Anyone else feeling cheated by the grenade launcher?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by eightfoldSTYER, Dec 16, 2012.

1. eightfoldSTYER

Take TR for instance, save 500C for a Trac-5 s, then another 100C for the grenade launcher; meaning the player would think it is safe to assume that after the lengthy amount of time invested the attachment should be working properly. Which, as outlined by a lot of other posters on this forum it actually does not end up working so well.

It doesn't refill from ammo properly, and seems to bind itself to the Trac-5 s which makes it impossible to switch by hitting the "1" key. You have to scroll to reselect the primary weapon, and even then it can be a bit finicky. Anyone else who has used it can testify to how often it gets you killed. And those are not the only issues.

After bug reporting this problem several times with no results I'm am going to stay away the game for a while until you guys find some time to patch this up, there is something to be said about putting time in and getting something out. And what we got out was an attachment that seems to still be in an alpha phase.

Hope to see a fix soon which does not involve voodoo dancing or any other contrivances.
    • Up x 4
  2. HappyZaps

Personally I don't think it's fair that I can refill my pro-tube for free from an ammo pack. It should just deduct from the grenade pool; problem solved.

That aside, yes, it is buggy. My biggest problem with it is that sometimes there's no detonation. No idea where the grenade actually went; perhaps it fell into a wormhole.
    • Up x 1
  3. undeadsapir

heres my 2cents of knowledge of the bugs on this thing:
    1) doesnt refill+no hit grenade: those two are the same bug, and they come together, when i roll engineer alot of the times i know when to stop shooting my nades since they wont work, the detection is simple, once the nade launcher stop refilling, any ammo you still have on it will not work, so save your trouble and switch to the main gun.
    2)all weapons not working: this is a very rare one, but ive seen it's been told the grenade launcher is responsible for it, every not so often ( like once a day or two) your guns will suddenly not damage anyone antil you die.

despite those 2 drawback bugs, the nade launcher is still amazing when it works, and unlike what people say, i get it to work pretty often.
    best scenario to use it: being spawn camped in some facility, you just nade them to death.... they wanna farm kills on you, why dont you do the same ? :) ive got 33-3 K/D in vanu archives that way, the 3 D's were TK's.
    this might be a "N00bTube" but i find it more of a Anti FarmMe Tube. if someone wants to farm me ill give them a taste of their medicine.

overall id say this upgrade is worth it. heck, being near a weapon terminal/deployed sundy allows you to just resupply when the bug happens and lets you reset it to make the launcher work again
  4. ThrottleFox

Well worth it, one hit kills every soldier, except a HA with his shield up, a few more bullets and hes down.
    I prefer to use it at mid range to flush out campers and its great against infiltrators hiding in corners that you can see but cant quite hit with the main gun.
    As undeadsapir said, its great for Anti FarmMe crap, firing one out a door and killing 1 or 2 enemies is great, watching the whole pack scramble after a nade round lands and get mowed down in the gun fire is even better
  5. 4GibMe

Regarding the comment about limiting the Nade Launcher ammo and making it use your regular nade stock. NO FLIPPING WAY.
    The nades that come out of the Nade Launcher are a fraction of the splash damage of the regular nades, you pretty much have to have a direct hit for them to do much of anything. There is no way I should have to pay full price for a half of a nade.

Also, if this is the case, then the same should go for ALL of the rocket launchers. If there is any class that spams explosives, it's these guys. Not that I'm complaining, It's these guys and my ammo packs that get rid of tank and sunder problems. Also, having a terminal or a Sunder close at hand, I have tried spamming with it. Because of it's requirement for a direct hit, it really isn't all that effective, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Regarding it's balance for impact, I think it's just about right. It gets the job done, but it isn't over kill, like some light air craft I know of.
    • Up x 1
  6. Izriul

The cost of the weapon is irrelevant. The price of the attachment is 100 certs. That is ALL that should be accounted for it. 100 certs for the UGL is WELL worth it.

If you're spending certs on guns, that's your own fault. You should be paying SC for them. If you can't afford SC, then you're not supporting the development team and 500 is MORE than fine. It's half the price of most guns, and thus, SHOULD take a long time to gather (though 500 can be easily done in a short amount of time, especially with a boost...wait, no boost either? So, you want a company to develop a game for you, pay nothing, and have everything? Just no. Not fair at all for those willing to support)

Yes, UGL is slightly (a lot) buggy, but no one really knows if it's MEANT to restocked by ammo pouch, so it might even be a "good" bug.

There are other annoying bugs but PS2 is a newly released MMO, these will eventually be looked at, and find me one MMO, one single one, that has been bug free on release. Even 10 year old MMOs have plenty of bugs.

What I got from this thread is a player, who's not paid anything (Sounds like it, I don't know anyone who'd buy a gun with certs if they've paid for SC), is threatening to quit because there's a bug on an attachment to a weapon.
  7. ME-tan

The last patch completely broke it for me. Instead of having two working grenades and then all blanks after that, all my grenades do zero damage now.
  8. AncientW

Sooner or later it'll get fixed.
  9. Pockets

Considering we don't need yet more grenade spam, I'm glad they don't refill from ammo packs.
  10. Nulgaoh

But they do.
  11. eightfoldSTYER

Listen guy, I was trying to come at this topic from the lowest common denominator. A lot of people, sadly, aren't going to purchase the weapons though the store. It is a free to play game after all. So if we're going to talk about acquiring the weapons, you can't simply say "Who is going to waste all their time! Just buy it!" You have to approach it starting from the certs and the time it takes to get them.

I wanted to point out that looking at it from the time to gain certs exclusively (without boosters, which I again agree players should buy to support the developers.) The attachment shouldn't have these strange bugs. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe this is a really odd problem that they have been trying to fix and can't. But I'm sure you would agree that customization of weapons and progression is a really big part of the experience. And it sucks that some of these things aren't working properly. I wasn't threatening to quit forever, actually what I exactly said was I'd stay away for a while until it's fixed. And I stand by that.

Since you want to address me personally (Also, by the way I never said I used my certs to unlock MY weapon), I love this game and I do support it. I have no complaints with the SOE store, and if this game had a retail value of 60$ I would buy it without question. You're dead wrong for singling me out and flaming me when you have no idea how much I have spent, or will continue to spend on the game. I see what you’re saying though, if someone spends nothing then they shouldn't expect a perfect product. And I respect that.

On to the rest of what you said, yeah there are a lot of another annoying bugs, some much more important than this one. That’s for sure. And yeah, from what I can tell without any glitching the grenade launcher is pretty powerful in its current state. Maybe it should need to be refilled with infantry resources instead of the ammo pack. To shed some more light on why I said I'm staying away for a while, my favourite part of the game thus far has been trying to get my engineer as good as I can get him. And when I tried out the nade launcher it really ended up frustrating me (as I explained in the first post) so I've turned to playing other titles until it gets a fix. Trust me, I'm no scrub, I know how buggy MMOs can be. But this is an FPS too. There's a lot of competition around, tons of games are getting released. So small problems like these aren't totally meaningless. Although, maybe it didn't warrant a post here.

Really, I came here to ask of others opinion on the subject. And to clarify maybe even in hope that another post on the matter would bump up its priority to the devs. But again, this isn’t the biggest deal, and it surely will be fixed. Hopefully next time you won't be so apprehensive about the meaning of my post. Thanks for your two cents though.
  12. Rune Scorpio

Underslung nade spam is the same reason they made grenades only stock from terminals. They don't want this game to turn into BF3 metro meatgrinder with 50-100 people spamming nades at a biolab door. Its already bad enough when an outfit does it with heavies but that can at least be dodged/countered and isnt perfect on infantry. The nade launcher is excellent on infantry and exactly why it shouldnt reload from an ammo pack. It has more drop and can be used from behind cover.
  13. Xebov

I hope they fix the Bugs soon.

I cant agree with that. Sure the GL is good agaionst infantry and its a realy nice counter for large numbers of infantry, like Aircraft and Vehicles are (and Heavys with there rockets and MAXes with there anti tank gun). It can shoot a bit around corners and over cover if you get the right angle or have a higher position. But on the other side of the table the grenades only have a tiny splash so you need to hit your target and you have a low rof. Also you seem to need a minimum distance to your target as ive been never able to kill players with GL that were only 2 or 3m away. With all the (most of the tiome larger) Splash from Armored, Aircraft and Heavys/MAX on the field i dont see a point why GL should not ressuply from Packs.
    • Up x 1
  14. colt .45 killer

Hmm thats a good idea, make the launchable grenades a infantry cred purchased item. Would cut down on their usage even if they were a bit cheaper than a regular grenade.
  15. Frosty The Pyro

just as a note, if you hit the switch weapon mode button (default B) while the understlung grenade launcher is selected, it will go right to your primary gun, I use this to circumvent the cant select it with the "1" key bug.
  16. Adekan

I love the thing, in spite of its bugs. I've gotten some massive kill rolls with it during tight quarters defense, got I think 20 certs in one shot once.

The main bug that affects being able to reload seems to be caused by the grenade launcher becoming confused with the main gun, as I have noticed that when the UGL no longer works I either usually have an increased ammo cap to 152(2 over actual max, coincidentally the same amount the UGL holds) or down to 148, along with no longer being able to swap to my main weapon without going to another one first.

I'm of the mind that if they either added the UGL to the fire mode button (b), the problem would solve itself. Adding it to the fire mode button would solve the problem of UGL spam pretty easily, because it's not easy to switch back to the correct mode quickly so you would have to weigh the possibility of someone running within minimum range when considering using it. They should also add in a minimum effective range for the UGL ( seems to be partially in place anyway, if I fire at someone ~15 feet away the grenade will usually do nothing, bugged UGL or not. )
  17. Bearcat

I just bought the UGL, and as much as I like it, I don't think it should reload from ammo packs. Neverending grenade spam is too powerful for a 100 cert attachment.
  18. VSEngiee

Reloading from ammo pack is a slight bug (imo)... the main bug is that the GL doesn't show up on the weapon. And no matter how many time you try reloading to the weapon with the GL cert, it doesnt show up.
  19. Soulstitchmmo

First of all, the GL is amazing. It works most of the time, and it is mostly a one shot kill when you connect. Now I've used it before to spawn camp when it was reloading properly, but I've seen spawns get camped by virtually every class. It should reload from Ammo Packs. That's just a given.

Now when it doesn't work it sucks, like last night me direct hitting twice onto a Light Infantry, then dieing to that infantry and seeing barely 2 bubbles of shield gone... that sucks but for the most part it works beautifully.
  20. VSEngiee

- goto a weapon terminal
    - switch out your GL weapon to another weapon
    - Hit Deploy
    - switch back to the GL weapon