[BUG] Bullet drop and bullet... elevation?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Prideful, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Prideful

So at long distance you gotta aim above target to hit etc etc... but the other day I was at the Crown on the ledge bit sniping down onto enemies below almost to a point where you can't aim your gun any lower and I missed a few shots even though I tried aiming slightly above or directly on target. Funny thing was though I actually had to aim... LOWER and use the upper mil-dot to hit the baddies...?

Is this a bug or is there some kind of physics behind it?
    It was with the V10 w/ 12x Mach Scope.
  2. giltwist

The scope is calibrated for a certain distance (somewhere around 200m) on a level field. If you shoot less than that or facing downwards, you get less than the expected amount of bullet drop, so it appears to rise in your scope.
  3. Rognik

This is how guns work in real life; weapon sights are calibrated so that a bullet will hit the exact point you are aiming at when firing at a certain range (usually 100 meters minimum). This means the bullet actually arcs upward on the way to its target. It makes it much, much easier to hit targets at longer ranges. See picture:
    [IMG]

Video games have taught people that the sights and the barrel are always parallel, which in reality is a very, very dumb way to sight a weapon. It's actually kind of telling that this was reported as a bug.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealityIsUnrealistic
  4. DeusExMachina

@Rognik:
    Please show me a video showing that scope is zeroed on certain range in this game. It should be done while aiming down, straight and up.
  5. Lucidius134

6. Jests

Aiming seems pretty buggy in this game. I know if you aim down and you're standing on the edge of a rock (read: a world model as opposed to terrain) the bullet will just straight up disappear. Almost like it's hitting the rock you're standing on (even though that would be impossible given the angle). Sometimes I literally have to stand up because if I duck the bullet bugs out.

Also, I've noticed if you're aiming down you do have to aim significantly lower. I think it's a combination of the facts of the bullet raise like mentioned above, and also that from about the upper-forehead up the bullet actually will go through them without hitting. When you're looking down it's hard to get an accurate bearing on where the actual HITBOX is vs the model attached to the hit boxes.

Really it's just sloppy coding for the hit detection (just like in the source engine... if you've ever sniped there it's a nightmare of a guessing game. Admittedly, it's no where near that bad here)
  7. DeusExMachina

@Lucidius134:
    Well that's funny because you are the ones that do claims that bullets in this game behave unlike in other games and that it elevates the same while shooting straight as while shooting up or down.
    What is more nowhere did i say you're wrong, i've just politely asked for a video proving (yes proving, but not as in "prove that you're not wrong") and documenting that bullet behaviour.

Thank you for the link with the video.
    I've done quite a few test myself and, in fact, i do have my own opinion on that matter yet as i see you're more eager to argue rather than to reason so i'll go away quietly.
  8. Lucidius134

I don't use long range snipers and figured the defaults seemed unzero'd so they all would.

This is my first time posting in this thread so I don't see what I could possibly be wrong about. You made a claim and then requested some one else provide the evidence. That's a logical fallacy.

It'de be nice if in the infantry weapon stats the zero ranges were listed.
  9. DeusExMachina

Ehh... You (singular) are defending the "scopes are zeroed" theory so i used you in plural form. I made no claim, you (you in general, Rognik or whatever) made a claim that scopes are zeroed. I did not argue, and going with your "logic" the burden of proof is on "you".
    Eristics much, ay?
  10. Taibhsean

There is a reason that snipers usually work in pairs. One shooter and one spotter. The spotting scope can double as a range finder which the spotter tells the shooter what range to dial their scope to.

We shouldn't have to aim high with a scoped weapon manually. The player should "automatically" dial the scope for a given range or perhaps this could be a button that you have to press before shooting (like holding your breath). This doesn't mean you have to do it every single time but if you set the scope for 800m you should have a 200m buffer where your round with hit ~3 inches high or low.
  11. EvaJones

Bullets also drop toward the ground. If your gun barrel is aiming down at an angle, the bullet drop is going to be different compared to if your gun barrel is parallel to the ground. More noticeable when the vertical distance is far greater than the horizontal distance.
  12. Benevon

The long and short of it for the OP....it's not a bug.