Biolabs, worse than prenerf crown.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Apples, Apr 13, 2014.

1. iller

Subterranean Nanite Analysis laughs at of your quaint little Biolabs. ...and then farts in their general direction

I also don't see anyone nothing their pre-nerf SCU's. IE: they're not like Techplant/AMP SCU's.
    They're the old ones that can still be rushed without holding the points for X-minutes
  2. Taemien

Being as I've been able to lead a squad to take a Biolab against 24-48 defenders.. I don't think Biolabs are bad.

What is bad is the zerglings rushing the points. See what many don't realize is when a point is under attack, the defending faction gets to spawn there from more locations than just the adjacent ones. So if you trigger this, more often than not, you get half the enemy faction spawning in there.

Instead of rushing the points, take out the SCU gen then the SCU. This doesn't trigger the "this base is under attack" spawn mechanic. Once the SCU is down, work on the points. The enemy cannot spawn at the biolab because the SCU is down, and have to spawn hop to one of the outlaying bases or gal drop to defend. Course once they do that.. THEY are the attackers against your dugin forces.

Its simple. Be the defenders when taking the biolab and its a cakewalk. If thats too much for a zerg then zergs should simply avoid biolabs. There's dozens of other bases they could go fight at. Let the organized outfits deal with biolabs.

Not all content in this game is meant to be solo'd or zerged.
  3. MongooseTwoFive

That's a solid strategy, but not always viable. Usually by the time you've taken one of the satellites there are already defenders in the biolab who most likely redeployed from the satellite which was just lost (unless it's a ghost cap, in which case it doesn't matter anyways) which makes rushing the SCU problematic.
  4. Sledgecrushr

I love good long drawn out fights. To me bio labs are some of the best bases in this game. Why cant we have places where the fights last longer than five minutes. I like getting into a sunderer as much as anyone but most of the little bases around auraxis are just speed bumps. Bio labs are where some great fighting happens and really if you dont like it go somewhere else. Because if Im not knee deep in blood and guts then Im not having enough fun.
  5. Astriania

I hate biolabs once they get over about 3 squads defending, because there's only 3 ways in (in most cases) and all 3 of them are camped by a squad of enemies with MAXes. Sure, if you have 2 squads to play with you can break a 1 squad teleport camp, but apart from the generator building and the banana building (which doesn't have a point inside) there's nowhere you can hope to hold a defensive position at inside, and there's no way to set up a spawn point inside, so you get wiped and have to start again.

You can't try an alternative strategy with air support or ground armour. Any other base in the game (apart from SNA) gives you the option of getting air superiority and galaxy dropping, or dropping on beacons.

Yes, SNA is pretty similar, once it gets to 48+ defending it doesn't matter if you throw a whole faction at it, they won't take it without 65% pop. SNA isn't a strategically important base (you can even go Xelas-Onatha a different way) though so there are continent-scale moves you can make to distract the enemy, or take advantage of their obsession with it to take something else.

I agree with the suggestion to link outposts on the lattice so you can win yourself other ways in, or reverting major facilities to pre-lattice setup (i.e. the outposts part of the same territory so they're independently cappable). Unlike overall hex, having the free choice over outposts did add strategy and give both sides meaningful decisions to make.
  6. HadesR

Biolabs could do with a rework, they are just not suited to the scale of combat that takes place there ..
  7. Taemien

Unless the defenders outnumber you, you can get a coordinated push. The reason why most Biolab assaults fail is because the attackers spread out in 4 ways, to the 3 points and to the gen. If they focus, they can get a foothold and then hold off the gen for a minute.

The defensive counter is a coordinated defense. Then its down to who's more skilled or who's more organized.

During Biolab alerts it is tougher because of the amount of people that flood in. But I never said it would be easy lol. Then you have to do a strategic feint or maneuver to pull them out. But that's well beyond the scope of the thread. Thats continent wide strategy.
  8. Ripster

I miss attacking the old crown.
  9. Ripster

You can be outnumbered by 35 people in 100v100 and it not matter at all. Defending them seems to just hit critical mass where it would need more than one coordinated platoon to take them because with that many people the defense doesn't have to be coordinated. I don't have a problem with the close quarters, but it could use another type of approach. Those teleporter rooms are deathtraps.
  10. KnightCole

Biolabs need more levels.

We need a Greenhouse level with a B point.

We need grav lifts to get into other parts in the lab besides 2 entrances. And those teleporters are right beside the ent, so they offer no additional ent.

Kinda wish the Biolabs took a page out of Shadespire farm's book. I like the field out there. Would be good in a Biolab.
  11. blag

Biolabs are just where the glaring problems with Planetside's gameplay are the most obvious.
  12. Taemien

Any base can hit critical mass like that. Normally vehicles swing it, but biolabs don't have that option. The other option is to hold them at one of the outlaying bases (they will push out if you don't attack). And hit them along the other lanes. Eventually they'll disperse and travel to one of those lanes. Thats when a coordinated group Gal drops in and takes the SCU down.

But again you can do that with any base, and thats a continent wide strategy. You can't look at a biolab in a vacuum. You have to look at the lanes next to it and what leads to and from it. This game is so much more than simply a single base then another single base then another single base.

Thats where the Zerg fails. They play this game as if its a normal FPS like Battlefield. Where you connect to a server, play a map, win or lose a map, and then play another map. We're on one big map. Biolabs are only a single place on the map (or three places) and what you do on the otherside of the map DOES affect the biolab.

This is also why I tell people to stop zerging and stop lone wolfing. There's a bajillion little things people complain about (biolabs included), that would simply disappear for them if they just ran with a coordinated platoon.