Bolt action the weapon of a coward??

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LT_Latency, Jun 18, 2013.

1. lilleAllan

1400 kills with the longshot before I got bored of sniping. And yes, projectile veloocity, this is indeed a thing that you should learn to deal with. It's frankly laughable that me being able to somewhat hit moving targets is such a wild claim to you that you must push me for my stats. Bolt action has among the highest projectile velocities in the game, so I don't understand how this is so crazy to you.

I recently decided to auraxium the Bolt Driver to see what all the forum whine was about. Sat in the sniper lines for a sec and hardly anyone bothered to even shoot at moving targets. Killing enemy snipers are still as easy as ever though, since most snipers take ages to line up their shots and never repositions.
  2. exLupo

Link? I can make up stats, too.

re: Velocity/Latency - bolt snipers, on average, have -less- velocity than equivalent LMG and ARs. They're the third in speed for long range weapons, only beating out Scout/BR. Add into this the intent to use them at the longest ranges and this exacerbates the projectile speed disparity. Then include the simple act of randomly switching direction or stopping for a split second on a straight run and accurately predicting a model's place becomes nigh impossible. Once you get a feel for the refire rates of sniper rifles, you can effectively render yourself immune to followup shots, regardless of terrain.

Feel free to look up my stats in this game as well as 2142 and BFBC2. I'm not the best shot but, as someone who doesn't spawncamp and does fire on moving targets, I think I do alright. Across all three games, 30% of my shots kill as a headshot, the highest part of that average being in PS at 36%. As someone who's been sniping in open field shooters since PS1 (can't verify it but you can look up the other three games), I feel like I can speak on the subject.

I mean. I auraxium'd all three empire's sniper rifles before I got bored and flew my ESF to the moon.

edit: don't bother providing your stats, btw. Between the velocity thing and trying to say you can do things even aimbots can't (defeat extreme range latency when using slow projectiles vs random moving targets in a non-hitscan environment), your credibility is shot.
    • Up x 2
  3. lilleAllan

[IMG]
    Whatever works for you.

And lol at "boasting." Bringing attention to the fact that snipers have some of the highest projectile velocities in the game is not "boasting." It's making apparent the simple fact that Bolt Actions are among the easiest weapons to hit your target with.
  4. SShocK

Those saying snipers are useless and not helping their team are not thinking.
    What about sniping those HA's taking out your team's vehicles. Or sniping those engineers on their AV turrets.
    Or counter-sniping the snipers that cowardly piss people off. ;)
    I'd say snipers are essential for any base assault or defense.
    Sniping is fun.
    • Up x 4
  5. Draxo

Snipers are an essential part of the game and those who have sniper support will usually triumph over those who do not.

Just because some entitled players sob that they 'killed someone I could have melee range gunned down' before they engaged doesn't mean a thing other than some players feel entitled.
    • Up x 2
  6. NeverWas

well it's useful at times, saw a still heavy aiming at tanks on the pad ?

go for the head.

saw an AV engineer with their turrets ?

go for the head.

saw a medic / engineer healing / repairing ?

go for the head.

infiltrators are like ninjas, they contribute without themselves or anyone knowing it.
  7. exLupo

By "highest" you mean "the second lowest of all long range weapons", right? And they're only the easiest on stationary targets. Moving targets, which is your big "l2p" issue, are another story altogether. LMG/AR have more miss tolerance due to volume of fire, this is a simple fact of how the weapons work. Against an aware target (see: anyone you didn't OHK), the odds of landing a kill shot after the fact are substantially less due to a wide number of factors. Primarily being slower velocity (average sniper is under 600, AR/LMG range variants is over 600) but also low tolerance for error correction.

I rarely die to body shots. On my timeline there are two and one I recall was because I hunkered down behind a rock and got picked off from the side. I take a lot of hits from snipers but that's it, not deaths. Again, stats to verify. Thanks, btw, for posting yours. Our percentages are identical. 42% accuracy, 80% headshot kills. So now we all know you're talking out of your rear. :)

We get it, you don't like sniping. Making up facts and talking like the big shot that you aren't (time invested != skill, you and I are equals) doesn't do anybody any good.
    • Up x 1
  8. lilleAllan

I get it, you'd rather sit around and argue than getting better at the game. The 42 % accuracy is from consistently firing at moving targets - something that you apparently find to be an impossible task, so God knows why your accuracy isn't higher. Other than that all I see is a lot of whining. some false presumptions, an ad hominem and a laughable jab at me "making up facts." Well done, standard forumside whiner fare. Extra points for taking so long to formulate that weak excuse of a rebuttal.

I'll repeat how laughable it is to accuse me for "talking like a big shot," because I find it somewhat doable to hit a moving target, while you prefer to sit around and blame hit detection and whatnot.

And lastly to adress your poor reading comprehension - the weapon used is a Longshot, which has a 650 m/s projectile velocity. Yes, I know, it's not like I posted my stats for that specific weapon or anything.
  9. HadesR

Personally I feel there are two different kinds of Sniping.

Sniping as in sitting 300m off to the side, or landing on a tower roof away from any fight to pick off Engies repairing turrets I find boring and contributes little.

"Combat" sniping as in being up with and in your front lines , counter sniping to protect your own Engies, Medics while taking out the enemies is what I prefer.

Ofc when those lines get off their ***'s and actually push into a base then swap to HA or SMG Infi
  10. Kunavi

"Haters Gonna Hate"
    - A wise General using Snipers
  11. Draxo

I think taking down the enemies support units: engineers and medics can be a battle changer. If those AV and AA turrets go up and start firing at your armor every 1-2 minutes your attack can and probably will fail. That is very much contributing to your team. If your snipers are just firing wildly into the moving enemy then they're not contributing much.

For the record, I am a terrible sniper. I just really hate this 'x playstyle sucks and is useless' mentality, because every single role in this game has uses when played properly.
    • Up x 1
  12. ChewingGum2828

No on topic butt just wondering.... how do oyu put those picture on your posts?
  13. exLupo

You and I have nearly identical performance (error. If you put us in the same situations, we'll both land the same shots, down to the last percent. I'm calling ******** on your claims that followup shots are easy because I know, for a fact, at your exact level of performance, they are not.

edit: I doublechecked and my TSAR is 42% while my worse-than-longshot SR-7 is 47%. Statistically, I'm the better shot. However, it's close enough to call it a wash so I'm fine letting it pass.

I'm not whining. I'm not forumsiding. You rolled into this thread like some sniper god and declared everyone who couldn't land followup shots on moving targets to be bad players/whiners/etc (quotes can be provided). That rankled. I'm annoyed by your arrogance and felt that, for the good of the readers, your false statements needed to be clarified.

Regarding reading comprehension:

While that specific weapon is 650, the average speed is below 600. Up until just now, you've been just saying "snipers" (quotes can be provided) in the general sense. Had you been clear in the beginning, it wouldn't have been brought up.

And the ironic bit:

You see, champ, one of us is having reading problems but it's not me. 47% accuracy from consistantly firing at moving targets. Just because I can do it doesn't mean it is as easy as you say. :) As an advocate of the semi-auto snipers during beta, I put a lot of time into convincing players to get off their perches and support their team by firing on all targets, moving or non. If I only shot at immobile players my accuracy would be much higher. Still, 80% headshot kills ain't bad.
  14. G3arfried

that thing will pwn this game tbh. The ps2 battlefronts were more smooth and balanced then this game will ever be.
  15. G3arfried

burn in hell good sir
    • Up x 2
  16. FABIIK

??? o_O
    You can't snipe an engineer who repairs tanks/turrets ?
    You can't snipe a medic who revives his friends ?
    You can't snipe an engi manning an AV/AI turret ?
    You can't snipe a sniper who does any of the above ?

As for 'death has no meaning' it works for all classes. People killed by snipers are not the only ones who respawn.
  17. Vixxing

Skilled snipers can contribute a-hell-of-alot to the team by taking out HA with launchers and MANA-AV turret engineers to save friendly tanks *****...
  18. Vanus Aran

Oh so you mean you alone are as efficient as lets say just you and 9 other snipers?
    In any case you are talking nonsense: But ironically the whole mindset is not contributing to your allys as well.

You know how life unfolds. Get hooked up on it, or just go and do your thing.
    Its not like your complains will change how your fellow gamers will play, right?
  19. P4NJ

Real men rip off their hands, break their arm bones and use the jagged edges to cut their enemies.
  20. exLupo

Fair. I was just thinking about the analogy to snipers irl. Snipers irl are for one purpose, doing what is otherwise nigh-impossible. PS2 snipers are, 9/10 kills, just attrition. You can focus but that's just better target selection. Snipers, like everyone else, are an bullet throwers. I will heartily agree with the engi AV turrets. I have to keep telling people to use snipers whenever they moan about how overpowered the turrets are. Free sniper xp.

While they can be used to do what is necessary, a lot of times they're pulled for the joy of headshots. Nothing wrong with that but folks shouldn't make it out to be something important.