Apr. 28, 2023 - PTS Update (Early Notes)

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by RPG_Wrel, Apr 24, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redgroupclan

The objective of the construction update is to make construction better, yes? The update is making construction worse off than before the update started.

- The new buildings are hard to place because there isn't a lot of flat, relevant, and constructible land in the game.

- The new module system is tedious to place and not open to creativity because structures have module limitations. Only 3 structures even allow skyshields, and on one of those structures the shield is so high it doesn't even really cover anything. Some structures don't even allow modules. The system is convoluted.

- It isn't always easy to tell when modules are being sabotaged.

- Automated defenses are being removed with nothing being added to supplant the void. Previously, builders had issue with stalker infiltrators sneaking into a base and using an explosive crossbow or AV knife to destroy any necessary modules in the way of them destroying the silo, which only takes a couple minutes. Without automated defenses, these players don't even have to play as infiltrator anymore. They can walk in as a heavy to put up more of a fight and have access to explosives, so now solo base destroyers are more emboldened than ever to destroy your base for funsies when they see you leave.

- Solo building or small group building anything besides super barebone bases is effectively dead because bases have to have someone standing guard over them at all times now. No one is going to stand there doing nothing. Construction is supposed to be something that adds a benefit to our play session, not something that entirely takes it over. We still want to play the rest of the game.

- I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have no shields than 2-way shields on anything but the Sunderer garage. 2-way shields are quite useless for defensive fortifications.

- Still no snapping or any real changes to the placement system (like clipping tolerance or foundations) despite it being a highly requested feature.

- I know this is still a WIP, but please tell me the current UI is not indicative of the future in that we're only going to get a single darklight lamppost.

I tested out the update when it dropped on the test server. There were a lot of people talking to each other in chat and it was a constant deluge of everyone expressing their dissatisfaction as they learned every change that was being made. I don't know a lot of builders who are happy with anything in this update besides the addition of interior play spaces. The module system alone is discouraging me from building because it's so much tedious busywork, and that's before I get into the issue that there's a decent chance if I leave my base, it will die.

At the very least, I'd suggest a couple things.

- Change repair modules to how they used to work. If a structure is affected by them, that structure is invincible until the module is deactivated.

- Alternatively to the above suggestion, add a damage threshold system where a structure cannot start ACTUALLY taking damage until it has received a certain amount of damage within a short time. That damage requirement would be higher than what any single player can dish out in that time. This could be tied to structures individually or to the base as a whole, as if the whole base has a "secret" collective HP.

- Make the new recon array a default unlocked item since the only line of defense your base has now is a warning telling you to redeploy.

- Make the module system more uniform and easier to place. Perhaps make the module slots interactable as a module buy terminal?

This update was supposed to overhaul construction and make it better for everyone to use and play in. I was excited for it. However, all it has really done is add a few building to play in while stripping away a lot more as retribution. There are no REAL changes to a lot of complaints that builders had, as if very little of the feedback in the past 7 years has been heard. All in all, between construction being made worse and Mirror Bay being made worse, this update needs a LOT of work to turn it around. Which makes me afraid, because the update that hits live is usually not too drastically different from what is on PTS.
  2. Mithril Community Manager

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.