AT mine or AP mine?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by ironeddie, Mar 2, 2013.

1. ironeddie

Wondering which type if mine people prefer to use. I went with anti personnel mines on the basis that I would probably get more kills mineing corridors, gen rooms etc. I also like to mine in front of base defence turrets either to kill the player when they leave the turret or to protect me from an enemy walking up to the turret I'm using & planting c4.

I've read some of the threads about the creative uses of AT mines & I'm wondering if I would be better off using them in that way. Or if I could use c4 & my AP mines.
  2. Dopubalimatu

Use AT mine.Using AP mines in annoying and generally grants you only 1 kill.A kill that could have just as easily have been done by any gun.However, plant AT mines to a road that an incoming enemy zerg will use and you are granted at least 1 vehicle kill and maybe 2.Consider that you could take out a vanguard or a sundy with people inside along the fact that destroying vehicles ,especially sundies as they can be used as spawn points, is a much better use of your time than getting a couple lone infantry kills.The more vehicles in a zerg the harder the zerg is to stop.Wither the numbers down and managing it will be exponentially easier.
  3. AmitGr

Both have their advantages.
    AT mines are great for roads and for suicide engineer going for a sunderer/tank kill by placing mines on top of it. However, mineguard (which is more and more used of late) will block the destruction of the vehicle.
    AP mines can cover your *** by placing in the rear (where you don't look) if you are in a sniping/mana turret position, and will make sure you know an enemy is coming for you from behind.

Like anything else in the game - the choice which is better is situational. No need for AP mines against enemy tanks zerg, no need for AT mines inside a bio-lab.

EDIT: However, the potential *impact* of an AT mine is much greater, destroying an enemy sunderer can really cripple an attack.
    • Up x 3
  4. supahitecjetfyta

both, no reason to just get one type.
    AP mine the base and AT mine the roads. ill even AP mine the roads sometimes
    dont waste mines by carrying them around with you hoping for something to throw them at, lay them down so they can do their job.

i rekon everyone should cert atleast the first level of AT mines and lay them down anywhere, then we can have actual minefields defending a territory.
    its only 100certs for the chance to get a 12/12 sundy kill and you can lay the mines down and swap classes without them disappearing.
    • Up x 1
  5. ironeddie

Next 100 certs I spend will be on the AT mine then & I'll have a play around with it. Thanks for your input.
  6. Ganjis

When you know the enemy is coming to take an outpost or a satellite base of a large facility and there are not many allies around to defend it, drop a couple of tank mines in front of the vehicle pad, get out of there and wait for a free sunderer kill. It is so funny.
    There are many places that you know tanks will come sooner or later. Drop a couple of AT mines there and wait for the free points.

I prefer using my resources to destroy things that cost the enemy resources. Killing a soldier rarely makes a difference in the long run. With that said, AI mines have their uses when you are solo or there are only a couple of you.
  7. drNovikov

Both. It depends. If I am protecting generators -- AP mines, if I am destroying tanks or sunderers -- AT mines. lmost never use C4 as an engineer.
  8. Selerox

Get both, but get AT mines first. AP mines are really useful, but they are fairly situational. AT mines allow you to mine roads and pull back, or pull off sneak drops on tanks or Sunderers.

AT mines on roads (and AP mines in doorways) can also be really effective early warning devices. It's something I've done in squads before when we're on the defensive: fall back to the next base, head out and AT mine the main route between the base you're now defending and the one you're about to lose, then return and get ready. When the AT mines blow, you know exactly where enemy armour is, and how long you have before they hit you.
    • Up x 3
  9. Vreki

I use both. My default setup has 3 AT mines, because you never know when you encounter a Sunderer. Or just a good mining opportunity

But I also have a loadout with 2 AP mines, which work nicely for protecting generators.
  10. TomoB

Not necessarily.
    I also thought so few times and rigged the road leading to our base just before enemy tank zerg arrived, ran back to base and waited when those wonderful XP would start pouring in. Nothing happened and The Zerg just rolled in. There wasn't any other way in to our base because road was at the bottom of the canyon so... Damn mine guard... damn you to hell.
  11. EvilKoala

Both, and stack them. Flak Armor wont help them now, and can even take down max suits.
  12. jm20

I was going to post this exact thing. People with max flak armor run around thinking they are invincible to AP mines, you should reward them with an AP/AT stack which they will absolutely not survive. If you want to be crafty, place AT mines around spawn rooms in such a fashion they will detonate each other, and have an AP mine be the trigger that will go off after a number of people enter the spawn rooms.

AT mines can also be used to throw from above into a group of enemies, and you can trigger them with a grenade.
  13. FlayvorOfEvil

Get AT mines for your engineer and AP mines for you infiltrator. I guarantee that if you have AT mines, you'll always carry them around because tanks can't be killed by your guns... unless they have a sliver of health left and you grenade launcher them.
  14. Eric Smith

I use both. Lay them down in and around a contested base. AP mines are great for watching your back, like in the lift up to a Tech Plant roof or putting them behind the turret you're jumping into so a cloaker can't hack you out of it. I'll also place them at strategic points in a base we just captured and everybody is leaving; don't know how many kills I've gotten by dropping a couple near the cap point or generator and having some lone wolf try to cap the base alone.

AT mines also have many uses. I lay them down on well used roads *AND* carry them around as Engineer while I'm driving. I don't know how many times I've been shot out of a vehicle, but I manage to bail most of the time and having those mines can be a godsend.
  15. Clutchstep

You should use both though, they don't disappear until they get detonated. So drop some AT mines outside, then reequip and drop some AP mines inside. Then go nuts with some C4. :)

I have both, but prefer AP mines overall, mainly because I prefer base defense. Laying down AP mines to defend cap points and generators is a great way to slow down the incoming force. It's great for stopping infiltrators from sneaking behind you too. They're fairly useless outdoors though, as it is very hard to predict where infantry are going to walk.

AT mines are a bit harder to use IMO because it's still hard to predict where vehicles are going to go. Also, if you lay down AT mines while a base is being contested, odds are some stray tank fire will detonate them before anyone runs over them. Every so often though you'll get lucky and intercept the zerg before it reaches a base and can drop down some mines in front of them. As you may notice in the main forum, they're also great for taking out deployed Sunderers.

Both are fairly situational, just get a sense of when you like to use them and switch it up as needed.
    • Up x 1
  16. xNPCx

I prefer AP mines, they are very nice when trying to defend an objective or protecting a flank. AT mines are nice too but more and more people are using mineguard, which make them a waste of resources.
  17. ironeddie

I must say I do pretty well out of my AP mines. Not yet spent my certs on the AT mines but I get my mag blown up often enough by them so someone's doing well out of it!
  18. Springheel Jack

Why not all? Go to a base with generators, get a Flash. Put one AI mine at a couple of generators. Go to terminal, restock AT mines, go back to same generators, put 1 AT mine with each AI. Go back to terminal, switch to C-4, put C-4 at 3rd generator, and detonate when you see it start to flip.

Solo defend most of the generators by yourself, potentially buying time for reinforcements to show up, or just keep doing it for continuous lols against people who are just trying to scrub points on gen flips.
  19. Purple Pooka

It really depends on your playstyle. For example, I only switch to Engineer for specific situations. When I'm repairing the upper turrets of an Amp Station, the AP mines can be used to instantly kill the 1st enemy who comes up the rising central elevator. The same applies for when I'm using either a wall turret or Anti-Vehicle weapon and don't want to worry about being flanked.

However there are plenty of times when AT mines would be more useful. There are still far too many people who refuse to use Mineguard on their vehicles. Those foolish people are just easy kills for a couple of AT mines.

I am intrigued about the suggestions to mix AP and AT mines. For some reason, I never really thought about that before. It could let you set up a couple of kill points if you paired one of each mine together. That's a lot of flexibility.
  20. Silent255

AP mines simply for the lol's in my book. Heavy indoor fights where everyone is corner humping in the medic circle-jerk....I sprint in and drop a couple on top of them and let the kills flow. And of course, they make for good area denial if you need time to repair/monitor/destroy objectives and, should you be repairing, are completely vulnerable.
    • Up x 1