Can we please have a rangefinder for an attachment?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Heyitsrobbie1984, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Heyitsrobbie1984

discuss!!!
    • Up x 2
  2. vanu123

I wouldnt mind
    • Up x 1
  3. Alarox

I would love one for all of my classes. I would even love one for my Vanguard.

It has the same practical use for all of them.

It lets you learn the amount of fall-off and lead you need at specific distances. For sniper/tank teams, you can literally say "550m aim right between the 2nd and 3rd notch" for specific zoom levels.
    • Up x 1
  4. Heyitsrobbie1984

oh and when you spot the enemy and the distance comes up on your hud telling you how far you have to compensate when you look down your scope
    • Up x 1
  5. YuanrangJA

Would be amazing as an implant or as an attachment.
    • Up x 1
  6. Heyitsrobbie1984

or maybe the range finder should be built into the scope
    • Up x 1
  7. Village

As a rail attachement for bolt actions it would be great, since foward grips and flashlights are useless.
    • Up x 3
  8. Heyitsrobbie1984

if people are gonna equip the grips on the bolt actions, it should reduce the sway of the weapons
  9. m44v

I think a rangefinder would dumb down sniping a lot, but maybe in the from of binoculars that would use a suit slot is ok.
  10. Heyitsrobbie1984

Maybe they should create a new slot. a helmet slot that you could have NV or the range finder installed. spot the enemy and not only do u spot them you also see the distance count beside them
  11. TheHuntsman

interesting i said a similar idea awhile ago got shot down because it make things easy but i still say its a good idea
  12. m44v

Then it would be meaningless, the point of using a suit slot is that you have to discard your medkits or recon dart for equip it.
  13. DrTeeth

It would make sniping too easy imo.. there's little enough skill-based gameplay in PS2 as it is guys.
  14. LownWolfe

I would think it would make for an interesting replacement for the recon tool. This would make you choose between two highly useful things and it make for some balancing mechanics.
    ps I use the recon tool and have it certed so don't
  15. Rohxer

Recon tool replacement or implant.. but I'd still probably stick to what I do now. Minimap-right-click-add-waypoint....
  16. huldu

Just put a waypoint down somewhere and use that as an indication, works great for me. However 550+ meters? How do you even see enemy players at that range. It seems totally random. I've switched the view distance from lowest to highest(I run highest btw) and it makes no difference. It just seems server side, probably dependent on the amount of people or something. Sometimes you see people further away, most of the times it seems quite low range.
  17. Moppykins

I used to play DF:BHD a lot (really old crappy gameplay/graphics but really fun). It had adjustable scopes for snipers, if you figured out how far away your target was you could adjust your scope to compensate for bullet drop in increments of 100 yards (fairly similar to how you can manipulate scopes in.. well reality). When used in conjunction with a rangefinder you can zero in your scope without firing a single shot, which is awesome.

But, it may be too easy to just read numbers and adjust scope in PS2. Either way, it's important for an infil to know target distance +- 50 yards for dmg dropoff reasons. And that one silly LA trooper who tries to kill me with his carbine from 300 yards. Someone get him a rangefinder.
  18. LT_Latency

Use your mil dots to range find.

You measure how many tall the enemy is in mill dots, Then relate that number to pick the mil dot to aim with.

Example, if my enemy is only 1/2 a mil dot tall, So i need to aim with the third mil dot.
    • Up x 4
  19. K2k4

This was suggested long ago when the game was young and SMGs weren't available so infiltrators had to snipe all the time. I believe the general consensus was that the game engine didn't have the capability for such an attachment. Don't get me wrong I would love this added but I don't think that the designers can add this.
  20. Tenebrae Aeterna

Agreed.

We already have smokers lung, I think it's plenty complicated.

We already have smokers lung, I think it's plenty complicated. All a rangefinder would do is alleviate a little of the guessing game involved, and conserve a bit of ammunition.

Even Delta Force: Land Warrior had scopes that could zoom and were equipped with a range finder...I can't see why such a thing couldn't be incorporated into Planetside 2. It seems like a pretty simplistic feature.
    • Up x 1