Best close range weapon for Vanu

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Hypersot, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Hypersot

Title says it all... what is the best weapon for close range combat for engineer?

I'm playing mostly Vanu

ps. if best = expensive, it'd be great if I could get a suggestion for the cheaper version before I move on to the expensive one

thanks
  2. Marinealver

Pandora but it only works at point blank range.
    If you use that better double up on grenades and get real good with that man turret.
  3. Hypersot

I'm pretty good with my turret, that's why I need an almost melee-range weapon :)

since this is a 1000 cert wep, what would be the cheaper choice?

thanks
  4. Wibin

The stock engine weapon is good, but the 3rd upgrade weapon for the credits isn't that bad.

It does a little more damage, but the re-load is slower.

Honestly the shot guns are great, but requuire to close of range, by that tiem the engie will be smoked.
  5. Doreen Green

I'm currently in love with the serpent. Add in the forward grip and it is super fast firing and pretty accurate all around. Great at close range though cause of the ROF.

In terms of damage it would be shotguns... but like the previous post said I usually end up dead before I'm in a good enough position to use one.
  6. Hypersot

hmm, I need less RoF and more dmg

I actually manage to get really close to enemies quite often and since I have an issue with latency (~80ms here) I tend to lose in the RoF battle -sometimes the enemies are not where they're supposed to be *shrug*

soo... I need my first shot to *really* count ;)

@Wibin... 3rd upgrage weapon?.. which weapon that might be?
  7. 4Dentity

Default one is pretty awesome because it has pretty damn fast reload time, not sure if i will upgrade it for SF version due grenade/smoke laucher as those(atleast grenade one)seems to bug out. But when(if)those gets fixed i will definetly get SF as it will be a killer indoors.
  8. Goats

Try out the Pulsar Compact. It's a bit harder to handle, but the shots hit harder, I found it to be pretty nice in close quarters. It's cheap, too. The Solstice SF is good too, if you want the grenade launcher.
  9. Havelock

I currently run two CQC classes. Spec'd with one gun on two different setups. I was in love with the Thanos with extended mags. You get a good rate of fire, 10 shots, and decent spread. For those Up-in-your-face moments I grab the one equip'd with a holo and forward grip to allow me to duck in and sweep a room clear rather quickly.

Where the shotties really shine are the slugs. I cannot tell you how important getting slugs is. Once I got that ammo Suddenly my CQC class starts picking off targets at mid-range in 2 shots, and the accurecy is good enough that getting up-close is still effective to aim from the hip and drop a slug in an enemy's chest. It became my new go-to class, and then I discovered the scope.

4x. That's right. 4x. No bullet drop means I'm picking targets off at -range- now, effectively weilding a 10 shot semi-auto rifle instead of a spread, and the slug ammo doesn't have as bad a damage fallout as our other guns do. I've never had to hit anyone more then 3 times to kill them at a distance, and I find that if my first shot breaks shields a decent amount of times. It's become so much my favorite weapon I saved it across all my classes, and it's moved from loadout 3 to my default loadout 1.
  10. Hypersot

@havenlock. I bet that setup cost a lot of certs o.o ... I admit, it sounds really sweet though :D

@Goats. Is 'Solstice SF' and 'Solstice' only difference the grenade launcher?
  11. Goats

Well, the SF has a slightly lower rate of fire, but it can do a lot more things. You can equip any of the launchers, both ammo types, and many attachments. Go to the cert menu for engineer and scroll down with the arrow keys to see its attachments. Other than that, yeah, it's the same gun.
  12. Foefaller

Should be noted that any ammo for the launchers, even grenades, can be reloaded by ammo drops, so the SF is a pretty good weapon for engi's who want that extra versatility. It's what I (playing engi most of the time) hope to get enough certs to buy this weekend.

And even though they are bullet hoses, the VX6-7 and Serpent are two of deadliest carbines a Vanu Engi or LA can carry. If I heard it right, the VX6-7 was actually one of the best short-range rifles of any of the factions at Launch, having one of the highest TTK (Time To Kill, i.e. how long it takes once you start shooting someone in optimal conditions for you to kill them) rates of any carbine in the game, and the Serpent does the same damage per bullet and fires even faster. Only problem is that they reload so slowly, which is compounded by how fast they go through that 30 round clip; With the Serpent, you could literatry be spending at least as much time in a firefight reloading as shooting, and the VX6-7 is not much better.

Okay, after reading that, I have my second LA/Engi weapon to aspire to. :D
  13. Hypersot

wow... that's indeed a lot of choices there. Tbh I like the versatility of SF, at least until I get enough certs for the monster guns

I think I got the answers I needed... thanks a lot people, I'll put your suggestions to good use ;)