[BUG] Bio Lab "area effect crash"

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TokyoShoe, Dec 25, 2012.

1. TokyoShoe

I have seen a sharp rise in a very specific bug relating to the Bio Labs lately, and it has taken me the better part of a week to figure out the pattern behind it.

Anytime I have been in a Bio Lab, near the teleporter rooms (the small shielded off chambers that let you warp into the Bio Lab from its external satellites), there is what seems like a small / random chance of my client suddenly crashing out to desktop. I thought nothing of it until joining a larger outfit with a Teamspeak server. The next few times this happened and I was in the same area .. with outfit members near me, they would all crash out at the exact same time. Any outfit member standing with in 10-15 meters of one of these chambers during an active invasion would crash out at the exact same time as I would, sometimes with a minor difference of a second or two determining who 'crashes first'.

It took an outfit member being just outside of this "Crash Area" to start revealing what was happening. The crash out always seems to follow a massive coordinated explosion (I'm thinking C4) with the teleporter chamber. This exploits some unique and specifically reproducable bug that crashes out all of the defenders within a specific area. Once this bug has been performed, the rest of the invaders pour through and start picking off disconnected players who's clients have crashed out.

The most recent time this happened, we had an outfit member just out of earshot that was on Teamspeak. He started relaying the details of the invaders pouring through the teleporter in mass numbers immediately after one of these critical "Area Effect Crashes". Just before the crash, we were witnessing barely any invaders in the teleporter room (maybe one or two).. so it seems rather fortunate for them that these crashes always happen like this.

Things I know 100% for sure:
    • These crashes always happen within 15 meters of a teleporter.
    • The crashes are always immediately preceded by an explosion.
    • They have happened the most frequently to me in Bio Labs.
    • They consistently disconnect / crash out more than 50% of the game clients within the area. (Sound card related? Sound settings? Graphics glitch?)
    Everything else must be regarded as speculation on my part. This is a bug that I would really like to see fixed.
    • Up x 1
  2. Torque221

I've had this happen to my squad out in the open assaulting a tech lab, with no buildings or teleporters around. Not sure about explosions.
  3. CaptRandom

Have had this problem the last several days as well, but not limited to Bio Labs. I have had it happen in Bio Labs as well but also in a Liberator several hundred feet in the air no where near a Bio Lab. Squad mates and I will all lock up at the same time. Also we aren't located in the same area of the country, or using the same computer systems.
  4. Bowmancer

Had this problem happen at the crown during a large three way battle. Asked around in yell after I reconnected and everyone from all three factions who was near the tower experienced the same crash.
  5. Kedric

666 Outfit (NC) was exploiting this on Connery tonight. Any outfit caught doing this should have the whole outfit be banned for it IMO.

SOE has to stomp this hacking / exploiting nonsense soon or they are gonna be losing a lot of money.
  6. Icenode

I believe that this is a direct result of their efforts to stop the "no render" bug when in area's of high population. I believe they have implemented some sort of metric that when population in a certain area gets too high they begin shifting SOME of the load to additional server instances or shards. I think this behavior is bugged and the players being moved sometimes crash out. This would explain why the crashes seem to be location specific, and why it also seems like the enemy exploits it almost immediately.

I believe that in fact it's the addition of all the extra players showing up that causes the problem, and not them showing up and taking advantage of it. This would also explain why it seems to happen alot around larger outfits like the Devil Dogs.

Pure speculation of course, but it makes more sense than most of the conspiracy theories I've been hearing lately about hackers and dev's causing it on purpose.

Either way, I can say this is one of the most annoying bugs in PS2 right now and would love to see it fixed. This single bug can render the effort of hundreds of people useless in 1 second in a mass crash causing everyone to restart from warpgate instead of hunkered down defending a base.
  7. Armored Gorilla

How were they exploiting it? Did they have a button they auto crashes the Bio Lab (Exploit) Or did most of them just not crash and keep on playing (Not Exploit) No one is immune to the crashes no matter the faction.
  8. JonboyX

I believe it is the same issue as this (lengthy) thread:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...every-10-20-minutes.49086/page-21#post-910605

I will add that today when this crashed for me; it did for about half of us on mumble. The other half didn't - so it might well be a proximity crash.

I've only ever obeserved these sorts of crashes with AUDIO BUGs - graphics cards have a habit of restarting themselves; and people are rarely all rendering the same objects I suspect.
  9. Hydragarium

Well they kind of did if you had read the thread at all - if a large number of explosions go off simultaneously (Hint : C4), you can crash people.
  10. Armored Gorilla

I read the thread, the guy I replied to said nothing of them using lots of explosions, and makes it seem like they are immune to it. Like a Conspiracy Theorist just trying to bash a group of people.
  11. Skillz

12. St0mpy

agreed, three crashes today, all biolab, all near a spawn room

infact one i heard several outfitmates in ts saying aww they froze/dc, but i was fine, walked towards the door where they were all frozen, boom then I froze too

I think its some kind of overflow....C4, pouches, ubls etc are very buggy atm and its probably just seeming to take a long time because of the devs being away for the extended xmas break