Buff mines

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Mar 20, 2013.

1. makrome

this
    isn't
    real
    life.
    in this game someone just comes around with a glue pistol and fixes it, leaving the minelayer with nothing but a loss in resources while his opponent gathers xp for repairing.
    Immobilising the tank i hear you say ... did you think it through ? What would prevent the driver from just exiting his vehicle and maybe just get a new one next terminal ? or walk on foot for a bit in case his timer is still ticking with leaving that immobile tank parking there until it vanishes ?
  2. drNovikov

Nope. In modern combat tanks die pretty quickly, espacially if infantry has weapons like Javelin or Kornet. Even old RPG-7s are still effective.

Well, a tankmined tank column does not have to be finished off. They leave the battlefield for hours and days (or don't get to the battlefield) even if not killed. So commandos plant charges and **** of the area, enemy tanks rushing to the battlefield get blown up, guys at the battlefield win because enemies have to awit for days before they can get those tanks back in action.

Look what a tankmine does (WWII, soviet AT mines):

[IMG]

That's what NC AT mines should do to TR tanks :D

Another photo (7 kg of TNT, like in a soviet TM-62M atnitank mine):

[IMG]

This tank cannot be repaired, only stripped down to parts for other tanks. It's crew (test animals) died.

Also, IRL one AT mine costs aproximately 50-100 dollars, and one tank costs millions of dollars. So, in PS2 AT mine cost hundreds thousands dollars!
  3. P4NJ

You'd be at a loss of resources if you:
    -put it on a road hoping to get a kill, in which case the guy just respawns and buys another tank
    -put it on a vehicle spawn pad, which is just stupid

And you're right, this isn't real life.However...
    -if you're defending, this will give you a massive tactical advantage; you just stopped the enemy tanks in their tracks with your well placed AT mines, they are now sitting ducks
    -the damaged tanks up front now block the rest of the enemy force

I know how you feel though, I too like getting a random kill to mines I placed an hour ago... but really, it just makes me sad that some guy was in his vehicle only to be instakilled.

So, a teamwork!

Also, about those tanks, I'm fully aware of the effects of tank mines on WWII era tanks... is the second one a British early cold war one? Those tanks were far less advanced than tanks today and tanks in Planetside; usually their alloys weren't very good and they'd shatter on the inside of the tank, killing the crew. Not to mention the flimsy equipment. The tank crew of a modern tank would would take a good beating, but they'd live to be healed by nanites. =P

Also, tanks in modern combat don't die too fast, since they have a lot of technology behind them; reactive armor, active protection systems and such. Plus they work together with the rest of the army, unlike tanks in planetside =P And even in WWII some tanks would last until the end of the war, it depended a lot on luck and commander's competence at that time though.
    Unless, of course, you're talking about the low quality stuff used during the Gulf war and such wars, when they were mostly outdated.
  4. Badgered

It should take one mine to take out a Flash or a Lightning, two for a MBT, and three for a Sunderer. Values assume full health vehicles without mine guard. Engineers should be able to carry up to ten mines at maximum rank of anti-vehicle mines and they should cost a lot less resources than they currently do.

This is assuming that mines are no longer able to be detonated by being dealt damage; only by being triggered by moving vehicles.

Anti-infantry mines should have a deployment animation so that they can't be used as dealt frisbees by infiltrators and just be set as traps rather than improvised C4.
  5. Ash87

Well everyone is bringing up the idea of tank mines that disable the tanks again as an option, or the norm.

Earlier, the whole notion of tank mines used for disabling was fleshed out as follows

Blast mines: Does less damage but has a massive blastwave that throws nearby vehicles (or people) back (ragdolls anyone?). Could flip a lightning and cause a tank to expose it's weak lower armor for a moment.

Inferno Mines: Explodes when a vehicle is over it, unleashing a massive amount of heat that will deal damage over time to vehicle occupants, killing them unless they get out

EMP mines: Shuts down a vehicle for a short time

Magnetic mines: Mines that will latch onto an enemy vehicle, and wont explode until a high enough concentration of mines is reached, so that it will cause the vehicle to explode. Alternatively, the mines would stay on the tank for an extended period and detonate after a fixed amount of time.

Tread mines: The idea of just disabling mobility would work too, making it so that the tank cannot move until it's repaired by an engineer or something.
    • Up x 1
  6. BH Brigade

The problem is, setting up as an HA with ammo packs or AV turrets will always be more effective than mines, unless in completely open situations (like north Indar) but then there aren't enough choke points for mines to be effective. There seems really no way to make AT mines effective without turning them into insta death kill all devices.
  7. Xind

Seems like this is focused on AT mines, which I'm still waiting to decide if the current 'fix' was sufficient to cut down on jihadists, or at least give people actively defending a chance to stop them.

As far as AP MInes.
    Well, first they'd need to be even with each other before we buff them.
    Secondly, any buffs they receive REQUIRE them to disappear when the player switches from Engineer or Infiltrator.
    It's bad enough that someone can chuck out mines and switch into a MAX suit...I really don't want more powerful mines pre-deployed by Heavies.
  8. Satanam

Cheaper tank mines? Ok, I can deal with it whenever they make us C4 users able to blow up our C4 bricks after death.
  9. Shockwave44

It wasn't nerfed, it was put where it needed to be.

Besides, who said this was a negotiation? Just because you lose one ability, doesn't mean you get another.
  10. Ash87

Not a single person. No one said we were unable to express our opinions either. That's why you can post what you did.

Question: Did you actually Read anything that was written here by the various contributors, or did you just read the title and leap into action to defend... well whatever it is that made your monocle pop at the idea of people talking about buffing tank mines in some way.

Most of the suggestions are that tank mines be reduced in damage but receive a bump in the numbers you can carry. Also there are specialty mines that will disable and or evacuate vehicles rather than destroying them. There is a whole portion of this surrounding detection of mines, how mines should be laid, how they can be destroyed. This entire conversation was comprehensive with well thought out points by about 90% of the people who wrote.

And dress it up however you want, mines had an ability, and they no longer have that ability. That is a nerf. You can justify it however you wish, but that doesn't make you any less wrong. Nerfs offend people, they turn people away from this game. I personally think it's naive to say that nerfing after purchase is fraud, but that whole mess came out of this phenomena. It lessens the blow if things are nerfed with other concessions being made for the people who deal with the item regularly. You saw that with shotguns in the last patch.

Now if you have something to actually add, that will further this, by all means do. If not, please go find another thread to troll.
  11. Shockwave44

If I was the first person to reply, I would have said exactly the same thing.

Disagreeing =/= Trolling

Mines don't blow up anymore? I use the NS brand, the ACME ones were discontinued. Besides, NS has a 1 year warranty but will be voided if used as C4.
  12. Ash87

You aren't trolling because you are disagreeing. You are trolling because your statement that boils down to: Was anyone 'asking' for opinions. Which is dismissive of everything written here for no reason.

Buuut again, if you have anything to contribute towards ideas for making mines better, or giving them some variety, feel free to contribute, otherwise there is no future in this. Though thank you for the free thread bumps.
  13. Shockwave44

And you can't just accept that mines are fine the way they are now. This is how they should have always been even though they still need to add a short activation timer after they are placed down.

Mines are fine now. This thread is just about people agreeing with you and if they don't, you swoop in right on cue.

SOE will be garnishing your certs for the next month.

This was posted in your thread and you're still going on about mines. That's what you get for having me read all the posts.
  14. Devrailis

Pretty much. It would be nice if mines had more utility, as opposed to just straight up rofflemaololpwn damage. It would open up so much more interesting design space and tactics.

You wouldn't have to kill that Prowler zerg, just get it all gummed up so the Heavies can pick them off at their leisure.

Sadly, I can't like your post twice. ;)
  15. Ash87

Point 1: There is nothing that would Hurt by having more mines, or different kinds of mines, or what have you. Again, this is an opinion thread, it's here to offer ideas, that is it. The only thing I asked, is that people steer away from the balance mess, which is what you have continually drawn back to. If you think that the mines are fine as is, that is great. But again, not what the post is about.

Point 2: No, there are a number of people who have had dissenting opinions that they explained in full, that have received likes out of me in this thread. I missed the example you added below, but thank you for drawing attention to it, added that one. Just because I don't think -you- are doing anything bar trolling, doesn't' mean I'm censoring people. Just means I think you are a troll. All I've done is try to keep things on topic, and somewhat constructive.

Point 3: Yay, garnish!

Point 4: This is just an un-addressed point that I admittedly missed. I'll add it to the list of suggestions that I'm compiling every few posts. Nothing necessarily wrong with the idea of static minefields. I'm assuming your throwing in with this opinion since you drew attention to it. Thank you for helping to keep things on track!
  16. Ripshaft

Because roses are red, I deserve a rocket launcher.

You haven't made any connection between having mines not arm when thrown on stationary targets and a requirement for change....

"we fixed sniper rifles being able to take down tanks" - "WTF then give us rapid fire nodrop rockets"
  17. SgtBreastroker

I don't mind the nerf. Just as long as they make it so explosives that go off near a mine must make the mine detonate itself.
  18. Ash87

That post was made before the mine "Nerf" and was in response to the massive reddit push to make mines not detonate unless the target was moving over them. It is not "Mines are useless, give us Moar!" it's "What are some ways we could balance out mines changing, and what would people like to see in mines of the future"
  19. Ash87

That is the case, last I heard.