Camo should auto de-cloak when firing

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Titanshells, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Titanshells

When you have a low-ttk fps and you add a delay in the ability to fire. That puts us at a big disadvantage in cqc, which becomes a lot worse when objectives are contested. I say, let us fire from cloak which will use up all the energy, and put a small delay time before energy begins to recharge. That way people won't be able to spam cloak to get in the first shot, and using cloak won't hinder your chances to kill an enemy in contested areas because of the delay time.
    • Up x 5
  2. Ximaster

I agree,im an user of low FPS computer,and always when i face an enemy in cqc i usually loose,because FPS are low. So i only can kill with long range weapons in my stalker,and the only one that is the best was the Blackhand.
  3. wetto

So i made this comment in another place because me and OP share the same thoughts so thought id post it here as well. The process of cloaking should be more intuitive. Theres nothing wrong with pressing L1 to engage and disengage it as you have to meter your gauge. The only problem is that it should let you fire while cloaked and subsequently disengage the cloak automatically. The cloak is not 100% invisible and having to disengage it in close range combat is a pita. By the time you get spotted and hit L1 to disengage the cloak, your opponent has already fired off 3 shots and your screen is twitching to hell so you cant aim anymore. I also think the cloak should be "ghosty"(90% invisible) 100% of the time. After a certain distance the infiltrators just plain dissapear(100%invisible) until decloaked.
  4. Jac70

I main Infiltrator, currently I am using a CQC Sniper build with NanoArmour Cloak and a 2X Ghost sniper rifle. I am in two minds about this suggestion. I think it could make it too easy for close quarter snipers or SMG Infiltrators. The cloak is a very powerful tool on its own. That said, with NanoArmour cloak the amount of times I have had low cloak energy, the cloak has run out so I have pressed my activate button, which just re-engages the cloak so I cannot fire - is absolutely rage inducing.

On balance I feel the cloak should be user managed to increase the skill cap. The cloak losing all energy when shooting whilst activated is a good suggestion for giving a downside to poor cloak management though I am not convinced it would be enough of a disadvantage.
    • Up x 1
  5. Liewec123

since this has been necro'd i'll jump in too,
    while i think it would be a nice QoL change,
    you do get used to manual stealth, play infil for awhile and you don't even think about it,
    stealthing and reloading / unstealthing and firing just seem to happen automatically. ;)
  6. Titanshells

It is nice to see some input on this :D
  7. Kohme

Seconding this.

I frequently end up re-activating a spent cloak when trying to open fire by mistake, especially when aiming through high-magnification scopes that fill up the whole screen. Having a system in place to prevent that would be welcome.

Draining the energy on "decloak-on-fire" sounds like a good way of retaining the significance of player skill in cloak management, while not penalizing human error in cases where the cloak is already depleted.
  8. SLK18

There is no reason this should not be implemented, the cloak sundy has the same mechanic; it decloaks you when you shoot. Just copy-paste-modify the code, boom done.
  9. Kirppu1

Because infils are supposed to fight 1v1 cqc
  10. Jac70

Thinking about this, what if you couldn't re-engage your cloak until it had restored a third of its energy. That should stop the engaging a depleted cloak in the middle of a fight by mistake PITA :eek:

I suggested years ago the the scope should become opaque when you are ADS and cloaked - that would make it much easier to know your cloak state whilst aiming in the heat of battle.
    • Up x 1
  11. Raysen

I feel like cloak should work the same way it does on Crysis: shooting while cloaked drains the energy bar the same way it would as if you run. Depending on the weapon used, a bullet could consume partially or entirely the energy, disabling the cloak.

1) It is fair because the player shooting without first decloaking will be unable to cloak again untill the energy recharges
    2) It also gives the bonus of pulling a single bullet without decloaking (if you have enough energy for that).
  12. Titanshells

Where in my post did I say anything about a 1v1.
  13. Kirppu1

oh sorry; "That puts us at a big disadvantage in cqc" You aren't supposed to fight in Cqc
  14. Titanshells

Yes you are right, they should just run away and make no attempt to defend. They don't have access to things like SMG's which were designed for CQC. Oh wait......gasp! Infiltrators do! That means they can be effective in CQC! Yes I know, mind blowing right?

"You aren't supposed to fight in cqc" This alone is a red flag to anyone who reads this you haven't the faintest clue about your talking about.
  15. Biddion

This isn't a new idea, and if Sony were still in charge, I would say this idea isn't something they are interested in, however, Daybreak might consider it.

If something like this were implemented, and I were the designer, I would have left mouse button drop the cloak, but completely drain power to it. It would be applicable to all "lmb" actions including knife play and recon. If this would be too much of an advantage to inf. then an added penalty of 1 or 2 seconds for recharge to begin, similar to shields, could be introduced.
  16. Titanshells

They could add a 50% energy requirement to fire from cloaking. That way people won't just be running around opening fire from cloak whenever they want. This would add a huge incentive to managing energy and prevent people from just opening firing/knifing from cloak carelessly. It becomes a risk-reward situation because the sneak attack may not always succeed.
  17. Kohme

That doesn't adress the problem with accidental restarting of a cloak that depleted a split second ago. Draining all of the energy/up to a set percentage of it and applying a cooldown for recloaking (to avoid abuse in cases where the cloak level is low already) would be preferable.
  18. Sharkasaur

As much as I hate the decloak timer because I've experienced the frustration as well, removing it would make CQC infiltrators borderline OP.

Right now the decloak timer is tell-tale sign of "SURPRISE HIGSBY!", and gives the opponent about half a second to react before they're hosed down by SMG fire. Its removal would result in people getting killed by SMG/FA-scout infils before they can humanly respond, especially when latency is figured into the equation.

If implemented, the back lash against infils would be swift as people whine about "ezmode" SMG infils, and we'd likely see completely unrelated things get nerfed to the ground given how DBG handles things.

The only change the decloak possibly needs is a reduction to the noise level, so not everyone hears it and instantly turn around to kill you. Currently a large noisy fight is pretty much required to actually reliably cash-in on clever maneuvering and positioning (unless you're playing against bads).
  19. Titanshells

The two posts above me, you both have made some solid points about the issues de-cloaking would bring :)

Still, I do feel infiltrator is in need of some change. Though this is a bit off topic. Hacking in my opinion is just far too limited. The gagdets such as motion sensors only being useful in cqc situations also makes the class feel a bit stale.

But back on topic. If we were to somehow convince developers that the cloak de-cloaking when firing we need to address two key issues.

1. As Kohme pointed out, how do we address the accidental re-cloaking which I myself experienced earlier.
    2. What more balancing ideas can we offer so cloak auto de-cloaking when firing?
  20. Kirppu1

actually they are supposed to run away and stab in the back are you really that single minded?
    They are supposed to i dunno? Infiltrate?, not to go head on