Can the Vortex just be sustained laser beams?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Beartornado, May 3, 2013.

1. Beartornado

I've wanted to see a weapon that could do this for a while, you could make the lancer the same too for all I care. I'm NC myself, I just think it would be a cool weapon (especially since the general consensus appears to be that Vortex is worse than Lancer and most VS don't like the Lancer anyway).

The "charge" period would replace reloading. You'd have your reserve of energy/ammo and you charge a certain amount of it to effectively fill your "clip" then you just unload it in a concentrated beam, which you can instantly turn off and on until you run out again and have to "charge" some more.

Except this time make the dps something that doesn't make the other ESRL and MAX AV weapons laugh at VS.
    • Up x 7
  2. LuckyImperial

I up-voted more for your sig than the idea...but the idea I totally agree with too. Lol. That buisness phone...
  3. Onetoo

While I think that a sustained beam would be more of a nerf for the Lancer/Vortex (easier to find the source of the projectile), I think I would prefer it because it would be straight up awesome. I'm kinda with you on this one, I'm surprised that the VS don't already have a beam weapon.

I had originally hoped that the Lancer would be a beam weapon that rapidly scaled in damage the longer the beam was held on a single target, but honestly it's still a nice weapon the way it is currently.
  4. Littleman

Hah, as a primary TR, I find the idea of being caught in a beam of light growing exponentially more and more damaging over time an exciting addition to battlefield awareness and maneuvering.

The current lancer is a striker with velocity in place of lock on. It's a high skill cap weapon and ridiculously so. A full charge can be mucked up at the last second by an evasive maneuver.
  5. treeHamster

It should work much like the AA and AI turrets that have a heat up instead of "reload". You get X amount of ammo that falls off in a linear fashion with an overheat after X amount of sustained fire. However you can allow it to cool down prematurely which reduces the overall cool down time the way the turrets and tools work.

I'd be much happier with this than what we currently have. I'd actually be happy if all the VS ESW's were like this. The upcoming pistol, the lancer, the vortex. Just a sustained beam weapon would be great. But SOE doesn't give a sh*t about what the community says and does what they wanna do which will be this stupid charging mechanic which will be implemented on the pistol and not a single one will be sold.
  6. Sebyos

As long as it does better damage !
  7. LightningWolfTigrBer

I'd like to see this happen, but unless the sales on the Vortex are abysmal it's highly unlikely we'd see them completely overhaul the gun's mechanics. I remember seeing Higby tweet in response to this very suggestion and basically said "It would take too much work". Somebody reminded him that the Lasher in beta used to function in much the same way and that they could just copy and paste that, but he never replied.

Found the tweet here:https://twitter.com/mhigby/status/327631680846303232