[BUG] Brief Screen Freeze on Deaths & Kills

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AlcyoneSerene, Jul 10, 2018.

1. AlcyoneSerene

Emerald. The screen freezes anywhere from a few milliseconds to a good 7 seconds after dying, and on kills sometimes there's some millisecond of screen freeze. My friends don't experience this. It has been happening about 2 major patches ago, or about a month or more now, very consistently.

This is frustrating, immersion-breaking, and game-breaking, because in the process of the kill or getting killed, everything is frozen. Zero extra game options in that time frame are registered, which in so many cases could have secured something significant (escape, kill, trigger).

This is a very fast paced game. Having your whole screen frozen for those few milliseconds is significant since a lot depends on your actions and ability to track very fast movements.

I'm using Ultra graphics, on a gtx1080 i5 6600k asus board 16gb high quality ram on a samsung high performance SSD, with stable private internet line that shows consistently good ping (2 weeks ago ping was poor or off the scale spiking, but not due to my internet). I have lowered some graphics settings since the patches have also degraded FPS quite dramatically, making my eyes hurt from the inconsistent frame rate.

Has anyone experienced this, and found a way around it?
    • Up x 1
  2. FLHuk

They know, they've posted they're working on it, it's not server specific, yes it's a Royal pain in the ***..... :/
    • Up x 1
  3. AlcyoneSerene

This bug is back after some play time. Having your screen locked before you can finish a fight because 'impending death!' is really game breaking.
    • Up x 4
  4. AlcyoneSerene

Can anyone answer this for me, if I delete PS2, and do a full reinstall, will all my graphic settings and controls and everything be saved?

I'm desperate at this point to fix this bug that clearly doesn't affect everyone (two of my friends don't have this happen). I'm playing at 1080p on 60hz ultra with some graphic settings turned lower, game is pretty smooth except for this bug, which definitely happens on both prior to getting killed and killing.
  5. tommyrocket

I've been getting this bug as well. It's insanely annoying, as it actually ensures you die in most scenarios. (being shot causes small hitches & micro-stutters, and when you die on the enemy's screen is when you hitch longer, even if not dead yet for yourself, aka impending death)

I had one day where 1 entire play-session didn't have the issue, but I don't know why. The very next game restart with no changes once again had the issue. I've been trying everything I possibly can, (save for reinstalling) and basically nothing has worked. Looked at numerous threads on Reddit and no one has solutions, either. The "UseFences=1" or "UseFences=0" in [Rendering] old bandaid fix didn't work.

A buddy of mine has Windows 10 without the issue, but that's because disabling "Fullscreen Optimization" in the game EXE properties seems to fix it. (Disabled on Launchpad exe, Planetside2_64 exe, and Planetside2_64_BE exe just to be safe)

Sadly, that fix doesn't work for Windows 7 users like myself. The gist of this issue was that it occurs when the game's API fires. XP gain, kill feed between server and yourself, etc. So ammo packs, repairs, kills, deaths, etc., they all cause the game to hitch. It's less noticeable when you first start the game, but it is there, and only gets worse the longer the game is on. After 2 ~ 4 hours, it gets unplayable.

Pretty much on my last legs on this issue, just like you.

Your settings likely won't be saved, as as far as I know, they're not saved in My Documents or Local\LocalLow\Roaming folders. You can, however, save your graphics options by backing up the "UserOptions.ini" file from just inside the root of the game folder.

For your keybindings, make a backup of the "InputProfile_User.xml" file in the root game folder.

I'd recommend trying to run the game for a while on fresh settings before replacing the defaults with your backups after a reinstall. This is one way to find out whether we're actually going to need a fresh game install or not.

Beyond that, it'd probably be worth trying fresh graphics driver installs as well, using "Display Driver Uninstaller", which can be found at GURU3D if you don't have it already. What operating system do you have? Other 'n that, let me know if you make any progress on this.
  6. AlcyoneSerene

I am on Win10 and tried the method of disabling "Fullscreen Optimization", and it's hard to tell if it helps, but after some hours of game time, there's definitely the brief screen freeze.

This problem affects my other friend too who also uses Win10 and the tweak somehow made the game worse.

Next attempt will be to uninstall.
  7. tommyrocket

Yeah, at this point, reinstalling seems to be the fix. Just the other day I went ahead and did that, but on a normal hard drive this time instead of my SSD. Problem hasn't recurred since. It's also one of the few consistent factors between my buddy's Win10 system and mine, as his is also installed on HDD and had no issues. I didn't consider it to be the cause at first but it may be possible. Also possible there are people using it on SSD with no issues too, so it's a bit confusing to troubleshoot.

The funny thing is, loading times have been the same as they were on SSD while on HDD now. My SSD is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB, boosting it using the Samsung Magician software's "Rapid Mode".

Anyway, I don't know if reinstalling will fix it for you or not, but it's certainly worth a try. I specifically downloaded it from the main site instead of steam as well. Didn't copy back my config backups, but instead tweaked back in some of what I had before a little at a time. So far it's just fine, so hopefully yours will be as well.
  8. AlcyoneSerene

Uninstall using Steam, and then reinstall did not solve the problem.

Full screen optimization also seems to have no effect.
  9. OneShadowWarrior

I would get this alot when I had motion blur enabled in graphic settings also with audio if you have the voice chat enabled in game with other players this will create lag issues in fights. I shut them off and no longer have these issues.
  10. tommyrocket

Sad to hear those didn't work... mileage may vary, though.

I have had it recur now, despite me saying it hadn't before. That was after about 2 play sessions of several hours each after the reinstall. The next computer boot and session had the hitching, worsening with time. Most notably between the separate instances was the fact that I didn't change graphical settings for the first two upon reinstall. The third had most of my original settings restored, along with the usage of recursion stat tracker. I don't know nor think either of those have a direct effect on the hitching issue but I won't deny the possibility.

The next thing I'll likely look into is whether or not it is the internet connection that has something to do with it. I understand it was a game client update that more or less caused the issue... but I can't shake the feeling that maybe there's another problem in the pipeline on my end, and possibly any other person's who has run into the same problems. Another game, Warframe, has a frequent chat error thanks to my router. Has to do with a UDP connection block, so port forwarding the UDP ports the game wants usually fixes 90% of it. While an unrelated issue, it's still an issue caused by my router, so I'll assume that the router isn't perfect and could be causing trouble in other games as well.

In Planetside 2's case, I may try port forwarding whatever it uses and see if that does anything and report back. Talk about going for broke here, but I'm running out of ideas.