Behind the Scenes: Making New Helmets - Forum Discussion - Feb. 23 2024

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Mithril, Feb 23, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mithril Community Manager

Behind the Scenes: Making New Helmets
    Greetings Auraxians!
    For this month’s dev letter, we wanted to share something a little different – a behind the scenes look at the process our artists go through when creating new items in PlanetSide 2. Our example piece for this behind-the-scenes look is the new Lunar Dragon Helmet available in the Lunar New Year Bundle [2024]. We hope you enjoy a peek behind the curtain!

Planning
    The process begins with a planning phase. During this time, ideas are presented to be made into an asset for an in-game event or update. Let's look at the Lunar New Year event as an example.
    This year we decided to create a unique helmet for the event.
    After consulting with our Game Designers about any specific requirements, the process is taken over by the Art Department.

Exploration
    The Lunar New Year is a celebration that marks the arrival of spring and the beginning of a fresh lunar cycle. Honored by many cultures across Asia, the way it's celebrated is unique to each place. It is the most important holiday for the Chinese (Spring Festival) and is widely celebrated by Vietnamese (Tet Nguyen Dan), Koreans (Seollal), Mongolians (Tsagaan Sar), and many others.
    The intricacies of traditions around the holiday are diverse, so we focused on the largest groups finding the most common element that overlaps. In this case, the Dragon zodiac symbol and the colors used during the festivities such as Gold (Yellow) and Silver (White). This is our foundation behind the helmet, decal, banner, frame, and nudge ideation. The work on the helmet starts with focusing on the keywords: Dragon, Fire, Asia, Red, Yellow, PlanetSide2, Sci-Fi.
    We then visualize a concept of an idea.
    [IMG]

From here the idea is born and we have a helmet influenced by Asian cultures in the PlanetSide 2 style. It incorporates a dragon head, red and yellow as the primary colors, and faction specific tints for additional details.

Next, we move on with exploring designs and shapes. At this stage, the shape becomes the primary focus.
    [IMG]

Iteration
    We then decide on three distinct ideas and present them for consideration.
    [IMG]
    After contemplating the scope of work, we choose a final direction.
    [IMG]

Details
    Next, we shift our focus towards functional and technical examination of the asset.
    Taking everything into account, we start the linework, proportions of different elements, and we begin fine tuning the silhouette followed by adding in the details.
    The idea is that the entire helmet is the dragon's head. The emptiness of the dragon's mouth will be represented by a dark visor hiding the player's face.
    [IMG]

Grayscale
    Linework is finished up and we move on to grayscale painting to block out the contrast.
    The goal here is to have a clear separation of different elements without the dramatic difference in contrast between two close parts (we might just reserve that for a few focus points).
    [IMG]

Color Exploration
    At this stage we consider how the asset will exist within the environment, like hinting the faction colors, technical limitations, etc.
    In this case, faction colors will be in the second plan, while the colors associated with the Lunar New Year will be brought to the first plan. The objective is to make the asset stand out without disrupting the sense of belonging.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Finalizing the Concept
    We use the colors to further emphasize the face of the dragon, separate different elements, and provide space for hinting the player's faction.
    For high production level work, we usually do not make highly detailed concept renders, a simple reference to work from is all that our 3D artist requires.
    [IMG]

3D Modeling, Rigging & Implementation
    Once the concept is done and approved, we move on to creating the 3D asset.
    In this step, we make sure that the 3D artist understands the idea behind the concept. In this case, it just so happens that the 2D concept did not translate perfectly into 3D. This is why effective communication and direction is needed. It ensures a smooth transition into this step. This minimizes the need for 3D model corrections later on.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The base model is now textured and complete. We can move on to setting up the faction tints on the pre-agreed elements. In this case, the tints are deliberately subtle to not take away from the spirit of the helmet, which celebrates the Lunar Year.
    [IMG]

The model is then sent to an animator for rigging and once rigged it is imported into the Engine. There, the shaders are set up and adjusted for the finishing touches bringing the helmet to life.
    - PlanetSide 2 Team

Thanks for checking out today's dev letter. Let us know what you think in the replies below!
    • Up x 2
  2. ASYNI

I'm already looking forward to it, hopefully the helmets will also get such a cool lighting effect
  3. nowtna

good work. I was wondering the same. Content wise what can we effect now that the helm has been moved forward?
    you
    I think the gear unlocks should outpace considerations for purchase but I really like the color iteration. Seems like you made a good choice. Its nothing compared to the debonair ones or what I imagine a max helm beefed up would look like but who knows what the next few weeks hold!

GL Nals
  4. VV4LL3

Perhaps open up the player studio again to everyone?
  5. ThoughtfulCow

So these cosmetics can be earned? Or are they extremely pricey?
  6. CaudillAvenger

It's a cool hat and I already bought it, but I recommend bringing back faction colors. This hat should be red/blue/purple, not all red. The same goes for Ice Dragon camo. Quickly identifying enemies is already hard enough, especially with the NSO visual cues being so weak.

That said, thanks for the insight on the creative process. It was enjoyable.
  7. OutlawJaw

Looks really cool! thanks for sharing. PLEASE FIX THE CONSTANT DISCONNECTS WHEN IN A VALK THANK YOU
  8. Kurticus Swoodlebong

Hello all, very new to this forum but I love Planetside 2. I can't figure out quite how to post a question of my own to the forum, and so far this is the only place I've seen where I can actually post a response.

I love seeing the artwork of the helmets, and the creative process at work! My question isn't quite related but isn't not related either. When will the 10th Anniversary bundle be available again? When it was available last December, I barely missed being able to buy it by a day! Will it come back? I super want to get it :D
  9. shehriar1

Really Informative Trhread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.