Anyone remember the Phoenix from PS1?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ravenwolf Foxtrack, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Ravenwolf Foxtrack

Being a mainly NC player, both PS2 and PS1, I can't help but feel a longing for the old Phoenix from PS1. When we got the dumb fire mode, it became a more applicable ESRL tha could contend with the other ESRL's. three shots could down a max, it had a longer travel time, and didn't OHK infantry that were full armor and health. Also you could detonate the rocket f you missed or ere under attack. But you still had to worry about being killed while using the camera mode. Still couldn't lock on and spam like the striker or straight line shot quickly like the Lancer. And you couldn't always hit aircraft as easily like the other ESRL could. So it had more punch to it against armor, but that was the trade off for not being able to lock on or as quickly hit a target.

In PS2, the striker is lolspam rockets that can devastate any vehicle and do some good damage, the Lancer is broken (I doubt anyone will say otherwise) and the Phoenix is viewed as OP and needs to be nerfed with all the hate in the world. Now, I agree that OHK infantry needs to be fixed and lowered. I'm not arguing that, but if you are being hit with a swarm of phoenix rockets that is destroying armor, then that is what's going to happen. This should have been expected because it is a new weapon with lots of potential. However, the main weakness is still that you are operating the rocket and completely vulnerable to enemy weapon fire. I snuck up on a NC phoenix user, waited till they fired the weapon, then head shot them point blank. I didn't stay far away and cry, I didn't try to shoot them with them behind cover from over 300m away. I found a way to flank them and get the upper hand.

Another disadvantage to the phoenix is that you can not detonate the rocket if you miss. I was testing out the phoenix in the VR and was trying to hit reavers that others were flying as practice. out of the hundred or so shots I fired, I got about 2 hits at best. Majority I missed as the craft moved and I couldn't steer the rocket as fast as they moved. This is after the slowing of the projectile patch. Yes, phoenix missiles can basically one hit kill an ESF, but you need to be lucky enough to actually hit the damn thing. Stupid flyers who don't move deserve to be shot down anyways.

Something else I was able to do while fighting against NC was to be able to avoid phoenix fire and being hit. I can see when the thing is fired and know how to dodge them, after having much practice learning how to charge enemy fighters over open ground while they are shooting at me and avoiding the shots. Learn how to avoid being shot, don't stay still, and you won't be hit. If you can avoid sniper fire, you can avoid phoenix rockets.

And as a final note. If you know where the phoenix fire is coming from, use a lib or fast paced ESF with spam rockets to take the NC out that are behind cover. All you need to do is change tactics, adapt, and you will over come.
  2. Oreo202

You can eject from the phoenix by pressing your aircraft eject key.
  3. Ravenwolf Foxtrack

this I did not know! Thanks for the info.
  4. Teegeeack

You started reasonably. Ended up being just another NC Phoenix-apologist. No thanks.