Base layouts are OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sumguy720, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Sumguy720

I think that the reason shotguns, scat maxes, and all sorts of other things are considered by different people to be overpowered is because the base layouts in this game favor two game modes:

1. ESF rocket pods/tank battles
    2. CQB

There are no places where infantry can really thrive in mid or long range except in some weird boundary situations where for some reason an infantry fight has randomly broken out in a forest on amerish without armor support.

This is why I guess I have grown to like amp stations and tech plants a bit better than biolabs. I really would like to see some indoor areas that could qualify as midrange engagement situations, or even some base layouts that allow for long range infantry engagements without the possibility of tanks overrunning the battlefield.

It seems like because the bases prefer cqb (even the smaller bases are very constricted in their typical engagement ranges) the game overall prefers the cqb style of play. I wish there were more open areas that could be denied to armor by force fields or something. It would make gate crasher sunderers a lot more useful, too.
  2. NyaR

So you made some statements but didn't bother to back them up.

You say it favors close quarters combat, but then say it favors tank and ESF which are fighting at medium range.

Anyway I don't think you know what you are talking about. You got a whole continent and your complaint is that there isn't enough space.
  3. Sumguy720

I didn't provide examples because I thought it would be obvious to the most casual observer.

I know what I'm talking about. ESF/tank combat happens on the open plains of esamir and indar between bases. CQB happens inside bases, biolabs, amp stations, etc. They are mutually exclusive situations in the game, but both exist. Do you want to contribute something to the discussion?
  4. HadesR

Be nice if they mixed it up a little in building size .. Such as like a warehouse facility .. 2 or 3 big multi story buildings , with crates for indoor cover but where combat can take place at 40m's + , interlock them with small tighter CQC buildings . would be an interesting change
  5. NyaR

QCB around the control point, sure, everywhere else? No.
  6. Sumguy720

Exactly what I was thinking. Or even a more urban environment where combat takes place between buildings rather than just inside them. I think it's where this game is missing out on a lot of what battlefield players enjoy. Not to say that this game should be battlefield, but just that the map distancing/ranges/arrangement was done well in the battlefield games whereas planetside seems to be a tad hot and cold.
  7. HadesR

Never played BF .. But I do miss the Urban combat a game like WW2online had .. But then again tanks + aircraft were rare which maybe made a huge difference
  8. xThundergodx

Couldnt agree more with both posts, the real issue with shotguns is not the fact that those weapons are good at CQB the problem is that every single base on the game favor too much towards CQB making it the superior choice in almost every situation with no draw back. If u are not a complete ****** due to how the bases layout works you can stay in optimum shotgun range all the time and that makes any other sort of weapon obsolete. Im fine with 1 type of weapon rulling close quarters but what about giving people a reason to use mid/long range and at the same time working as the disadvantage of walking around with a shotgun.I guess all the bad base designs were made under the pretense that in a massive FPS with very low TTK if there arent dozens of small buildings to hide in people would die to fast.