Anti-Vehicle Turrets and You, an in-depth guide for getting the most out of your rocket dispenser.

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Wrel, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Wrel Developer

Hey there. A while ago I posted a rant/preview on the Engineer's new vehicle turret. This isn't that. In fact, it's an in-depth guide for getting the most out of the Anti-Vehicle Turret. It's a bit lengthy, but I feel like there is some extremely valuable information inside for not only new players, but those interested in purchasing an AV turret, as well as more advanced players.

Let me know what you think!
    • Up x 11
  2. SgtScum

Excellent review and touches on many points that I'm sure will be used as proof the turret is op.

But in this case its not the turret thats op its the operator as its competely skill based on what you can do with it.

Besides it will get a fairly large nerf when they add in the shield graphic as thats what the mystery oversided hitbox really is.

Then you will shine like a beacon on those sniper spots like a normal ai turret would.

Particularly liked when you stole the poor infiltrators xp but otoh it can be handy to spawn vehicles and do class switches inside a hostile base when there is no deployed sunderer around. ;)

But untill it gets nerfed lets all enjoy it whilst it lasts.
  3. Nintyuk

For such a big addition there wasn't much fanfare for It's addition. I don't get a chance to play for a week or two and they add something I've wanted since beta without any obvious mention.
    • Up x 1
  4. Frosty The Pyro

My calculations, based on the hits to kill ground vehicels from different armor angles put the damage per shot at 2200 without having to deal with any special resitances. Though that was based purely on a shots to kill basis, to know for sure (as well as being able to deduce if there are special resitances) you would need to hit a vehicle, and look a the vehicles health, then compare tha to a hit with a known value (such as a stock rocker launcher or a tank canon).

As a note a stock rocket launcher (1700 damage) takes 6 shots to kill a MBT from the front (8888 effective health), 5 from side/top (4000 effective health), and 2 (3333 effective health) from rear. also 6 shots to any armor side that has been upgraded with the defence cert (10,000 effective health). Vans are a bit tougher, taking 7 from the front (10,666 effective health) and 6 from the side (8888 effective health), 8 to the front if upgraded (12,307 effective health). Not sure how the sides on the van do when upgraded though but i think its 7 (11,428 effective health). Sunderes takes 6 shots of a stock rocket launcher, they have 8636 effective health (sans blockade armor) from any angle.
  5. Xocolatl

I'll have to drop by to watch this later.
    Anyway, I find the thing to be slightly lacking. It does hit for a decent damage, and an excellent addition to an army. But like everything else that requires teamwork on my server, Briggs--it aint gonna happen. The only kill I have ever seen from AV Turret is on me, when PS2 crashes--that is, assuming I did die. I have no idea if your character gets logged out or how long they stay after a crash.
  6. SgtScum

By all means please watch the vid. He does a very good job of showing just how versatile it is if you understand the turrets mechanics.

Its not the turret for every situation but when one comes up you will be grinning from ear to ear as you collect kills left and right.
  7. JudgeDreddy

I put one on Vanu research and was killing infantry, tanks and sundys behind hills for a while, just gotta keep switching positions. Damn this thing is fun. I killed 4 snipers in a row[it probably didn't show up for them, but... oh well]. It's easy to get discouraged though getting blown up from tanks looking out for you several times in a row, but as long as you remember you are expendable you will destroy them.
  8. Xebov

Your Video is realy nice, good work. I love my Turret, i mainly use it at long range and half of the time i run out of targets befor i get killed because most tank drivers dont pay much attention.
  9. Fiatsu

Another superb vid, i decided to fully cert into my engineer from this vid.
    Time to Blow **** up!
  10. rudirudi123

how can you aim so well ? my crosshair moves only in 5px steps
    long distance shots impossible !
    What screenresolution are you using and what kind of mouse ?
  11. Trebb

Not trying to sound mean, but the main thing he mentions early on is that most gaming mice have a button you can press to make it go so sloooow you can move one pixel at a time. DO IT NOW he says ;) Im using some random logitech mouse and have mine set to Mouse3 button.

That said I still kinda suck at this weapon, and miss more often than not. I hope that with enough practice I'll get decent with it. It eventually paid off with my cheesy Grenade Launcher as I've gotten silly good at it (I'm addicted!), so time will tell.
  12. Blackinvictus

Great Vid! Definitely learned a thing or two..

I have had good and bad days with this thing. Now that they are becoming more common I have to be more careful. Was fun for the first few days when tanks didnt know what the hell it was and drove right past it getting owned from behind when I jumped out of hiding lol

Still hard to find a place to deploy effectively and not be sniper bait though, seems like they have figured out all the good spots lately. Now I last long enough to hit once before a bullet in the head if I am lucky
  13. Crazy Airborne

14. GSZenith

Thank you very much, went ahead and trialed it today, and dear god, 3 esf almost 700m away, about 5sunderer and some mag/lig before trial over.
    Once ever engi got this...well AT jihadist will be the least of anyones worry lol.
  15. Wrel Developer

Hey, that's much appreciated.

And thank everyone for the comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the video.
  16. Gopblin

Yeah I loved the video too. Think I'll try to get back into PS2 now :).

Good thing I have the Flash fully certed, gonna US that AB to its full potential (its possible to get up some very steep cliffs if you know what you're doing, e.g. you can drive up the side of the Crown in a couple spots).

Best wishes,
    Daniel.
  17. X3Killjaeden

it's what i have been saying all the time... as long as only a fraction uses the turret - nobody complains. As soon as alot of people have it (like it happened with lock on launchers) it's becoming unacceptable and will get nerfed.
    That's why i'm waiting for a 50% off day, or extra-cash-day
  18. Solvictis

omg this video deserves a Grammy or something - best PS2 vid I've seen so far!
  19. Dakkaface

I've used the AV turret for a while. If you get in a good spot, it's decent. For all of us without fancy gaming mice though? Long range shots are HARD AS HELL.
    • Up x 1
  20. Solvictis

Yeah I find myself on the brink of asphyxiation when trying to take down turrents and what not at max rendering distance, it almost seems harder to hit a stationary target like that at that max range...