Can I save some gamefiles to speed up a reinstall?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kite Carling, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Kite Carling

Hi, I'm going to reinstall windows on a new SSD. Can I save any PS2 files so that I can speed up the planetside 2 reinstallation? What files could I save and where would I put them after I have reinstalled windows?

Thanks a ton if you can help.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kite Carling

3. CrazyMike

WHAT IS WITH THESE GIANT BLUE BEAMS OF LIGHT THAT SERVE NO PURPOSE BUT TO DROP MY FPS INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS ?
  4. Virulent0o

If you are using steam, there's an option to back up the game.
    Right click on the game in steam and say backup game files.
    You can specify the backup to be in specific partition size to fit on DVDs or CDs or even floppies :confused:

To restore, click on steam tab and select "backup and restore game". Follow prompt.

Enjoy
  5. satarc

i think you came in the rong door crazymike
  6. haldolium

If you're not using steam, you probably won't get around a complete re-install.

If you're using steam however, you can simply copy your complete game folder (steamapps/common/), then paste it after re-installing steam, let steam check that you got the game and then just use it.

You can try that with the regular installation too, but it depends how the installation is done for PS2. Usually it has registry entries so windows is aware of the installation and other stuff. Sometimes however, games do not really need those.

So tl:dr in either case: copy/paste. With steam it should most definitively work, without you have to try your luck.

You don't need that. Copy/paste works fine.
  7. Sysion

OR!

You could just save the ps2 directory. I don't know where it is default since I use steam, but if you DO use steam, you can find it at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common'. This is useful if you need to reformat, for instance. Just back up the whole ps2 folder, reformat, put the folder back in the exact same spot. I imagine it would probably work the same without steam.

EDIT: Ninja'd!