can some one please tell me what the community in general thinks about

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Xidaraf, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Fenrisk

2 hits? You obviously have no idea about Air combat or Infantry to air combat. I guess your one of them pilots who flys off to repair if he takes so much as a scratch.

You can unload 4 grounders in a row on one sythe and they are still kicking. That is 40 seconds of a heavys time focusing on taking out 1 small aircraft without success. Anything bigger and you need 8-10 rockets just to get them into the red.

In comparison i can take a sunderer out in 20 seconds at throwing distance. I can take a flash tank out in half that time if they are silly enough to not move when i throw my anti tank grenades. I can bust tanks if they make mistakes but a aircraft can make the same mistakes as a tank and survive. Aircraft sit in the sky letting me hit them with 4 rockets while lolpodding infantry then they fly off to fix and reload. That's how laughable a grounder is now. The lolpodders mock infantry by hovering right above them knowing they can't do any significant damage even if they have grounders.

If a aircraft sits there hovering then infantry should their own weapons to take it out. I don't mean turrets or maxxes. Grounders should do what their name suggests. Ground aircraft. Not slightly scratch their paintwork.
  2. Fenrisk

Really? If infantry weapons were that effective why do aircraft hover right at the spawn door letting themselves get shot? It would take a infantry weapon maybe 10 mins just to kill a sythe thats landed and abandoned.

If someone rolls a max as soon as they pop their head out every lolpodder at the farm focusses its fire on killing it because the thing is so slow. At least on a heavy you can dodge in and out of cover to get some rockets off. Maxes are sitting ducks for any average pilot. Pilots brag about taking out maxes all the time.

Even IF the infantry comes up with enough maxes or grounders to scare off the aircraft. None of them die. They just move onto the next spawn room looking for a easy farm. That is the state of aircraft gameplay. Look for easy farms and if its too hard move on. Never getting blown up unless other aircraft constantly go after them.

Yestaday i chased one all the way back to his pad and jumped out to take the crew out as they did repairs. It was funny watching them rush back to repair the aircraft instead of trying to take me out in a infantry fight After 4 deatrhs they finally came at me but in a MAx lol.
  3. Keiichi25

A small education to this population that seems to be missing here in understanding certain things.

In all the wars with regards to tanks and air... Yes... Air and tank power is extremely powerful against infantry. However, properly prepared infantry has also taken down air and tanks as well. This is not the whole "Call of Duty", or "One Man Army Corp" thinking, and while Medal of Honor and Call of Duty focuses on a "one man" thing, that is a story telling focus that is suppose to involve the player to get into the feel.

But what a lot of people who want to stay in tanks, to stay in their planes, fail to understand, which is pointed out time and time again by Medal of Honor 2010 and Warfighter is limitations of the Air support in the Campaign Mode. A lot of you also fail to understand that in the days of the Iraqi War both in '92 and in 2000s, the modern M1 Abhrams and aircraft were limited due to conditions of the field. We are playing a game where you guys don't have to maintain said hardware, you are pulling them out like you just bought a new iPad from the store. Except this hardware does not have engine problems due to craptastic dirt from the northern desert fields of Indar, or overheat due to being put on strain or even limited to the number of rocket rounds or fuel for engagement time, or even the limitation of resources in order to field said vehicles, which includes heavy ordinance.

And when I say limitation of resources, this is not the 'amount of ammo' the vehicle carries, but the simple fact that said ammunition itself is not 'infinite' in its supply. As much as you like the big explosions, the missiles, heavy tank rounds, are actually not nearly as 'expendable' as bullet rounds or infantry weapons. The cost of infantry weapons is much lower than the ordinance and manpower to loadup a tank or an airplane for the next engagement.

In all Air to Ground Engagements, given our current aircraft... Jet fighters are the least used in ground engagements. They are called to do runs, but their main focus is Combat Air Patrol, and they would have to be tasked specifically for ground attacks and even then, only on station to make 2 runs at most.

The VTOL attack crafts have to strike from range to avoid taking direct damage too easily, even the vaunted Russian Hind, known for it being heavily armored, can only take so much heavy fire. Infantry will be armed with various types of weapons simply because of the fact that they know they will have to engage various types of combat, and in most cases, will also be hitting places that require different kind of ordinance to breach or push in. This ordinance would also be used against vehicles.

Another thing a lot of you fail to understand is also how infantry is 'strong' against Vehicles and Air. As much as the US touts its technological superiority with Drones and Thermals, technology can still be overcome by the most simplest methods as well. The Mujadim fought the Russians using the most simple methods. Same with the Vietnamese against the US. The US is still losing people to IEDs, both as infantry and as armor groups.

In the end, Infantry will always be in war, and will have the occasional advantage over vehicles in certain cases. At the same time, the game has some limitations with vehicles because again, in war, the fielding of vehicles will always be expensive... Fielding infantry, on the other hand, will not be as expensive. And this is also why we don't put everyone in planes or tanks, but we will always give someone a gun and throw them into a fight.
  4. KAHR-Alpha

I was talking about dogfights of course.
  5. FateJH

I don't see why they would brag, unless MAXes really were something to write home about.

That is because they, much like you, are probably willing to attempt dangerous maneuvers for potential great reward, but only to a point. There's a limit to suicidal confidence even in a game where you always respawn.
    You also seem to have missed the memo: GAA is not designed to destroy Air unless the Air is stupid, stubborn, or poor. GAA is intended to disrupt and chase-off Air activity, to keep it busy until actual hard counters approach or the enemy Air moves on to greener pastures.

The MAX also always need to keep track of where his potential targets are in the sky. Don't shoot at the obvious targets unless they're also important targets. Look for the unobvious targets, the black dots in the sky you see a few hundred meters off who are flying towards your location. Bad and average rocket pod ESFs approach from a long distance off before they open fire; I've only met one good rocket pod user who popped up almost right up along side me, catching me slightly off guard and, if my Charge weren't ready to go, I wouldn't have been able to get underneath him safely and pelt him from below. Also, the Liberators who aren't too high in the sky, like a vulture hovering over. Shoot at them and keep moving and they'll eventually get moving when they realize the MAXes are more of a problem for them than they are being to the MAXes, then call the Engineer to come over and do his thing before the next pass.

Just as you can have poor pilots, you can also have poor AA MAX users, and a poor MAX user doesn't know how to juggle problems. But, I reiterate, and perhaps clarify, a one-arm Burster MAX is good enough to help out with AA defense. With relatively few enemy pilots, he will also be enough, so long as he can judge his targets.
  6. Duff_Chimp

I really don't know what your smoking, but share it around for everyone...

I was referring to A2A missiles, reading malfunction on your part. I'm fully aware how much damage grounders and annihilators do compared to a2a missiles, thats why i tend to soak the first missile so i can gauge it as a threat. I'm pretty sure grounders can down you in 4 rockets, annihilators in 5, dumb rocket in 1 for those noob hovering podders.

I really couldn't give two monkeys about ground based launchers, as generally they aren't a threat. What i can't stand is to have some real epic dogfighting spoiled by the guy who thinks its fun to to hover at altitude and spam a2a missiles down on unsuspecting pilots. If they are stupid enough to get close i can turn on them and fight, pretty much every a2a missiles user i have turned on has spazzed out and either fled or tried to evade really badly, easy kills. Mostly I get taken out without finding out where they were.
  7. rickampf

As infantry... ESFs don't bother me too much. There are many types of effective counters against them (well... at least if you are not wandering in the open field without support). Tanks against infantry are deadly... you will need to play smart and take cover (at least it should be).

As ESF pilot... This is really hard, You will need ground support for your attacks or you will be scattered in seconds... the AA in this game are very powerful. Against Reaver and Scythes i dont have too much problem... the Mosquito is fast and agile, if the pilot is good the Terran ESF are very dangerous to the others.
  8. Zenanii

In my personal opinion:

I am against the lock-on launchers available for the heavies as I think it makes AA too plentiful and infantry too flexible. Buster maxes are mostly fine, but wouldn't mind seeing them getting a boost to their natural explosive-resistant at the cost of effective range as liberators are in a pretty bad spot right now.

Assuming full flak armor I'd say dalton or shredder liberators are slightly underpowered, and battle galaxies are underpowered. Lack of roof on all bases would(did) make them a bit too strong, but if there is any kind of competent AA present they are practically useless.
    ESFs are a bit too flexible with their ability to have two weapons equipped. I would rather see them be limited to only one weapon, or at the very lest make rocket pods take up the nose gun slot (screw sense and logic)

The range of lock-ons and and turrets are too far. The dumbfire, mines and C4 are all balanced

Assuming full flak armor it is fine on paper, but lack of cover and poor base design make HEAT and HE tanks overpowered.

I don't use the vanguard and have barely touched the prowler so can't comment

Scythe and mosquito both seems fairly balanced, haven't used the reaver enough to comment

I dislike that they've given MBTs potent AA guns in their secondary seats, as it promotes independence over teamwork.
    Same as the burster maxes, I consider skyguards a tad too effective at taking down liberators and galaxies, would like to see effective range decreased,

ESFs are way too good at taking out tanks without giving up their AA or AI capabilities.
    Liberators are fine against armor, but there should be a damage penalty for bombing from max render distance/flight ceiling, forcing Liberators into AA range to be effective without having them getting shredded the moment they render.