[Brainstorm] Making MAX Emergency Repair good

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Valenz, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Valenz

Since we're done finding Emergency Repair to be the complete garbage it actually is. I was wondering if there is such a thing as actually making Emergency Repair decent.

What are your thoughts?
  2. FLHuk

Have it so when you activate it you end up somewhere else pretty fast.....
    • Up x 5
  3. Ziggurat8

MAXs are not allowed to avoid death any longer. It's as garbage as it is so if you find yourself in a situation where you will die, you're still dead. It might save you from dieing to pistol damage, but I doubt it.

It's not for an emergency; it's for when you're safe and just need a top off but can't find an engineer.
    • Up x 1
  4. Demigan

Make it repair a lot faster and lower the cooldown. Then it's handy for MAX's that don't have Engi backup but don't want to give up their flak/kinetic armor.

We could also just introduce new abilities:
    • Targeting computer: temporarily reduces your COF so you can fire more accurately at long-range.
    • Reserve magazines: Instantly reloads your magazines for those hectic combat scenario's.
    • Shoulder-mounted weapon: Probably a rocketlauncher or something, could be something else.
    • Laser-pointer: Enemy target will receive increased damage for a short period of time. The laser can be maintained on-target to keep the target vulnerable but eventually runs out of juice so you have to recharge.
    • Up x 3
  5. Liewec123

make it heal for much more, when 3 of the 5 classes in the game can kill you in 2-3 clicks a 20% heal is absolutely useless.
    when a rocket takes off half of your health you're dead in 2 shots, a 20% heal does absolutely nothing.
    • Up x 1
  6. Ziggurat8

I want a Scorpion Spear from Mortal Kombat.

"Get over here!" Plus a MAX punch to the HA trying to run away around the corner after shooting a rocket into my face. But I'm too slow (no more charge) so he gets to play peek a boo while reloading then pops back out and kills me.

"Get over here!" To the LA trying to fly over head dropping C4 at your feet.

45s cool down 20m range, Rank 5 is 35s cooldown 30m range. Does enough damage to make MAX punch a kill shot.

Yeah, it would be awesome.
  7. Daigons

It's called "Stop being that solo Max, choose your fights wisely, and find an Engineer & Medic friends".
    • Up x 1
  8. stalkish

50 + 50 - 20 = 80
    So it enables you to survive 2 shots instead of die.
    So it does do something?
  9. Ziggurat8

Decimator still 2 shots. Best rocket for hunting MAX, no doubt.

It's 20% over 12s. Standard dumbfire does more than 50% anyway. I think it's closer to 57-58% with a 5s reload. So it really doesn't help you survive 2 dumbfires unless it's more than 10 seconds between hits. The air dumbfire does exactly 50%.
  10. pnkdth

Seems like a lot of work to make an overpriced cert piñata to work properly. Just spawn a HA/LA/CM/ENG instead of being a burden for your team.
  11. Ziggurat8

Everything else in the game is balanced around having the perfect support so it makes sense MAXs are too.../s
  12. Valenz

Are you implying Emergency Repair has actual uses in teamwork?
  13. MonnyMoony

Actually that would be an awesome addition to Maxes. A shoulder mounted hard point to supplement the hand mounted ones (kinda like War Machine's shoulder mounted Gatling gun or rocket launcher).

You could have a shoulder hard point that could accept a AV or AI weapon that you can switch to in emergencies (perhaps with a couple of second cool down so that it's not massively OP and cannot be spammed along side the main weapons). It would only have a relatively limited ammo pool - again to prevent spam.

It would certainly make AA maxes a lot more viable - giving them them a fighting chance against infantry or vehicles if caught in the open - it would also make AV maxes a little more flexible in mixed vehicle/infantry fights
  14. Mojo_man

A small silver lining to Emergency Repair being so terrible is that it does tend to create some faction distinctiveness by motivating everyone to pick their Empire Specific Max options. That's a good thing....just....you know.....achieved in pretty much the worse possible way.
  15. Valenz

Vanu: F*********k....

On topic: To summarize I'm understanding making it heal more in less time would make ER good, correct?
  16. zu2

I would prefer 30 percent repair in 6 seconds with a 30 second cooldown. That would make it more useful. I use it now so I can keep my standard max flak most of the time. I actually have my max k/d increasing because I don't take as many risks as I used to with charge, nor do I attempt the types of breaching activities I used to with charge, which of course got me killed but did help break the defense on an enemy control point.
  17. Sumguy420

Shoulder launcher should take the utility slot
  18. Juno

Random suggestion.

Emergency Repair
    Locks down the MAX and actives a self-repair cycle. The MAX cannot move or fire while in this state and is more susceptible to damage (Takes 20% more damage? Purpose is to prevent using it mid combat.) as it draws energy from the armor systems.
    The MAX repairs X% (based on rank) damage per second while in this state up to Y% (based on rank) health. Has a cooldown of Z (based on rank) seconds after activation.

Numbers suggestion, up to debate.
    X - 2%/4%/6%/8%/10%
    Y - 60%/70%/80%/90%/100%
    Z - 60/55/50/45/40 second cooldown
    Certs - 30/50/100/500/1000

Would play a sort of "powered down" animation and the MAX would pulse a dim version of the repair flashing every few seconds. The MAX could still look around, but would be unable to fire and their arms and body wouldn't move while looking they would be completely motionless during the process.

The ability would end when the maximum repair for the ability is reached (depends on the rank), or it could be ended early if the player tried to fire their weapon or clicked the ability again but this wouldn't reset the cooldown and the player would need to wait the full duration to use it again.
  19. Demigan

A bit too vulnerable I think.

How about this: When active you can fire while standing still, but if moving you can't fire. That gives you a bit more ability to use it without getting your butt whooped just because you are using it.
  20. Valenz

What you're doing is basically take only the negative aspects of ZOE and Lockdown and shoehorning them onto Emergency Repair.
    • Up x 1