[Suggestion] Bring back the old knife mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Blackout (N-C), Dec 9, 2012.

1. Rane

From behind it should be instant kill. I prefer for all classes, but atleast on infiltrator.

Why?? Your crouched and I am behind you, I should be able to stab through the back of your neck= win. All war games, even military, even paintball, if you sneak up on a target they die instantly. Of course you can't make bullets in this game instant kill from behind. But make the knife do it.!
    • Up x 1
  2. Cl1mh4224rd

Hmm... Yeah, I'll have to check that. I haven't messed with the keybindings, so if that's the default, then that's a big derp on my part.
  3. alecholman

I don't even bother knifing because it will most often result in them moving in such a way that I give myself away and have to shoot them, or they turn and kill before I can get all 3 hits in to kill. Much better to give a gentle bullet to the head.
  4. Blackout (N-C)

Exactly, This would bring back the use for knives.
  5. dooder

Yeah, make this original game more CoD. Add melee as OHT, then add commando pro then forget about the tactics and make it arcade.

Seriously, its just a plain no. Melee should be to take some one out from behind when they are weak, not something where you get out of a drop pod and run at the back of a team and insta killing them.
  6. Blackout (N-C)

So you are saying Planet-side 1 is CoD?

Wow, You didn't read any of this did you?
  7. ComradeHX

Best way: shoot 4-5 bullets then knife.
  8. Blackout (N-C)

Nor have you read any of this thread.
  9. dooder

I did, the only thing i see is a OHK on the same way as CoD. The only way how this could work is that the knife needs a weapon switch.
  10. ComradeHX

Original Post: want - loud instant-kill.

Shoot 4-5 bullets(takes very little time) + knife = almost instant kill and loud enough.
  11. Blackout (N-C)

Thats the idea, And it is rather obvious you have NEVER played PS1
  12. Blackout (N-C)

No, Its so it works like PS1, Also obvious you haven't played PS1.
  13. ComradeHX

The way it worked in PS1 involved switching to knife first which makes knife usage all-or-nothing.
    Have fun switching back to rifle while someone spray all over your face.

Obviously you have not played PS1.
  14. Blackout (N-C)

No, I have and that is the balancing factor, If you are going for an instant-kill or a finisher, You cant just instantly switch back to your rifle if things go ti*s up.

Obviously you have not taken everything into account.
  15. Vargs

I just wish knifing actually worked. Today I walked up behind some stationary, oblivious dude and stood there knifing him in the back 3 times, dead on, without moving my cursor or having him reposition himself. 2 out of the 3 swings didn't do anything, even though he played his "I've been hit and will now move my shoulder a little bit!" animation for every single one. I sneak up on guys fairly regularly but I just end up shooting them since half the time I pull out the knife it just does not register.

Also worth mentioning that watching someone else's knife animation looks super bad.
  16. Helwyr

I support removing quick knives and having one shot kills from behind. However, factually you're a little off on how it worked in PS1 as even with secondary mode and melee booster knives were 2 hit kills on a full health/armor player. Before anyone jumps on this as a reason to not have one hit kills in PS2 should also not the TTK in PS1 was significantly longer than PS2 and taking that into account knives should one hit kill if like everything else their ttk is reduced.

Also agree with other posters it would be nice if the current knife was remotely reliable, about a 3rd of my hits don't even register.
  17. Blackout (N-C)

Yea, The knives are a sort of Russian roulette except 5 of the chambers have bullets in.

And I know it was 2 hits, But then that would void the use in PS2.
  18. ComradeHX

You have sniper rifle.

Shoot point blank and then knife. Even easier and only need to press two buttons.

Obviously you are just trying to get another weapon slot when there is already problem with grenade launcher.

Some random cosmetic upgrade is not going to make game any better when there are much bigger problems.
  19. Xioden

I love all the "PS1 this", "PS1 That", "You obviously never played", "blah blah blah" nonsense.

Regardless of who did or didn't play, no one apparently remembers how knives actually worked. Knives were never one-shot kills, even with the melee booster implant and the power attack (noisy mode) it was still 2 hits to kill a full health target.
  20. Acutus

this, and no damage to max units, being one already sucks :p