Better than walls: a creative take on aircraft in PS2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, May 27, 2013.

1. brilig

Solid ideas from the OP.
  2. Chicken Wings

Another solution could be equipping spawn rooms with AA turrets. Or at least, having a tower next to the spawn room that has an AA turret on it. This would help with access without teleporting to the turrets, unless...

I wasn't paying attention, and the turrets work like a remote control. That's an intriguing idea...

Or, just put a teleporter accessible from the spawn room to the inside of the tech plant, which has easy access to the teleporters to the top of the towers.

Or, just make it so that spawn rooms are in better positions relative to the whole tech plant. :eek:
  3. Bruno Puntz Jones

I remember when PS2 first came out and watching streams of it. Every single one was named "PATH TO BR100" with some guy who looked like he was in a coma mindlessly orbiting a biolab in a Liberator farming infantry. They would wake up now and then to land and repair or orbit an ammo tower for a minute. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And the plane has only been buffed since then.

On the other hand, I also remember watching TE run amok with 100+ guys in a foot zerg all toting Annihilators and just wrecking the hell out of any ground or air vehicles silly enough to spawn within range of them. But that's the only outfit that I've ever seen actually execute something like an organized ground force doctrine during attacks.

This is true of everything in PS2. Any one thing you can name is trivially countered by 50 of anything else working together with a solid plan. It just hardly ever happens that you see 50 players do anything together with anything remotely like a solid plan.

And that leaves you with a "balance" that is determined by which units are the biggest force multipliers for small groups of 1 to 3 players, who spend all their time farming larger groups that have no clue about working together. If the bigger groups would work as well together as the smaller ones, the smaller ones would be destroyed. But they don't. So they aren't.

The suggestions in the OP are good, but in a larger sense they're not going to do much to solve the underlying problem that if you try to play a combined arms game like it's COD, then you're just going to get farmed non-stop by groups that have some real doctrine and discipline, and a sense of how to actually combine arms.
  4. Bruno Puntz Jones

Bubbles won't matter. Libs will still be able to hover outside render range or crank graphics settings to low and just shoot through them like they don't exist. Cause with client-side cheese detection, they don't.