AV/AI combo

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Alexanor, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Alexanor

So... am I the only person who actually likes this? I have every single MAX weapon unlocked, and for the longest time I was using dual AI or dual AV (dual AA is a no-brainer... in fact, I have extended mags on both), but recently I have started using 1x Cosmo and 1x Comet and I've been VERY much enjoying it. I get so many "snipe" kills now with it, and it makes me feel a lot less useless when confronting enemy MAX / vehicle units.

I just really wish there were options to upgrade the AV weapons. :(
  2. X3Killjaeden

For NC not really viable, because one of the weapons is completely useless past 15m
    And one AV weapon is pretty awefull at taking out vehicles etc and the drop makes it harder to hit with (+ offset which all maxes have i guess)
    In that case i could just go HA with shotgun and Launcher...
  3. Otulien

You actually found a VS MAX weapon that is viable against vehicles?

I'm impressed. I've only unlocked the second burster for the MAX, so for vehicles/infantry I have to deal with the stock peices of crap. For me it takes 2 full mags to damage a MBT, and by thattime I'm dead anyways.

But, As I discovered yesterday whilst defending The Crown, Bursters make decent AI in a pinch ;)
  4. StormFrog

It's probably most viable on the VS MAX. The TR and NC MAXs have to deal with bullet drop so they run into situations where they have to aim above people with the AV arm and straight at people with the AI arm.
  5. Pikachu

Hitting anything but tanks with max AV weapons is rather hard and the reload time is painfully slow. The DPS is lower than a rocket launcher and doesn't have any tracking or noticeable splash damage. The only good thing about them is their huge amount of ammo.

The NC max is only useful indoors, at which an AV weapon is not good enough.
  6. Anvildude

Just got a second Comet, and I find I'm actually missing my Quasar (don't have any other AI). I'm thinking I might actually stick with the AI/AV combo until the enemy starts vehicle spamming- I'll try the Dual Comets for a while more, see if I get used to the aiming differences, but I definitely see the benefit of having the one AI weapons.

I just wish I could get a Basilisk for one arm, actually. Something that works on both Infantry and Vehicles.
  7. Blackinvictus

That is most definitely NOT true man. I use my falcon max indoors/outdoors equally and have had great sucess with it

Strategy is a little different than with a scatter/saws. Get to the top of stairs by a point facing a door? Nothing is getting in there. You can one shot insta kill infantry, and splash a group of them. Can snipe infantry from long distances. Medium range is awesome too. In your face will limit you, but close the distance and hit the "T" button, problem solved.

Don't fire both arms at the same time and you dont have problems with reloading and always have one in the chamber.

Higher elevation than your prey and you are GOD.

Definitely NOT useless outside as you are implying.
  8. Evil Monkey

Seeing a lot more NC MAXes with Falcons actually.... a product of the nerf? Or all the "pro" players with dual scatterguns going off to play another faction... I hear the Mosquito is pretty good at getting certs...
  9. Pikachu

I played around with mattock slugs and falcon. It turned out that falcons don't hit where you aim at close range. You have to aim a little to the left if your falcon is on the right. The closer the target is, the more to the left you must aim. That's why my falcon rounds appear to pass through all the time.

This is problematic when you dual wield falcons, either both miss or 1 hit and in both cases you have to spend time reloading both. Unless you are quick enough to fire one at a time and adjust your aim.

Mattock with slug was less accurate than I hoped for but if I hit with a falcon and make a few quick follow up shots with mattock it gave good results. Whenever next 2x XP weekend is, I might buy the mattock.
  10. Alexanor

I'm not saying it's viable damage against vehicles, but it's enough to scare them (or at least get them to target you, heh). Double Comets is awful and I don't recommend anyone do that. Ever. The thing is, I find that with the extended clip Cosmos, I'm already aiming well at/ahead of the target to hit them, so hitting them with the Comet is seldom an issue.

I suppose I would like to say that this isn't really a front-line choice, but makes for an excellent mid-ranged MAX choice that is very viable against all targets.
  11. Flashtirade

Before the MAX nerf, I loved using the stock setup (Scatter/Falcon). Sure, the TTK was a little bit higher, but for me, one shotgun was more than enough. I used the Falcon to harass/kill infantry and even enemy MAXes at range. The convergence wasn't really an issue for me.

After the nerf, I'm saving up to replace the scatter with the Mattock on that same setup, and that's about it.
  12. Blackinvictus

Best thing to do at short range when that happens is not aim at the guy at all, aim at the ground in front of the guy or beside the guy while backing up. (be careful though, you will take splash damage from your shots if you are right ouside the zone, takes some practice) He will take two spash damage rounds, and if he is smart will run which gives you some time to back up and get a better shot or shoot him in the back. Some of them thinking you slow and clumsy will try to do that side back and forth thing or that stupid ******** bunny hop which is quite funny cause then he just gave you a predictable area to lead your shots! Certs for you!

Always fire one at a time though or this wont work due to reload times.

You are in trouble if its an LA flying up to C4 you, but then again you're in trouble when that happens if he closes the gap on you no matter what weapons you have. Unless you can punch him of course which with me is 50/50 heh.

Happy MAXing!
  13. Frosty The Pyro

all MAX AV has that issue, and they all have different convergance ranges (where they cross and can double hit the target). Falcons have the longest convergance, at around 40 to 50m, pounders a bit shorter than that, and Commets a bit closer than pounders. But when you fight at convergence range, they are rip and tear vs infantry. At shorter or longer ranges though they leave you vulnerable. Vehicles of course are much larger so you only have to worry about the split at fairly extreme ranges.

I am a long time falcon MAX user, and its been getting more and more popular at time goes on, what with it being the NC maxs med-long range option. The nerfs probably did push more folks into chosing it over AI though.
  14. Ripshaft

Yeah it can be pretty fun and effective, but it demands more... engagement? Yeah that's the right word. Every av shot has to be calculated, as the price for failure's pretty brutal, where with dual ai's there really isnt a failure state or fire, other than getting headshotted by a deci after missing the last shot or something... doesnt really count =p
  15. Pikachu

Anyone find this functional on for terrans? The falcon causes enough injury at any range so that 1 shot from the AI weapon is enough to finish the target off. For terrans 2 shots with slower velocity is required.
  16. Alexanor

Yes. I play a TR alt and find that it works almost just as well. I prefer the VS Comet though over the TR AV gun (can't remember the stock name) simply because of the lack of bullet drop, but otherwise they're pretty comparible.
  17. Dragonblood

Why would use something against tanks that is slow, doesn't do damage and can't take a hit from a tank.
  18. PureSalad

Hacksaw + Falcon :D