Auraxium Plating Looks. . . Bad

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by -Synapse-, Aug 10, 2014.

1. -Synapse-

I die a little every time I see this armor, because I know someone somewhere actually thought this looked good. It is literally just composite armor with the Auraxium effect applied everywhere. I wouldn't mind so much if it was a lumifiber-esque trim, but it covers all of the surface area which just looks wrong on a set of armor designed to have material variation.

This is graphical design 101, you can't just take a premade object with colors, materials, and textures then slap a unified pattern on it. Animated or not it looks strange to have pouches, plates, straps, and everything else made of jelly. Remodeling the armor set would be one way to go, that and/or making it a trim similar to lumifiber.

Maybe I'm being too picky, maybe I expected too much, or maybe I'm the only one who things it looks like crap. I dunno, but it was bugging me so I made a thread about it.
    • Up x 5
  2. Azarga

This exactly. Jelly armor looks really out of place.
    • Up x 1
  3. MaxDamage

Looks kinda cool and trippy to me.
    I'd prefer it as a camo, as I like Ogre armour but whatevs.

4. Phyr

It doesn't look that good with a lot of camos. Maybe couple it with dark/black?
  5. Prudentia

All you need is a Purple Camo
    this could be the rethroning of Halftone Camo
    fashion in this game is worse than Game of Thrones
  6. Bassett

yea it looks a bit cheesy but w/e
  7. Latrodectus

WouldSpreadOnASandwich/10
    • Up x 2
  8. Bankrotas

I blame t.ray.
    • Up x 1
  9. Nexus545

Looking at that TR MAX I think it looks quite cool.
  10. Pikachu

The MAX armor is nice.
  11. Bankrotas

Because it's meant to be shown like nice. Once you'll get full picture, it'll probably be looking hella worse.
  12. Bassett

That video is Vanu Labs, nothing to do with SOE.
  13. eldarfalcongravtank

yupp, and thats EXACTLY the reason i dont care for the directives
  14. Bankrotas

Wish to show, the coolest new bits doesn't help to be objective. I know who's video it is.
  15. Stigma

Frankly - its lazy. They just added a shader to an existing armor - and like so many things in PS2 it's gaudy as frack. Glowing weapons, jelly shaded armor, gold trim and lumifiber anticamoflage - and bloom everywhere.... it feels like person in charge of the games visual design strategy never learned about the concept of less is more.

When they took the time to introduce a whole new directive system I don't think it would be too much to ask to model one extra armor set. "elite armor" or whatever, that you could use with any camo and had some cool details like big shoulderpads and/or extra belts of ammo slung over-shoulder like a badass veteran - rather than this jelly shaded nonsense.

Pure white/black camo on the other hand - now that's a great reward, and sheer simplicity to implement. Good choice on that one at least.

-Stigma
    • Up x 1