Artemis vs Ghost vs XM98

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by AceOf5pades, Jan 6, 2013.

1. AceOf5pades

Hi, I'm a bit of a noob, and I really know nothing about these weapons. I have gathered enough of those credit things to purchase one of these, but i am not sure which is best.

I have a few ?'s
    Does bolt action mean it will reload between each shot?
    Which has the least damage degradation typical of vanu weapons?
    Which is the best for pure sniping?
    Which is best for sniping and close quarters combat?

i would also appreciate any feedback from personal use and which you use and why

Thank You :D
    AceOf5ades
  2. areX

You know you can test out these weapons for free ? Just click "Unlock" and then "Try now". You can repeat this when you create a new char how often you want. There is no limit in creating/deleting a new char.
  3. Jester7x

1. Yes it reloads between shots
    2. Sniper rifles
    3. Parallax for bolt action. Ghost is good semi auto but i would go Nyx because i hate sway.
    4. I would say Nyx scout rifle. No sniper rifle is good at close quarters.
  4. RasFW

I personally like the XM98 (cheap option, flashlight is a must) and the Artemis (the supressor makes it literally silent, perfect for stealth missions).
  5. Infinity24k

You can check out the stats yourself here.
    A bolt action is the only sniper rifle that will kill an enemy with one headshot. Semi autos require at least 2 headshots in order to kill an enemy. I am NC but I think the V10 is quite a good one.
  6. Brickwalker

Why is flashlight a must on the XM98?

I use the XM98 for sniping with the 12x scope.Im so comfortable with this rifle that I probably wont bother with the V10 or the Parallax.

I have both the Nyx and Artemis,but have put the Nyx on the shelf as it doesnt really fit my style.Id much rather bring a full auto weapon to a full auto fire fight.Which is why the Artemis is my go to for CQC,nothing like appearing in an enemies face and lighting them up with full auto.
  7. Dubious

Get the Parallax, best gun you ever get for long range sniping
  8. RasFW

Flashlight was a joke. And the way I see it, XM98 = Parallax = V10... They're all OHK headshots. Haven't tried the Nyx yet, but the 20 round clip and full auto just has me sold on the Artemis. DEFINITELY reccomend the supressor though. Its so good.
  9. Rigsta

1. Specifically, you have to de-scope and chamber another round. Reloading is when you change the magazine, or battery in our case.
    2. All VS bolt action rifles have zero damage reduction over range, instead they have bullet drop.
    3. Of the 3 you listed, the XM98. The best long-range VS sniper rifle is the Parallax.
    4. Of the 3 you listed, the Artemis is best for CQ & close range, retaining a little usability up to medium range. the Ghost with 4x optics is excellent for close-/mid-range encounters such as inside base walls or bio-labs.
    I confess I have every inf weapon unlocked apart from the V10, since it's very similar to the Parallax. My 3 infiltrator loadouts are :

CQ
    Primary: Nyx w/ flash suppressor, laser dot, 2x reflex optics or sometimes the HSNV.
    Secondary: Manticore w/ suppressor and laser dot.
    Suit: Grenade bandolier lv1.
    Utility: Prox mines.
    Grenade: EMP (still trying to decide whether I like these things or not)

The Artemis is stronger & easier to use in CQ but the Nyx is more versatile. Both take some getting used to and must be used as hit-and-fade weapons, you'll get outgunned by other classes reguarly if you go toe-to-toe. Laser dot recommended - hipfire is a requirement for effective CQ combat, and their hipfire accuracy is pretty good. Though not nearly as good as say a shotgun or CQ-spec carbine like the VX6-7. Alternatively, a forward grip allows the Artemis to hit more reliably outside CQ/close range.

CLOSE-MID RANGE
    Primary: Ghost w/ 4x optics.
    Suit: Ammo belt, only lv1 though :(
    Grenade: HE (default).

I'd prefer 3.4x zoom but the VS 3.4x sights are horrible. The Ghost retains the 1-headshot-kill ability of all bolt actions and the 1x-4x optics available to it are perfect for an agressive-recon, hit-and-fade playstyle inside bases or bio-labs. Hipfire accuracy is pretty dire but a body shot followed by a couple of pistol shots or a knife will drop someone reasonably fast.

I've actually been using the Ghost in preference to the Artemis & Nyx recently. I only switch to those for guard tower fights now.

LONG RANGE
    Primary: Parallax w/ 8x scope.
    Suit: Ammo belt.
    Grenade: Decoy.

The Parallax is the best VS sniper rifle for long-range work due to its bullet speed and a little extra damage per shot, at the cost of rate of fire & reload speed - neither of which are particularly important for long-range shooting. The XM98 can fill the same role (for 1/10 the cert cost) but its lower bullet speed means you'll need to compensate more for bullet drop, and lead moving targets more.
  10. Marlowe365

WRONG. The only VS thing that has dropoff is the rocket launcher, and even that has very little dropoff. The small rocket dropoff is more annoying, especially becouse it's not a normal dropoff, but neither a straight line.
  11. Innate

Have you ever used a bolt-action sniper rifle? They have bullet drop. Take it to the warpgate and fire some shots at the nearby towers if you don't believe it.
  12. MartianDiscoFish

Ghost is pretty fun to use, a bolt action sniper rifle with a reflex sight :D
    Though it's completely impratical.
  13. Rigsta

I said bullet drop, not dropoff. Why edit the quote to make it look like I said something I didn't? You seem to mean the same thing I did though - the effect of gravity on projectiles aka bullets.

They absolutely do have bullet drop. Trial the XM98, aim at something about 200m distant, preferably at an upwards angle, fire, don't de-scope. It's plain as day. If you're using the Parallax, the scope is zeroed in such a way that you have to compensate less for bullet drop but you still need to aim slightly above the head at ranges of 250m+.

Also: Manners cost nothing. Even on the internet.

EDIT: Final column.

I love that rifle with a 4x scope. I'm really surprised at how useful it's turning out to be.
  14. MyOdessa

Personally, I would wait until after the January patch release, I am sure SOE will change something in weapons we use.
  15. Jex =TE=

LOL does anybody actually own a flashlight? Seems completely pointless
  16. Booface

I'm loving the Ghost when I play as an infiltrator's infiltrator. Put a silencer and a 3.4x sight on it, and it's a good close to mid range weapon. Since it OHKs, you can take people out all day and they never figure out where they're getting hit from. The rate of fire is surprisingly fast. When you need to move or hack something, use the Manticore. With a laser sight, it's better on the move than any of the scout rifles anyway.

Ghost + mines = assassination. I've completely forgotten my Nyx and Artemis. Plus it's only 250 certs.

You *need* to be good at quickscoping though, there's nothing more satisfying than a point-blank quickscope headshot. It's worth a few hours of practice.

But yeah, if you're in a big pitched battle where sneaking around doesn't mean as much, then the Parallax is the way to go.