Bayonets and Suppressors

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Trenchfox1917, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Trenchfox1917

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the planetside 2 forums. I am a lifelong gamer, a history buff (especially world war 1), a bolt-action rifle enthusiast, an amateur game designer, and hope to be a beneficial part of the community here.

I have noticed a serious shortage of bayonets. A game is only improved upon with the addition of bayonets. This is how I would implement them. Everyone is welcome to add their own ideas.

1. Bayonets are an infiltrator only class feature meant to give them a small advantage in close quarters.
    2. The "bayonet lug" is a cert'able barrel attachment. Every player's regular knife is fitted to the end of the rifle as a bayonet.
    3. The "bayonet" can be fixed or removed during combat using a hotkey (I am relatively new to the game so I am not sure if tertiary fire is available).
    4. Advantages: While the bayonet is fixed the range of melee attacks is increased. This is especially true for bolt-action rifles. Additionally the weight of the bayonet decreases vertical recoil during shots in rapid succession. In conjunction with the forward grip this makes it much easier to rapid fire semi-auto rifles. The bayonet has no effect on recoil with bolt-action rifles.
    5. Disadvantage: The rifle is more likely to experience a "misfire" with the bayonet attached where the bullet will go in a wayward direction. This is not the case for bolt-action rifles. For either kind of rifle, the bayonet has to be removed before switching weapons, which is a fast process, but slightly slows down swapping between weapons.

summary:
    - adds a "bayonet lug" barrel attachment. The regular knife is fitted to the rifle. It can be fixed or removed using a hotkey
    - semi-auto: Decreases vertical recoil, and gives increased melee range, but increases chance of a misfire (stray bullet).
    - Bolt-action: gives a greatly increased melee distance.
    - the bayonet must be removed before switching weapons which is quick, but slows down weapon change times.

As an add note: Suppressors have awesome strategic significance, but need to be more versatile. The best way to do this is by implementing a system in which they are "fixed" or removed from the barrel with a hotkey. This would allow for both long ranged accuracy and power and short range infiltrations.

thanks for reading. All we need now are some trenches...
  2. SAS|Kain

Nice idea. I don't think there needs to be a disadvantage, tbh, and this could replace the pointless 'forward grip' unlock for bolt action snipers.
  3. VKhaun

You had me until you said infiltrator only.
    I would gladly give up my barrel or under barrel attachments for a bayonet.

Borderlands(2) does this. When you have that weapon out and you hit the melee button, instead of busting out the knife they use the weapon to attack, and it does +X% extra melee damage.