Behind the front-lines heavy

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Repe Susi, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Repe Susi

Defender. Long-range support. Whatever you wish to name it, but I've been having fun with my heavy using TMG-50 with 2-round burst-fire. And my trusty Striker of course! Lash out at enemies from range.

Obviously not that useful in crowded bases nor as useful in great ranges as sniper but in a certain situations very good IMO.

Anybody else play/have long range setup similar to this? Other Thoughts?
    • Up x 1
  2. Eternaloptimist

Yup, and BR (no, really) and the Phoenix. I sometimes do this when I am a bit tired, off my game or drunk and cannot cope in face to face combat but need to get my PS2 fix. The TMG50 is particularly good at longer range with the 3.4x scope IMO. I main other classes nowadays but if there are aircraft around I still sometimes go long range HA, just to have the RL handy
  3. bubbacon

Brings back ALOT of memories. When i first started playing PS2, I also used the TMG 50 exclusively at range. Litlle did I know that this was hard mode for a new player and I pretty much got owned, but I got pretty good with the 50. My favorite loadout was 6X scope, comp, and FG.(infis were my fav target)

I stayed away from HVA because at that period of the game, HVA made this weapon less effective. It was better with standard ammo at that time. HVA has been tweaked some and I think its better. What I liked about the TMG 50 was that it gives a straight up shot pattern, so if your the type of player that aims center mass, burst firing lands very well and alot of 3rd shots go straight to the haad by just letting the weapon do its own thing...no mouse compensation needed. When I aimed with the TMG, I would litterally aim at the feet and let my burst ride up naturally.

Now, I have come full circle with the 50 and today it is my favorite CQC weapon...yep, CQC. See the 50 really jerks the **** out of its target. Add that with your 167 damage rounds and you've got yourself the TRs version of the Anchor. Loadout is different and may surprise you...I run 1X scope, FG, Comp, and HVA! Yeah man, the HVA rocks on this baby in CQC for some odd reason. Been thinking about dropping the FG and adding a LS as well as dropping the Comp for a silencer for kicks.
  4. Repe Susi

Whoa. :eek: Feels a bit overkill to me. I'm using 3.4x like Eternaloptimist. Doesn't that punish you, as it's really more sniper's range?

The setup indeed gives some room to take it easier than hectic base assaults, hanging back and supporting the assault troops and watching for the (air)vehicles.
  5. bubbacon

nah, it was fun popping Infis with it. This play style also made me very efficient with the Battle Rifle. Thats how I played HA for a year...TMG 50 and BR. Good times!
  6. jmdafk

if some one can genuinly be effective with the TMG at range, then i lower my hat to them.
    I found it useless, the recoil is horrendous so you can only single shot. 167 damage at range (143?) is nothing compared to almost half the guns in the game. Infact a Lynx can land 2 or 3 rounds in a very tight group at long range, many VS weapons can fire full auto at ranges where the tmg is single shotting and the NC will be hitting you with +20% damage.
    I find the rhino a better option, you can fire bursts and land more rounds quicker at range than the tmg will. Problem in these situations is your landing so few rounds so infrequently the enemy often has time to find cover.
    As such i never really go out as per OP as a heavy. I prefer doing it with a LA and the lynx, you can close in quicker for an almost certain kill yet still scare them at range if you need to. As a TR heavy your going to be outgunned in almost every situation if they decide to shoot back.
  7. Erendil

My usual playstyle is that of the HA Designated Marksman and in that role I use the following loadout:
    • Eidolon Battle Rifle - 3.4x + laser - although sometimes I use 4x and/or Foregrip instead, esp when countersniping
    • Lancer
    • Commissioner + 2x + Darklight Flashlight
    • Advanced Shield Capacitor + Resist Shield - for maximum uptime and maximum sniper OHK protection
    • Regen 3 Implant - for topping of my health when taking minor damage
    • Medkits - used only when taking high damage and/or needing to get back to full health faster than what Regen3 can do
    This loadout gives me long range AI (BR), Anti-MAX (Lancer or BR), AV (Lancer), and AA (Lancer). I may be at a disadvantage up close 1v1 against an enemy MAX or equally-skilled enemy HA armed w/ an LMG, but I make up for it in reach, precision, and versatility.
    No automatic primary has quite the range of a Battle Rifle in experienced hands. It's not quite the range of OHK snipers, but it's still far enough to cover the majority of bases, e.g. - the entire courtyard of an Amp Station from the main building. It's also great for popping heads thru windows and Engie Turrets, shooting legs underneath Sundys, etc.
    The two types of healing extends the time I can spend out in the field. Usually I end up having to come back for more BR ammo, which isn't too much of a hassle since I don't roam so far away from friendly troops as a long range sniper often does.
    Resist Shield is also imperative. As a DM, the biggest infantry threats by far are enemy snipers, most of whom have OHK BASRs. But so long as you have full health/shields, Resist will let you survive 1 BASR headshot through its entire duration - unlike NMG/Adren that get weaker over time once activated and only give you maybe 2-3 secs of OHK protection.
  8. Iridar51

I find that in general automatic weapons with long effective range are more comfortable to play with, as they are versatile and can return fire at any range. It's less of an issue for LMGs, but very noticeable on carbines / CQC ARs and below.

I'm not sure there's much of a place for ranged HA in the game, since even "CQC" LMGs have quite good range with proper recoil control. And if you can't reach an enemy even with that, you're probably already in the territory of scout rifles or sniper rifles.
  9. AxiomInsanity87

Goddamn you make that sounds smexy.

I didn't bother with it on pc as it;s rof didn't appeal to me but you have me sold and i am getting it when i log on in a bit.

Can't agree with the ls though.....foregrip on everything for me.

Ah wow yeah checking stats properly, i am sold. Just like the pounder max, i have no idea why i played so long without finding them preferable. The TMG looks potentially like it is the lmg for me.

I do really like the bull for it's mobile feel as well. It is very slick.
  10. bubbacon

I hear ya about FGs. They are great, but so are LS's. Here's what I like about LS's, even when they may effect a weapon negatively, they provide that straight line to target. Now when your looking through a 1X reflex with a lazer beaming a straight line to where you're aiming, thats pretty awesome to my old eyes. Without the lazer beam, your having to compensate by just knowing the weapons characteristics, or spray and pray.

Same with that old question we all ask ourselves about Comps, Flash Suppressors, and Suppressors. Which is better? The question is how bad do you want to show up on a mini map? Do I want to use a weapon to its full TTK by using a comp or a slightly less version that keeps me off the radar? I play that mind mesh in my head every time I play LoL. Thats why we love PS2.
  11. Eternaloptimist

We might see a bit more of this from HAs after the introduction of the shield nerf and the BR buff (to accuracy at least, UB attachments won't help at long range ofc).