[Suggestion] Buff Python AP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Luicanus, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Blam320

The problem isn't AP is underpowered, it's HESH literally overshadows every other option unless you're running a dedicated anti-tank loadout on your MBT or Lightning. HESH needs it's damage vs vehicles toned down a little bit and might need it's blast radius shrunk just a smidge. Maybe buff HEAT, so there's a legitimate reason to use it, as in a generalist build.
  2. adamts01

The Viper is the Lightning's highest dps gun, with Heat coming in 2nd place. The Viper could do with less bloom and the HEAT could possibly use a little more splash. I do think that HESH could be toned down a little, maybe in velocity and splash, but I'd rather keep all main guns good at killing armor.
  3. Demigan

Give HEAT an almost 90 degree upwards angle. That way it can function as medium AA weapon and also engage those pesky LA's, CAS Valks that hang above you etc. In fact give the Viper the same thing, and don't restict it to HEAT Python either, give all HEAT canons in the game this ability.
    Ofcourse, HEAT canons would all need a reduced potential against ESF's as a OHK against them with such an elevation isn't fun or fair.
    • Up x 2
  4. Luicanus

As I recall ESFs cant be one shotted by HEAT, well not the Python or Prowler version, although they are typically damaged to the point where there's a high chance of them crashing trying to land for repairs.
  5. adamts01

You had me till the ESF OHK. Maybe this could be a thing if flak ever gets nerfed and we get real missile mechanics, but air/ground right now is completely broken and ESF are already pushed out of any meaningful fights as is.
    • Up x 1
  6. Demigan

Lets say a python HEAT deals 70% damage on a hit and applies a light concussion effect against ESF so there's more time to engage and finish the ESF before it escapes.
  7. adamts01

That's awesome. Maybe similar to on-fire ESF handling. The same could apply to all aircraft. That would be a very cool addition. I think you're on to something with your proposals on disabling rocket launcher ammo too.
    • Up x 1
  8. adamts01

Not enough coffee. Can't quote properly.
  9. LaughingDead

As per OP:
    "AP rounds are not effective against infantry with flak armor, I find this particularly unfair as I am using a tank cannon and landed a direct hit on the ******"

As per dev:
    "lol get ******. We wanted a way for infantry to confidently combat tanks from 350 meters away with lockons and the off chance you hit them directly with an anti-infantry shell they shrug it off and tell you to go **** yourself for not bringing a sniper rifle vehicle ****ter."

As per me:
    "Oh god dammit. I didn't die in my sleep."

As per me after coffee:
    "This change was absolutely stupid. They did not compensate AP being weaker they basicallly left it in the dark. 25 meters faster is basically throwing a baseball except you actually curl your hand this time instead of throw it underhanded at them. I want to ******* bean whoever thought it was ok for infantry to survive a direct hit from a hulking mass of metal that takes resources to build with bullets the projectile speed of a dented toaster thrown from a distressed inlaw."

As per me after rant over:
    "**** this, too much convoluted ******** conjured by people who want a free MMO cod fest so they can farm newbies to make them feel better instead of biting the bullet and dying to a tank 1 out of 20 deaths on average (TRUE STATISTIC<------) I'm going to subway."
    • Up x 2
  10. LaughingDead

I miss the days when there weren't censors everywhere. I hope the message comes across clear.
    • Up x 2
  11. Luicanus

Hue hue hue, I'm not 100% sure that's the default dev reaction, I consider it more likely to have been an oversight on their part given the eerie similarities to when nanoweave protected from headshots presenting snipers with this exact same issue. Although I concede that there has been a change of direction since then so this atrocity may actually have been intentional.

As for your rant, 100% agree, while I don't have the stats to hand (I'm not sure if they can be found somewhere) I'd hypothesise that AP is likely now dramatically less used than HESH relative to the Pre-CAI I tend to take HEAT over my AP when I pull now but only because I never bought HESH.

As for your post rant, yeah I think people overestimate the value of tanks because they'll occasionally end up in a situation where one tank messes them up 5 lives in a row. But they neglect the fact that relative to any other weapons system it's not a significant proportion of their deaths. There's a similar effect with OS, occasionally there's a golden moment where it's brutally effective but mostly they're ignoring its flaws.
  12. Luicanus

Is there not an option somewhere to turn off the language filter? I mean I doubt many people on this forum are kids and even those that are have probably heard the F word before.
  13. TR5L4Y3R

medic and infil can´t do jack against armor .. how is it fair for them being oneshotted no matter what but don´t get to propper threaten heavily armored vehicles .. don´t even get me started with explosive bolts and medic c4 ..
    and no medics supposed to just rev heavies doesn´t cut it .. it´s called combatmedic for a reason as in it takes acttual part in combat shooting at things .. so let it shoot and do fair damage against tanks too ..

censored or uncensored your point is bull....
  14. Luicanus

Don't get you started because they disprove your point? Medics C4 particularly, Infils less so, with explosive bolts and Stalkers knifing drivers who get out to repair are much less able to harass armour but that's because that's not their purpose.

You're right, neither of these classes is expressly designed to take out armour but neither of them is totally impotent.

Let's turn that about shall we, Medics, LAs, and Heavies can't do Jack at 250m+ range so it's unfair that infiltrators can OHK them with sniper rifles. So we should reintroduce the nanoweave covering the head to let infantry survive, right?

Or how about when you're at a terminal and someone slips a power knife into your back? Each tool has it's use, if your facing armour, pick a different class. The only reason I'd take medic against tanks is if there was already several Heavies, Engies or LAs around and I could res them if they died.

No one in their right mind would take an infiltrator against armour, but yo have the cloak so you can hide and evade it, you don't NEED to fight it.
    • Up x 2
  15. LaughingDead

Ok so everything should be a threat to heavily armored vehicles no matter what the class. At that point, no one, absolutely no one would run sunderers or even attack since defending would be far easier considering the defenders can often congregate their pop more and remove vehicles with ease if we had it your way.

1. Combat medics are still medics. If you are exposing yourself in a bad position out in the open I do not care what shoots you, you deserve to be shot. I run infils specifically getting on hills and mountains to snipe medics that do their stupid revive dance in the middle of a ******* field. I don't need a tank to kill dumbasses.
    2. Infils (now this may shock you so sit down) Can cloak and thus avoid any or most vehicle confrontations in which they play it smart and not sit in an open field like a dufus and remaining uncloaked. How is it exactly fair knowing I could get one shot from a sniper rifle 300 meters away if I get out to repair? Answer: I know I can, that's simply how it ******* is, that's how it should be, nothing is invulnerable, everything SHOULD have a counter however the favor in this game has largely been skewed towards infantry more so than any previous patch in planetside before.
    3. It's called combat medic because medics don't often carry around an AR that they use to shoot anyone that walks around a corner. Traditional medics heal and only heal. You think combat means you can easily take out a 10ton goliath of metal and steel capable of destroying buildings with ease? Do you not have a dictionary? I'm just wondering what version of websters specifically highlights combat pertaining as an adjective as being able to single handedly take out large heavily armored vehicles designed to resist metal piercing rockets.

4. As a personal note: Wraith fury flash+decimator is actually one of the most obnoxious things a tank driver can fight. If you really wanna discredit infils then you ought to discredit that too.
    • Up x 2
  16. Corezer

I was thinking this for Python AP, but maybe not all the way to 90, just clearly better than what it is now (40?)

if the MBT's could do it too, their higher damage cannons and better all around use would further invalidate the lightning, but with this at least there's a niche for them and it allows AP to be situationally useful.
  17. Xebov

You must be joking here. AA is so close to useless that you can barely get ESFs to go away, destroying them, as it should be is simply not possible in most cases.

All Tank main guns (except for Viper) and the Halbert should result in a one hit kill against ESFs even if they have max composite. The simple reason: If you hover long enought and deep enought to be hit by a shell you deserve to die. Its simple as that.
    • Up x 1
  18. adamts01

Ahhhh, a ground-only player is here! Welcome!
  19. Pacster3

He is right tho. As a ground player AA is useless. You really need a stupid pilot to get a kill there. In most cases you shoot them smoking and then they leave the place and you are stuck with your AA-whatever. And even if you manage to destroy one they usually jump out to deny the kill(maybe players should not be allowed to jump out of aircrafts when they are burning unless they got ejection system).
    • Up x 1
  20. FateJH

Having words substituted with Higby didn't make the message any less crude.
    That language filter is built in. Consider it a challenge to learn how to express yourself more eloquently.
    • Up x 1