1
  10. Rigsta

Smedley tweeted that they're going back to the drawing board with implants.

I guess they heard us :)
    • Up x 6
  11. EvilNinjadude

/thread

Back to the Roadmap everyone!
    • Up x 1
  12. Neopopulas

This is the greatest moment in Planetside 2 history. The Devs brought out something that was almost universally panned by the playerbase, something that no one seemed to like, and BAM, they pulled it, they'll fix it (hopefully) but they are willing to try.

This is a great day people, and it shows that the Devs listen, and care. And that shouldn't go unacknowledged.
    • Up x 3
  13. KnightCole

Yes, the SoE devs listen. Its why the AA was buffed and air was nerfed. Why we got so many more AV guns and tanks got nerfed to hell.

They listen, it just depends on if what they listen to serves our own biases or not.
    • Up x 1
  14. Glastium

Selling consumable implants for real money could potentially make players leave the game. Buffing and nerfing stuff in-game will most unlikely do. You can't compare these two.
  15. UberBonisseur

16. MorganM

Looks like we are vastly out numbered on this one man. I personally don't see what all the drama is about. If they only last per loadout then wow that's so short. Any good player in this game changes loadouts very often because that's how you adapt as situations change; there is no one universal loadout.

Lots of entitled brats whining about how they should be permenant. Not really a valid agrument to me; they just want these power ups available all the time. Some of them aren't even complaining that they are OP... they just want their OP toys available all the time.

I do agree with the people saying there needs to be pros AND cons. They should be a side-grade or at a minimum have a down side. Totally legit argument there.

P2W? Well these people already feel the game is P2W so you'll never win them over until there's no revenue source for SoE. Just like everything else you can buy with certs and SC. The SC is just a means to expedite the same results everyone else can achieve. It also pays to keep this game running! Servers, power, cooling, and EMPLOYEES cost a hell of a lot of money.

Personally I think SoE is doing this because they need to setup a more steady flow of money. It's not some evil greedy capatilist scheme. I'm sure they have the data that shows subscribers dont last; many of us have dropped them because we've unlocked everything we need and almost everything we want. XP bonus isn't a big deal because getting to BR100 is only for bragging rights and you already unlocked most everything you want so who cares about certs? Resources bonus is nice but not worth $15/mo. People spending money on SC for random things isn't stable or predictable; I'm sure their CFO and accounts are telling them they need a more reliable, steady, predictable revenue stream.

They need a means for peopleto keep spending a little money every month indefinately. This is a great way to do that. I'd totally buy them. I think they can be implemented in a way that isn't stupid OP. However it looks like I'm in the vast minority here.
  17. user101

Since you can't keep creating new guns forever then the next thing you do is create implants. I don't see this as being any different than the guns were. I am sure there will be implant booster kits also. The next thing will be weapon booster kits.
  18. lyravega

They should archive this "feature" for a while, and focus on something else. Now, they're just rushing things to say "we are delivering content!"...
  19. Rigsta

Hey guys, OP here. Thanks for the likes, but please be aware this is an old thread referring to the original implant system not the proposed new one, which is going to be quite different - using "loot" instead of certs, and having a no-implant-loaded bonus.
    • Up x 2
  20. Ash87

Not as much, because it has a TON of old information. Some of his points about individual implants are still relevant, but saying that the whole thing is once against relevant is misleading because of how much misinformation it has the potential to spread.

Also, see quote.

• Up x 1