Any word on them giving this game a point?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Arsinek, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Arsinek

So are they ever going to add a point to this game? The combat is nice but fighting with no objective is really boring.
  2. FateJH

What is worthy of being considered an objective to you?
    • Up x 5
  3. Morpholine

Some people will never be happy unless there's a win/loss recap splash screen, followed by waiting for the next map to load.
    • Up x 14
  4. Shockwave44

If that's the extent of your creativity. However I'm sure capping and defending bases for the next 3 years over and over again is much more exciting for you...
    • Up x 7
  5. Shockwave44

We can't read the lore for you. If you are unable come up with something after that, then stick to accounting.
  6. PurpleOtter

This game has lots of points, we pretty much spend all our time trying to capture them....
    • Up x 16
  7. isaidhi3

every game is pointless if you're going to look at it like that...
    • Up x 10
  8. Hasteras

if winning individual battles and alerts isn't enough for you, then I don't see why any other type of victory would be more meaningful.
    • Up x 1
  9. doombro

10. Raital

There already is a point to this game. To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

You log on, and crush your enemies. You do this as many times as needed to see them driven before you (ragequit). Then you log onto Forumside to listen to and taste the wailing tears of the women (whom may or may not be the ragequitters).

What other point is there to life, video games or no?
    • Up x 10
  11. Flapatax

Hopefully continent locking within the next two quarters. The game is essentially a glorified TDM at the moment. Maybe a revamped resource system would help in the interim, though.
  12. uhlan

I had hoped for a point as well.

Something immersive and gritty I guess. The factions fully developed with meaning to the ceaseless grind. Some of this was reflected in the very early artwork and there are ideas still floating around with the devs that may still come to pass to further depth.

What we have now though, is something of a cartoon. Guns that sound like toys, vehicles that look like toys, costumed soldiers pretending to be super-heroes. Fighting for Red, Blue or Purple teams.

Tank zergs, air zergs, bases packed together and the former moving from one siege to another... rinse and repeat.

The epic world grows smaller with every patch as the lack of depth causes the player base to devolve to small map, small team combat and stat crunching to fill the void. Reducing the promise of PS2 to that of every other FPS in already in existence.

Perhaps the devs realize it can't be done and are happy with the distillation of the player base to those that favor such things?

After more than a year I'm still here and I still put my faith in the devs. It's a F2P game after all and things are done at a different pace under different parameters.

I am still hopeful that things will change for the better.

Just my point of view of course.
    • Up x 1
  13. gigastar

There is a point to be added. Its just getting pushed back by oh so much crap, O:FMG being foremost among the reasons.

See my sig.
  14. Syrathin

Thought like every other TDM combat was the objective, Anything else is just a side dish to support the main course. And if you're looking for side dishes may I recommend the fried rice.
  15. Ryme

So we're getting gore effects? Meh.
  16. MajiinBuu

56 days and not a shred of boredom here ;)
  17. Rogueghost

Tell me what is the point of any game?
    Because I don't think there is one, games in general don't have points, it doesn't matter what type of game either, fps, rts, tabletop, you either win or lose, and that's about it, no impact and no point.

People play games to kill time and relax, or that's what they should be doing, people who waste their time trying to find a point where there is none should really be doing something more productive, like figuring out a way to solve the energy crisis, or figuring out how to colonize mars.

Not to say that I'm happy with planetside 2 in its current state, because I'm not, but asking if this game will have a point, or any game, is pointless, because no game has ever had a point.
  18. SpaceKing

This game has been simplified and boiled down into Battlefield: Planetside
  19. Zagnaut

Planetside is an MMOFPS, the point is open world pvp. If you think there's no point, then perhaps your expectations are misaligned with the genre you're playing.
  20. Crackulous

Plenty of sharp corners in this game, my mag-cutter is one of them.
    • Up x 1