Building new PC, Need advise.

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Battlebear, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Battlebear

Hello everyone,

Im soon going to build a new PC but I dont know how to finish it. Also note that this PC is not only for playing PS2 as I'm also playing alot of other games. I know that an SSD is better but they are just to expensive for me. This is what I want to get.

Intelcore I7 3770K
    Gforce GTX 660
    16 GB RAM
    500 GB HDD ( )
    2 TB Storage (In raid)

Now I need to finish it but i have no idea how.. What motherboard do you recommend? Soundcard? voltage? Did i miss anything else?^^

All help will be appreciated:)
  2. irishroy

i am not a pro @PChardware, but this is what i think ;) :

i have heared, that the i7s are not really worth it for the game.
    a i5 will do the same work and is also a bit cheaper.
    (maybe an i5 3570k with 4 cores at 3,4 GHz. |turbo-mode: 3,8 GHz.| OC'd ~4 GHz)

GTX 660: hmm, well.
    i think a GTX560ti would also be good. the GTX660 is like a superhighendmonsterhypercyber-beast.
    and the GTX560ti is "just" a superhighendmonsterbeast, also cheaper again. ;)

16 GB RAM: 16 GB are not bad.

just my 2 cents.
    • Up x 1
  3. Akordia

My new config look like your :
    Corsair Vengeance Blue, 4x4GB
    Intel Core i7 3770 BOX, 3.5GHz
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120GB
    Asus GTX-660 Ti
  4. Irathi

Drop the 3770K (it is a waste of money for games) and go for a 3570K if you intend to overclock, if you have no intention of overclocking then go for the i5 3470.

The 3470 runs 200mhz slower and has the built in HD2500 which makes no real difference as you have a dedicated GPU. It also a locked multiplier which limits your overclocking possibilities to raising the FSB. The operating frequency of a cpu = FSB x Multiplier.

The GTX 660 is a decent card, but I would recommend you go for the Ti version if you can. An alternative if you find a cheap one is the HD7950 which is around the GT660ti and GT670 in most tests. Depends on the driver and clock used in the test. The GT660 is just below the HD7870 now in overall score [source].

About ram, all you need is 8Gb, since your budget is tight I suggest you drop down to 2x4 or 1x8 module and spend the money on the GPU/SSD.

2 TB storage (in raid) is fun, but necessary? Personally I just delete old files when I fill up my 750 GB, again save the money and get an SSD.

I'm not sure if you have a PSU already, but you could save some money there by getting a PSU in the 450-550W range as that should suffice as long as you do not plan on getting a SLI / CF setup later.
  5. Money

I'll echo what most others have said. The CPU you want for games is the i5-3570k. Great speed, lots of headroom to overclock if thats your thing. Saved you enough for an SSD right there! And you will be glad you did, as running Win7/8 64bit off even just a small SSD will really speed things up for you. 2TB is a LOT of storage room. Unless you are encoding video or doing something drastic, I would say you would be fine with half of that. Video card, get whatever your comfortable spending for this game at least as it's not too picky about what card you run. I did the same thing and got 16GB ram, but thus far has been a waste. 8GB is plenty for this game until they develop a 64bit client for this game.
  6. Irathi

Even a 64 bit client would not make use of more than those 8 Gb. I hardly ever see my system at more than around 4 Gb. It can in theory use a lot more, but the game will not for many years to come.

I love it when people say "but ram is so cheap anyway so you might as well get it" - well first of all if you save money today by not getting 16gb and wait it will be cheaper, larger and faster in the future.

Also define "cheap" if you pay for something, but what you pay for gives you 0 performance increase or utility, then isn't that in fact the most expensive "upgrade" you can get?

My point is; do not buy 16gb it is a waste of money and will be the most expensive non performance impact thing you can get.

And if people thought about it, then they should realise that memory is so cheap because the demand is so low because nobody needs more.
  7. Zakuak

Yeah 16 GB of ram for your run of the mill PC use is over the top, go for 8 GB. I have 16 GB on all my rigs but I can at any given time have 2 or more CAD programs open and in office chat windows, Business Email browser (with waaay to many tabs open lol), An array of Adobe applications...the list goes on..so in some cases 16 GB is a good thing.

If you go with a 660 get the TI or as was also mentioned the 7950 is a good card as well.

I've never had an I5 CPU but I've heard nothing but good things about them for gaming. I run the I7 6 core here at work and the AMD 1100 T X6 at home...other then that both systems are about the same...well the Cards on this rig are SLI 560 TI as opposed to the SLI 680's at home... So yeah I don't see anything wrong with saving some cash and running an I5.
  8. Money

UMADBRO? j/k

Actually a 64bit client has been discussed and it would utilize that extra headroom. The difference between $60 ram versus $30 ram isn't quite the back breaker that you make it out to be. If you want to jump up and down about something, advise him about the difference between running his OS from a SSD versus standard hard drives or the clock differences between the gtx cards vs the ti cards.
  9. Irathi

Yeah sorry I see that post might have looked like an attack on you, it wasn't meant to be :)

It was meant to all those people out there telling others to get 16gb simply because it is cheap. Meanwhile they want to skimp on the GPU :p
  10. BenYeeHua

And did it decrease the stability of overclocking the RAM?
  11. Irathi

I understand the question, but not why you asked me?
  12. BenYeeHua

Because you are playing overclock.:)
  13. TeknoBug

Sounds good, or you can settle for an i5 3570K and get an HD7870 or 7950, the 13.1 driver for ATI cards is very nice.

MAKE SURE you get a Z77 based motherboard, there's no point in using a 3570K or 3770K (K series Intels) with a non Z77 motherboard.
  14. Money

meh, i went with the P67 as it was cheaper and the only difference is you can't use the CPU graphics solution. Not sure why any gamer would ever be interested in using that inbred intel graphics option. So the Z77 isn't the be all end all.
  15. TeknoBug

Oh yeah forgot about the P67, couldnt' remember if P67 was compatible with Ivy Bridge.
  16. BenYeeHua

Because when the graphic card is RMA, they can use the computer.:)
  17. Money

and that scenario is worth $50 of z77 insurance? what if the PSU blows up? what if the CPU fan dies? It goes on and on. Part of PC gaming is building and maintaining these rigs.
  18. The King

I use 16 GB ram and I am glad. I do not have to close out background stuff like Chrome while running the game.
    Chrome alone takes 4-5GB RAM because I like to keep my tabs opened.
    Game takes plenty, and if I wanted to run other stuff I can. You can say with those two, it's near 8GB, but you will notice.
    16GB ram is cheap, cheaper than cheap..
    I would do 12 GB ram before 8, but then again, not everyone runs their computers like everyone else.

As with a SSD, you do not need it.. really.
    Especially if you're going to be running Windows 8. I don't know if Windows 8 has much to do with it but I have a fresh install and this game loads fast. From pressing play(at launcher) to shooting is 18-20 seconds.
    Though, you do load things faster...Is it really worth it? It does not help game performance.

i5s are good, but I chosen the i7 as gaming isn't the only thing I do. If all you do is just game, the i5 is just fine.. If you're going to be overclocking, you want at least 1600MHz ram. If you're not, 1333MHz is fine. ( you do not see any performance gains )

It all depends on what you want to do. Though, the i5 will be fine for everything else too.

I would suggest getting a sound card, and I would read reviews about it. Do not listen to many people here, they will tell you that the onboard sound is as good as the dedicated ones. Of course, they have no experience and no idea what they're talking about.
    You do not need to spend $100 on it either. Though, do not get tricked on buying what you think is good, but is not. Do some research. You can get a sound card last..
  19. Nacasatu

About the RAM, just something to bare in mind, some motherboards will not give you the full dual speed benefits if using over 8gb RAM. Read the tech specs etc., of the motherboard before you buy it just to check if you do decide to go with the 16gb.
    Unless you're going to be doing photoshopping or dual booting and messing about with server installs/VMware etc., 16gb is still too much, even if the RAM is cheap, you just won't use it. Although, one benefit is that you can turn off the pagefile completely, though you can still do that with 8gb ram (I do it) just the 16gb gives you more wiggle room I guess. Again, just make sure your motherboard doesn't forego speed if you go above 8gb RAM (or for that matter use more than two sticks, like 4 x 2gb to make 8gb might end up ruining your dual speed benefits). Make sure also that whatever RAM you buy will fit the motherboard when the CPU heatsink is installed.

Gigabyte Motherboards are excellent btw, would highly recommend. I know people will go up in arms when the whole Nvidia v AMD debate is mentioned but it has to be said, Nvidia gfx cards just have better driver support and are generally just better cards.
    EVGA are a really good Nvidia card maker.

CPU wise, go with Intel, stay away from AMD - I'd love to not have to say that but truth be told that's the way it is if you're a gamer.
  20. TeknoBug

It does? I'm on a system with 4GB ram and I leave Chrome open while playing PS2, Chrome only takes up less than 100MB if you're on this particular site, but yeah if you have multiple tabs open especially with websites that uses flash then it'll definitely eat up memory but 4-5GB ram? Christ.

I just checked with 5 tabs open, ~300MB.