[Suggestion] Any dev care to explain why bases are so small?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Sep 21, 2014.

1. NinjaTurtle

The game is designed for platoons of people. A single platoon is 48 people. That is 96 people if you have 2 platoon fighting each other.

Why then are there so many bases suited to only 12-24 battles at most, these bases would work in other games but here they are very poor.

There are too many small bases that completely suck for large scale battles. At the bare minimum every base should be the size of a tech plant to support the size of battle the game is intended to have

Who actually thought it good game design to have 96+ people sitting around 2 or 3 buildings accompanied by a group of 30+ vehicles camping a single spawn

What I suggest:
    - For the current continents - Remove small bases from the lattice and have them act as forward spawn points places of tactical importance that can be directly bypassed.

- For future continents, less bases but bigger. I'm thinking 3x that of a tech plant ideally but as mentioned previous at least the size of one

- More capture points. One cap point is too few, it focuses the fight too much into one room a large meat grinder that is no fun. All you get is spam of grenades, c4, bullets etc etc Spread the fight out over a larger area
    • Up x 4
  2. TheMish

Yeah it would be nice to have less bases, and more times where two armies will run into each other, and slug it out for hours before either one gets any closer to reaching the other's base.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vaphell

i can suggest a possible answer - imo it's a consequence of the unoptimized, atrocious performance at the release.
    If the engine crapped its pants hard any time there were many people on screen, the obvious, "easy" solution to the hardcore performance hit would be to encourage people to spread evenly along the frontline in a big number of small independent skirmishes. For that you need lots of points of interest hosting them. Notice how bases are on avg every 300m, which is the rendering range. Unfortunately steamrolling blobs are a winning strategy so the plan didn't pan out, but we still have the small numerous bases as a leftover.

Why hossin is packed wall to wall with bases i can't answer. Maybe the devs felt that the small map size means that 20 bases tops would got old fast and packed more for the change of scenery?

I wonder if it's possible to backport the support for larger maps from h1z1 forgelight, iirc 128km x 128km (vs 8km x 8km in PS2). That would be awesome and would allow for more realistic base sizes and distances.
    • Up x 2
  4. TungstenCarbide

There has been so many threads in the previous year regarding a flaw in the current lattice setup where zergs are funneled through small base after small base and so on. But there are always these vocal majority of idiots who insists there is nothing wrong with the current lattice setup. There has been tons and tons of good ideas and suggestions on how to change the current lattice setup but nothing has been done and nothing will be done and all these kinds of threads will just be falling on deaf ears. Just give it up man. Learn to love the current lattice coz that's just how its going to be and it will never be changed.