Came back to PS2 after a year.. disappointed.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by xpsyclosarinx, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Crashsplash

They ran into the problem that always happens with software project of any type, it's harder to add features after you go live than it is before.

Someone mentioned that they've redesigned this and redesigned that, yup, I am surprised at the amount of rework done surely a lot of this should have been done in beta (proper beta that is).

A simple thing like design bases that could be defended seemed not to be thought about before beta commenced and they're still trying to catch up with fixing that one.

All in all I can see stuff that are better than the original however <and all this next bit has been said many times previously>.
    • Up x 1
  2. Ash87

Implants will be gained by killing people IG. You combine Implants to get better implants. That is the system they are currently working from. They threw out the old system of buying implants in September, because of the P2W accusation.
    • Up x 1
  3. potato1234

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/30/pla...ear-plan-wants-to-run-until-2025-if-possible/
  4. Pikachu

5. Lancener

They decided optimization was a larger problem than new content, I'd agree with that and now I'd say optimization should take a back seat and let some new guns and stuff get thrown in. Fun game regardless of new content, I really want those new snipers to come along though, still got certs saved for them that'll go to something else if I end up disliking them.
  6. potato1234

how the fuq is a ftp game supposed to make money if isn't p2w.
  7. Cab00se187

8. Ash87

Implants are just one feature of the game, and people weren't thrilled about how they were being set up around a pay to acquire model, as in the original game, they were acquired as a reward for character advancement.

There are plenty of things to buy in this game if you are so inclined: Cosmetics, guns, boosts, membership etc. all of which you have an increased chance of purchasing, the longer you are with the game, and the longer you are happy with the game. It is in the company's interest to introduce things that aren't monetized if it will encourage people to continue playing for that reason. Likewise there are things like continental lattice and competitive play support which lock people in by adding in long term goals and obligations.

Just because Implants wont cost you money, doesn't mean they don't contribute to this.
  9. potato1234

i see your point. but still, ppl needs to stop complaining about a f2p mmo being p2w, because however long a person has played, what is almost always required to get someone to spend money are things that can give advantages over other players, you can't make a game like this and expect to make money by selling ornaments and ****
  10. Goretzu

Yeah, I think a lot of the dedesign stuff could have been avoided in the first place if they'd just remembered the lessons of PS1 and used a bit more common sense (spawns that could be directly camped by tanks and aircraft were never going to be a good idea).
    • Up x 1
  11. Ash87

True, but what people are worried is the slippery slope that p2w can lead to.

There is Pay 2 win games using a loose definition of p2w like Planetside, where you do pay for items that help you IG... and then there are Pay 2 win games where you pay to get what is objectively an advantage over non-playing characters in the form of boosts and such that are inaccessible through gameplay alone. PS2 sits on the side of the line that is acceptable to most people, because while it is just faster to buy a gun, you -Can- earn it if you want to. There are games where that isn't a choice, you -have- to purchase items to advance, and the prices in games like that are insane. I heard of one, where you had to put in a $400 purchase to buy an upgrade that would pretty much unlock 75% of the game's content. Without the upgrade, you were up a creek.

That is what people Worry about the game sliding towards, and I would say that is a justifiable thing to worry about.

It's not as much individual things, as much as it is concern over trends.

If it counts, I only think 1 thing in this game is unacceptable in terms of being to the darker side of the p2w spectrum, and that is sniper rifles, and that is just me. As a whole the game is fine, and there is nothing coming down the pipe that I know of, that makes me worried otherwise.

Also "Ornaments" are a TON of money. Consider this, there is one player studio guy who got a 6,000 dollar check for one of his items. That is one item, and that is 40% of the money made on that item, of which there are Hundreds in the game currently. That adds up quick. And that was over like a 2 month span, some items have been in game and been continually purchased for greater than a year now.
  12. Posse

Did you play Path of Exile?
    • Up x 1
  13. potato1234

what this game really lacks is any kind of interesting long term goals, or lack of a metagame, there is no real sense of progression for your faction or your character that make the game addicting. while a kind of faction progression might be created by adding continent locking or other things, (the more important) character progression is apparently harder to address because the game is supposed to be fair, so the average br 20 daily k/d ratio is probably the same as the average br 60 k/d ratio, veteran plays can't be rewarded with longer kill streaks because that would result in longer death streaks for newer players. and the current game just seems like a grind without a point with good gameplay

but if they were to implement npc armies: http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/30/pla...ear-plan-wants-to-run-until-2025-if-possible/
    • NPC armies – imagine as the commander of a base sending an NPC army towards another base MOBA style except it’s in the middle of the Planetside 2. This isn’t another game mode. It’s all part of the same game.
    it would reward veteran or paying players by making them more efficient at killing without punishing new players. i just think this could make the game so much better
  14. Crashsplash

It a question I keep asking myself and I fully accept that the devs backed by smed are trying not to go down the route of p2w.

I also saw a vid in the early days when Higby asked himself the same question but he followed it up with a quote like "but the accountants with speardsheet assure me it will work".... so....

The answer to me is to keep on getting new players to join the game, new players will buy boosts and weapons and comos whereas old players like me already have what we want so purchases will be few and far between from now on.

Also, if you're going to entice new players you have very much got to keep spending on promotion and to keep the game development up and I think they're doing that, certainly much more than ever happened with ps1.
  15. Crashsplash

omg no.

If ps2 is to be anything it has to stay true to itself NPC armies are a different game altogether.