Auto-Brightness/Contrast causing rapid FPS spikes

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ThePropain, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ThePropain

When I am in a large, complex facility [Such as Amp Stations] I keep getting these constant FPS spikes where it just constantly plummets from 40 to 10 then back up to 40 again, regardless if there is a battle or not. I've noticed that every time a spike occurs, my screen suddenly dims, with the fps dropping with it, then it brightens up to normal again, with the fps returning to normal along with it. The spike only lasts like 1 second, but when you got it happening every 5 seconds, it can become seriously annoying. How do I turn this off?

Things worth noting:
    - It stops happening when you alt tab to desktop.
    - It continues to happen even with Steam Overlay up.
    - It still happens on Windowed.

My settings:
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    All settings are on low/ off except for Effects, Terrain, and Textures.

I've tried:
    -Setting to High Performace scheme
    -Changing Resoultion.
  2. manmad

I had the same problem.

This happend to me when i played games that used alot of power like planetside 2 or battlefield 3.

The problem for me was that my laptop used more power than it was charging. So it was switching between battery mode and high performance mode.

See if you are also switching between battery mode and high performance mode. Thats also the reason why your fps are dropping, as battery mode cripples your cpu.

I bought a stronger charger and everything was fine (had a weaker one than normal because my old one broke.
  3. ThePropain

But i'm not on a laptop, I'm on a desktop. I'm pretty sure there is not "battery mode" for a desktop computer, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    (Sorry for me not noting that)
  4. Elrobochanco

They don't have battery mode, but most desktop PCs do have power saving features. You can check them out in control panels power options. High performance mode will stop your pc from stepping down your cpu to dynamically save power. And you might have additional features in your bios for these things.

I will say it's super strange that your screen would dim if it's not a laptop.
  5. ThePropain

Creating my own power plan- everything in advanced settings is set to Max Performance, Optimize Video, you name it, it's still auto adjusting the contrast. This thing is really destroying my fps, and it's getting really irratating.
    If no one really knows, I might as well take my question somewhere else then.
  6. manmad

sorry for not being able to help you. I would search for a program that checks how much power you use/gain though, maybe your power adapter is not strong enouf.
  7. TSR AlexS Customer Service

What server and specific complexes are you receiving these lag spikes?
  8. ThePropain

It seems to only happen when there are large infantry battles in complex facilities, (Biolabs, Amp Stations, sometimes Towers).
    Sometimes it decides to happen, sometimes it doesn't. But when it does, it "sticks" to me everywhere I go, meaning that it just keeps auto-adjusting, even if you or the fighting go elsewhere.

For example, I had this happen while in a battle defending Andvari Biolab. We successfully held it until the last 10 minutes of the alert, and the enemy pulled out. Everyone else went elsewhere after that, but I stayed in the spawn room, and it just continued to happen despite having the battle gone away. I redeployed to the Warpgate, where there is no fighting at all, and it just continued to auto adjust. I found that relogging or sometimes restarting shoos it away for awhile, only to have it happen again at another battle.
  9. BlackDove

There are different power plans for desktops, just like there are for laptops and many of the default settings(like most programs, including the Nvidia control panel) are set incorrectly.

What are your specs?

Adaptive contrast/brightness is usually done by the monitor itself, and shouldn't affect software.
  10. ThePropain

• Computer: iMac Mid-2010
    • CPU: Intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz (3rd gen I think)
    • GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5750
    • RAM: 14GB
    Definitely not the best computer in the world (Heck, it's a Mac) but definitely not the worst either. It can run Team Fortress 2 with no problems at all.
  11. Cab00se187

Your power bar could be failing. You're power supply could be. This does not sound like a PS2 issue