Any tactics against a G20 Vulcan-H Harasser?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by grazr, Oct 15, 2013.

1. makrome

Yes, that's the way it works .. in theory .. but you know how it works in practice .. you, surrounded by all your buddies, but the person who will be shot at is you, always.
    Ofc you're watching the minimap while shooting at something in front of you and focus your attention on the surroundings but, as mentioned before, is theory - in practice you can't aim and watch map at the same time while clearly identifying one of the red dots, far far away heading towards the area you're fighting at.
    The infinite kinds of scenarios that might occur will of course involve a good bunch of exploding harassers, i gave just an example of what happened shortly ago and i think you know that similar things happen all around the frontline the whole time and it's just how it can feel on the receiving end.

Oh, and on a totally unrelated note - saying that a 1/2 (1/12) vehicle has to be weaker than a 2/3 harasser have it slightly wrong - all that matters are hits with a weapon - a 2/3 buggy has 1 gun, the 1/2 (1/12) vehicle has 1 gun, sounds for me that the outcome of a duel between those should have a 50/50 result.
  2. MykeMichail

NC probably has the worst arsenal for taking on harassers.

MAX weaponry:

Falcons - painfully slow
    Ravens - Also painfully slow, just guided

Infantry weaponry:

Phoenix - painfully slow, easily outmanuvered by a harasser, have to guide it yourself meaning low effective DPS

Vehicle weaponry:

Enforcer - lower DPS in close range than Vulcan, slow rate of fire and slow projectile make these easy to avoid at longer ranges and generally they will be able to get behind cover and repair before you can do significant damage.

Enforcer-H - lower DPS again, same slow rate of fire and projectile speed. Chasing down a Vulcan harasser is also extremely risky as if they turn and get in close with you, you're screwed.

Titan variants - Painfully slow reload times. Only good thing is their projectile speed.

Vortek Rotary - Only a 33 round magazine, miss a couple of shots and you will need multiple reloads. Also a slow projectile
    Breaker Rockets - Slow projectile, not great damage per hit (as opposed to Scythes which have a slow projectile too but at least get 2 hits for one.

Compare TR:

MAX weaponry:

Fractures - extremely fast projectile, large magazine

Infantry weaponry:

Striker - Strikers guidance is equivalent to a Annihilators. Pretty much can't miss unless your target breaks lock.

Vehicle weaponry:

Vulcan - easy to use, high rate of fire, allows you to stream bullets into your target
    Prowler main gun - deploy for super fast projectiles making harassers easy to hit

VS are probably even easier again with Vortex/Lancer's and Sauron.

IMO they need to increase the speed of dumbfire rockets.

They were fine when the fastest thing on the battlefield was a Sunderer, because a sunderer is huge. But now we have a vehicle that moves at 100 km/h and is barely larger than a Lightning.
    • Up x 2
  3. Slandebande

Well it doesn't happen very often to me at least. Depends on the kinds of fights you seek out I guess.

And the whole "what should be more powerful" is a whole other discussion, that would kill this thread if started here. Same with the Lightning - Harasser engagements and so on. Many divided opinions on the subject.

Everyone has access to the Halberd, a brilliant anti-Vulcan weapon if used correctly and played to its strengths. Other strong counters are Sundies manned with dual Basilisks/Walkers/Kobalt (Yes, the Kobalt actually does competitive DPS against a Harasser, thanks to my cousin for testing it). Liberators also melt any Harasser given the opportunity (doesn't happen that often).
  4. Flying Mug

Sorry, but coming from the other side, a lone peak and shoot Halberd is just not as dangerous as a lone Vulcan-H. Except to a Sunderer I guess. If they don't close, I have time to hide in cover/repair or even allow NAR to kick in. If they do close they're essentially just trying to hit trade and even my 1/2 HEAT Magrider has the TTK edge in that fight.

The Vulcan-H on the other hand has the damage to kill me through my front armor and is already at close range. Even against my 2/2 Halberd Mag, it does a lot of damage through my front armor in the time it takes to reload and aim. Assuming my Halberd gunner hits him twice too. Enough that I have to retreat and repair if I'm not running NAR.
  5. MajiinBuu

It took an AP round (about 30% of my life) and the other 70% was from a vulcan. It took about a second. They were behind me.
  6. MajiinBuu

A good way to hurt a harasser is to ram it with a sunderer. A good ram will take out about a fifth or more of it's life, hit it from the side and you might flip it.
  7. Kaon1311

Again i understand where your coming from, i cant watch the mini map all the time, esp while focusing on whats ahead. But thats what a harasser driver is waiting for, an ambush situation. Thats where most of you die, not going toe to toe with the harasser, but the harasser waiting and fighting you on his terms. If the Harasser goes head on and he wins, he just had a higher hit rate. Thats not him being OP, he was better and there is always someone out there better than us.

There isnt realy a counter to that i guess, and its not just the Vulcan Harasser. At least the Vulcan has to get in close and be a dot on your minimap, where the others can sit back and ambush you while your preoccupied. Just hope your squad mates are on the ball :(

Yes the Harasser can zip in and out of cover and heal on the move. Get a mic and when you see the harasser healing, either jump out yourself and patch up your tank a bit while the harsser is healing, or tell your gunner to, whoever is the better shot, stay in and keep shooting or maybe even both jump out :p The harasser cant instantly start healing, and when the guy healing jumps back in, again its not instantly on target and shooting you.

More than 1 harasser on you...yeah your dead, but would you also be dead if those 4 guys were in 2 tanks?

Best thing maybe though is to try out whats killing you, see its weaknesses and exploit them?
  8. Earthman

Fight at longer range. Vulcans have a wide shot group and the bullets get limp at a certain range.
  9. Slandebande

Feel free to test the TTK of a MBT with a Vulcan-H firing to the rear. It is not 1 second.

Well a Halberd won't engage you from the front, it will try to sneak up to your side most often, as the rear can be tricky. It will then engage from afar, utilizing cover between reloads to move closer and closer, not giving you much chance to repair. A Halberd Harasser won't kill a 2/2 MBT if they aren't engaged, but neither will a Vulcan-H (assuming equal skill levels). Against a 1/2 MBT, the Harasser is dependent at least getting the first shot, preferably also the 2nd shot fired before you fire your first, giving it an advantage. If it fails horribly itself, it darts away with no chance for you to kill it. If however you miss a shot or two it can then fully commit for the kill. The Vulcan is essentially trading DPS for making it easier for you as well to land hits on it, and cut it off or even chase it. A 1/2 MBT will always have it rough against any Harasser AV load-out, and I would prefer the versatility of the Halberd any day.
  10. Divinorium

Harrassers is the fastest ground vehicle in the game, meaning if he wants he WILL close in.

Your point?

Just in case it wasn't clear. If you are keeping "the long range" isn't because you are good, It's just because the harrasser doesn't want to come close.
    • Up x 1
  11. dstock

I have some greener grass I'd like to sell, any takers?

Also, when were Sundies faster than Lightnings?
  12. TheBlindFreak

C4 doesn't do directional damage.
  13. Earthman

My point is to try firing at long range. There are often slopes, obstructions, cliffsides.

If you want to stamp in circles until someone gives you icecream, by all means.
  14. Divinorium

Isn't a situation you have control over. Is the same as saying "to avoid strikers don't be locked by it".

Isn't something you have a actual control over, so isn't a measure. And don't even need to say that. If a harrasser is keeping distance from you is because he is doing something else, like killing your allied sund.

Standing still and hoping to the harraser go away is not how it works. In general you don't stop the harrasser because you want the certs, at least i don't, is because he is somewhat inflicting damage to your team.

But of courses the counter to TR is when TR let you alone right?

PS: AS NC i say it's the counter to a Harrasser is the opposite. Go close, so close you hit him and make it stop. You may lose your tank but he will be taken out of the battle by your allies.

Not a true counter but it's the best way so far.
    • Up x 1
  15. ViXeN

Try to c4 or blast them with a rocket and hope that the harasser is already damaged enough to blow up. Other than that, try to run.... :eek:
  16. Mastorass

Its funny ppl complaining for a harasser and always for nerfing TR. First of all, every faction can use one. Second a Vulcan harasser isn't that hard to go down . It takes more risk for bigger reward, its more exposed than the typical halberd combo so adapt and.. kill it! Personal speaking Vulcan harasser is my weapon of choice since prowler is too weak for advanced gameplay, weak and vulnerable against esf's since it cant use shield or strafe fast like a vanguard or magrider. Don't forget its a 2 people vehicle. If you want to qq on forums do it for the ultimate ps2 op machine that called esf's. Check leaderboards and u ll see dedicated esf drivers mostly on top. One(1) man low cost vehicle rules mbt's, liberators, infantry and everything. But no, forget what I said about esf's, Its pathetic to complain on forums.. now I am off jumping back to harasser gunner seat. Gl hf
  17. Archlyte

Yeah the lock-on NC launcher (Crow) is useless against harassers unless they are basically standing still and not paying attention.
  18. Divinorium

Dude you realize you said that a vehicle with one gun 2/2 is more powerful then a vehicle with 2 guns 2/2? And you truly don't see a problem on that?
    • Up x 1
  19. makrome

Yes, feel free to make a NC char, watch from indar excavation how a handful of vulcarassers pour out from quartz ridge shredding a good portion of what was moving towards quartz ridge.;)
    • Up x 1
  20. Mastorass

Sure mate. I do understand that. Fix Prowler! thanx for pointing it :)