[Suggestion] Archer damage to infantry.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ximaster, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Ximaster

This weapon should kill infantry in 1 headshot or 2 body shots. Actually u need 2 headshots or 3 body shots and its bolt action,this is a joke. For kill MAXes is good but u would defend versus infantry too,and this defense its impossible with this 2 headshots and reload time between shots.
  2. FateJH

I think two head, three body is a quite acceptable going rate. You won't find another Engineer rifle with such a good STK.
  3. Jac70

The Archer is a tough weapon to balance. It should not really be an anti-infantry weapon at all but it makes no sense that a rifle that can damage a tank and two shot a MAX would not be devastating to a soldier. In BF2142 there was an engineer weapon called the Pilum. This was an anti-material rifle but it fired a massive and slow moving round, it would OHK a troop no matter where it hit but it was not used for that purpose because it was too slow and cumbersome - it was only effective as a reflex weapon in so much as you could kill someone who was really close if you were surprised.

Another approach could be a magnetic explosive round that tracks armour to some degree and explodes when it attaches but will only hit an infantry like a normal ballistic shot.
    • Up x 2
  4. Shatteredstar

Nope. It is ment to be an anti max and mild anti armor tool, not an infantry death machine. Balance wise it would throw things off to make it OHK on infantry for headshots.

Best use I've found outside of max killing duty is with mana turret. Fire rocket, get off turret, put a Archer round into the armor, get on turret again since it has cooled, fire another rocket, repeat. Gives a nice small damage boost.

The archer is also amazing at clearing base turrets from a distance without being super obvious or noticeable and staying semi mobile.
  5. Distortedcolor

Nope, if you want a rifle that can OHK then you have to use the infiltrator. Engineers by themselves also are probably the most versatile.
    • Up x 1
  6. Jubikus

Yeah if it were a 1shot headshot and 2 body shots ide never use infiltrator for sniping the cloak is nice but i can make do without it pretty well and then i can do damage to everything including taking out maxes with ease in addition to unlimited ammo. This weapon is as good as they can make it without indirectly damaging the other classes not all weapons need to be effective at many things niche weapons are nice.
  7. Ronin Oni

It's not intended to be a really effective AI weapon.

It's designed to counter MAXes, and maybe help a little with AV (mostly just Harrasers and ESF's, but it can still plink away at armor. In mass it can be effective, or if you're ignored... I chucnked off 15-20% HP off a lightning with a magazine to the rear)

You're not suppsed to be a sniper. Play infil with BASR if that's what you're looking for.
  8. ColonelChingles

Maybe make it into a single-shot, long-reload weapon? Like the PTRD AT rifle:

[IMG]

Operate bolt, chamber round, lock bolt down, fire, unlock bolt, remove old case, insert new cartridge, repeat.

In that case it would still be less effective against infantry targets due to the extremely low RoF, but would do reasonable damage. Because yes, if you can pierce MBT armor or dent a suit of personal armor, then you should be able to make mincemeat out of infantry.

Of course the same is true of the Basilisk, which can also damage MBTs. I think the 20mm Basilisks should also be a 2HK against infantry as well! :D
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

i think they should give the Archer a Softpoint projectile ammo-type that you can equip in the ammo slot of the Archer. should cost 100 certs to unlock.

basically, equipping Softpoint on the Archer would make it lose the ability to damage armor or harm Maxes. on the other hand, it would be able to one-shot normal infantry via headshot up to 300 meters. it's a perfect tradeoff this way as you lose AV but gain AI effectiveness.

ALTERNATIVELY: take the Archer model, call it Executor, give it to Infiltrator as a new sniper and make it AI-only and ineffective against vehicles/Maxes
  10. Shatteredstar

By that logic though all rockets should auto kill infantry and you get into weird places with directed energy weapons like vanu have.

Heck HE tank shells or most explosives should auto kill infantry since mechanically we aren't ducking for cover or diving, and frag grenades would be way more deadly. Not to mention things like the TR Rams .50 would not just need a headshot to put down an infantry person or the Bighorn, heck the gauss saw would be the most brutal weapon around for killing power if I remember the flavor text right.
    • Up x 2
  11. breeje

no they should make a archer for the infil that only damage infantry
    it's not like the BASR this rifle is better for head shots by my experience, only now it's hard to get infantry kills
  12. Archard

I loved the Pilum. It was a pain to use at first, but felt pretty good once you started landing shots successfully.
  13. ColonelChingles

Yeeeessssss

I mean those all sound like great improvements to me!

The Gauss SAW has the same damage model as the Kobalt, and the Kobalt is 12.7mm.
  14. Shatteredstar

That would be horrible lol this game would become rocket arena with tanks =p

I miss the high TTK that the old fps games had. PS1 did fabulously for a good while with a really slow time to kill overall, as did many FPS sadly the cry of "realism" has made things more and more twitch based which I feel has hurt the focus on design since you can only do so much really to balance damage and cof and other things when your average TTK is mere seconds or almost instant.
    • Up x 1
  15. AxiomInsanity87

Fights would never be won though and the game would be one long stalemate.

I agree but that probably wouldn't work well with ps2's large scale.
  16. Ronin Oni

sigh

he was being sarcastic. THose are all TERRIBLE ideas.

You don't understand game balance and just want to **** infantry though (and aircraft with insane new AA weapons) so you'd never understand that.

You're as unreasonable with tanks as Irridar is with infantry and what's his name scythe pilot is with air.

I swear all of you need to spend more time doing everything PS2 has to offer. You're so blind it's pretty amusing (when not rage inducing for your illogical requests)
  17. Shatteredstar

We had some good sized clusters in PS1 but ya the low TTK is decent for player size now, Although I detest the drive of wanting things to kill people faster. Getting used to the speed of death and many ways it happens (and I've been getting sniped by smgs and carbines it seems like so much lately) I can't imagine many people would stay around if half of the damage levels that people seem to want were implemented, because it would turn the game into "saw you first, you're dead" which for a game doesn't seem like a fun thing when everything is decided by who sees who first.

The closer people try to drag real concepts into this game you run in a myriad of issues. Vanu being the main one because plasma and directed energy would dominate over bullets and shells.
    • Up x 1
  18. BlueSkies

So... you want it to be as effective against infantry as the infil's BASRs and still be able to face melt MAXs?

LOL
  19. ColonelChingles

I'm actually primarily an infantry player. :D

On my main I have 277 hours played as a Medic, which is really not the class I would pick for any sort of vehicle work.

For my Lightning tank I have only 167 hours. Only about 14 hours in a Vanguard.

In other words, I have more experience as a single (non-vehicle operator) infantry class than I do in all armor combined.

So I do totally play as infantry. I am mainly an infantry player. I know exactly what the infantry game is like, and it is absolutely waaay too easy. I (and my entire squad) should be terrified of tanks, and when we know an enemy tank platoon is near we should be screaming into our comms asking for air support or armoured assistance.

But instead when tanks do show up they are largely ignorable. At worst we just head inside, at best we do human wave attacks to kill them with a number of ridiculous and unrealistic options. Tanks are never really a problem when I'm with a decent infantry squad.

Which is why in Server Smash ground vehicles like tanks (and really all vehicles except ESFs) are largely irrelevant. In PS2 you don't need tanks at all. And that's a problem.

In the end, having tanks should be necessary to victory and not having tanks should guarantee defeat. Same applies to air and AA and all that jazz. Only have infantry on your side should always result in disaster (unless of course the enemy is also only deploying infantry).
  20. lothbrook

I really don't see the issue of the engineer being able to 1 HS people, it already has an insanely long refire time which is much much longer than any other bolt action, plus the lack of cloak makes you a sitting duck against any opposing infiltrators. This hesitance to make weapons lethal against infantry is killing the game and driving large portions away.