Anti-tank mines should not be usable as C4

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Cilrael-sa-Altarii, Jan 27, 2013.

1. makrome

Here, have this little sunderer toy.
    Can you show me where the bad engineer placed the mines ?
    • Up x 4
  2. Armchair

1: Realistically, many anti-tank mines throughout history had the ability to be set on a timed fuse so that they could be used as satchel charges. There is nothing unrealistic about engineers flinging AT mines at parked vehicles.

2: Grab a mineguard. It costs 30 certs and is enough to prevent the 2 AT mine insta-gib. That's fewer certs than the engineer spent to unlock AT mines. Quit crying.
    • Up x 2
  3. phungus420

You can't carry mines with a LA, hence needing to cert into C4. But yeah, calling them proximity vehicle bombs would be fine, who cares.

Point though is Mines are working as intended. You need to have someone protect the sundee, or have minegaurd to keep an engineer (with no special combat or infiltrating skills) from using two resource costing melee attacks that can kill a sundee.
  4. Armchair

Actually, No it doesn't.

Mineguard simply prevents a % of damage from mines where ever they are. I dropped two AT mines on the roof of a sundie. They went boom but it was still standing. I kicked myself for not noticing the mineguard chin. I then nuked it to hell with C4 in my next life.
  5. Roxputin

I am that someone who revived a thread that thought would get the dev teams attention to deal with this broken aspect of "proximity" AT mines instagibbing parked vehicles. The issue of a mine taking out a fully armored vehicle in transit is very well within the scope of reason of what a mine does. The issue of an engineer waltzing up to a stationary vehicle and humming a mine near it without having to deploy and arm the mine and not having the vehicle roll over the mine instead is the definition of a broke weapon

Now there are two camps of thought on the use of AT mines.Those who believe that AT proximity mines are "working as intended", in which you seem to fall and the other in which believe that AT proximity mines are not supposed to be detonated until a moving object rolls over it, which I fall.

I truly am prepared to state the case that mines are NOT working as intended and will be using every chance I have on these forums, even resurrecting a so-called dead issue, to bring to light the broken nature of the engineers ability to throw mines at parked vehicles, blowing them up in a blaze of glory without having to properly arm them.And yes, vehicles can be outfitted with lvl 1 mime guard which does give protection from mines.

This is an all too common defense on your camp even though no disagrees that using mineguard is great for vehicles who do not want to roll over mines. But rolling over mines is not the issue nor is the mines ability to take out a moving object. H.e.l.l I am all for that.The issue at hand is the ability of a mine to take out a stationary object with or without mineguard. To me it is an issue that need to be reviwed at the behest of a lot of silent players who know that that is not the intended use of AT proximity mines.

TL; DR: Mines are broken in their current form and no amount of mineguard rationalizing will make me see any other way.
    • Up x 1
  6. Armchair

You still don't understand that it is 100% realistic for AT mines to be used as high explosive charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_99_mine

AT mines historically have been used as demolition charges. It is realistic for PS2's mines to be used in the same fashion. There is no reason for AT mines to take a step backwards from technology that was available decades ago.

Stop your crying and do the following:

1: Park your sunderer in more defensible locations.
    2: DEFEND YOUR SUNDERER.
    3: If the above two are inadequate, BUY A MINEGUARD. Mine guards are hilariously cheap.
    • Up x 3
  7. HellasVagabond

Ever heard about WEIGHT ? Even if a mine could be used like C4 (which in the real world it doesn't, all the times i've seen people use them was while a tank was in motion and not still) it's sheer WEIGHT makes it impossible to move around with one.
  8. FateJH

If your S-AMS has been attacked by anything, be it an Engineer or Armor, or even Air, you may want to think of moving it somewhere else and redeploying it. Giving some players more defensive options, or removing the things that have justifiable reason to threaten them, is doing nothing but covering their eyes and ears, stopping them from realizing their own shortcomings.

I direct you to:
    And this still doesn't change the fact that the mine is proximity based, triggered by specifically vehicles.
  9. Armchair

Heavy assaults run around with an LMG, a sidearm, several hundred rounds of spare munitions, medkits or c4, a rocket launcher, and half a dozen rockets.

The engineer is hardly the one running around with unrealistic weights.
    • Up x 2
  10. ObsidianSoul

It's simple: hide your sunderers. It's not only engineers and their tank mines that are dangerous to it. Spawnpoints are the first things good players search for and suppress. And deployed sunderers are the greatest threat to defensive play. So many people just park a sundy in plain sight, then leave it alone, thinking its incredibly high HP is enough to tank enemy damage.
  11. Roxputin

1. I always park my AMS in the best possible places. (Since 2003) which gives me a little more insight on the matter because I have had tons of practice. As far away from the spawns as possible, behind rocks, never within eyesight of the enemy. CHECK
    2. I never leave my sundy and normally have one or two guys helping me rep it and also manning the thermal bulldogs that I have mounted on top of this overcerted XP clearing house for one enginner with a broken mine.
    3.Buying mineguard after investing 1500 certs into blockade armor is not gonna happen just because of one weapon that has a game breaking flaw in it imho.

Even adhering to your strict guidelines of proper AMS defense which I do believe I am well qualified for, the ability for one rougue engineer to blitz past all of said defenses only to throw a mine down and instantly blow my AMS up with full health is absurd. Even he were light assault with maxed out C4 charges, it still does not destroy the AMS, but comes d.am.n close.
  12. t31os

See the responses that followed yours....

Comment anyway: The nature of a sunderer is not realistic, we don't have any real life vehicles that sit out in the field and spawn men, in a real situation in may be more typical for the given vehicle to be moving, in this game you can expect sunderers to be stationary when they are the biggest threat(ie. spawning infantry at your base).
    • Up x 1
  13. Dell Conagher

For god sakes, if you can't defend a sunderer at all, just buy the mineguard regardless of your stupid blockhead armor, and stop the whineing! If you are that worried about a surge of aircraft or tanks, you should just stay blockade. If the engies are gettin ya, go with mineguard. Simple as that.
  14. OutbreakMonkey

So much crying. They work exactly as intended and similarly to real life counterparts. If you spent a bunch of coin in Blockade armour then what the hell are you crying about. This game is all about compromises. Either you want extra protection from tanks and heavies or you want protection from mines. None of us can have it both ways.

Quit your ******** and learn to counter the engineers. A couple of jumping jack mines is all that is required.
    • Up x 1
  15. Pockets

Psst.

You know these things you hate? The mines? You can use them too. An engineer rushing your sundy doesn't have time to look for them. Unless they are claymores, which stand up and say "Yeah, I'm over here! Come at me bro!"

Add some AT mines in case he tries to flash rush you, you can have both down at once.

Go ahead and take the prox triggering, I don't care. I'll just shoot them because bullets are cheap.

The only person I blame when my sunderer goes down to an AT rush is myself. I know my teammates are useless to protect it so I don't depend on them. I mine and man whatever anti-infantry gun I've put up top for the day.

Your sunderer isn't as important as you think though, there are ten others just waiting for it to blow up so they can deploy anyways.

I love your blockade armor comment. If mines didn't work they way they did everyone would just use that and nothing else. Maybe, just maybe, mines are meant to be the counter to that and force you to make tough choices? I mean compared to tank armor certs blockade armor really is a dream as it works from almost every direction against almost everything.
    • Up x 1
  16. Armchair

You say that, but the fact that you're having such difficulty suggests that your positions aren't nearly as good as you think. You're probably placing the sundie in positions that grant the engineer plenty of cover to approach the sundie undetected.

If you have a group of players defending the sundie, then how are you having trouble stopping an infantryman from getting to point-blank range? The situational awareness of your squad is apparently questionable at best. You should start spamming infiltrator sensor darts and anti-personnel mines near your sundie. It sounds like your squad of defenders needs every possible advantage they can get to kill a single man.

So you wasted 1500 certs on an upgrade that lets your sundie survive 1-2 more rockets/HEAT rounds. Good thing you did your homework on the general effectiveness of an upgrade before spending your hard earned certs.

Nevermind that mineguard 1 will stop 2 AT mines and only costs 30 certs. Nevermind that mineguard 2 only costs 50 certs and will stop 3 AT mines.

Just ignore that it only takes a paltry 330 certs to max out mineguard which all but makes you invulnerable to AT mines. A whopping 7 AT mines are necessary to kill a mineguard 4 sundie. At best, an engineer can hope to carry 5 AT mines......at a cert cost far greater than 330.

Apparently you are NOT qualified because you keep getting your sunderer blown up by a single man. ONE MAN. You're parking your sundie where you, your defenders, and the stream of people respawning can't stop a single man from getting to MELEE range. That's either pathetically terrible placement or pathetic situational awareness on you're part.

Many players are not having any difficulty at all protecting their AMMO sundies from destruction. They accomplish this by placing them in locations that are easily defensible. They most difficult sundies I've ever had to destroy were ammo sundies that were defended by a pair of MBT's. The sundie was in a defensible position, and the MBT's established a no-man's-land that no man could hope to cross. We ended up calling in a pair of libs to take it out.

Other players have difficulty defending them from assault or lack the organization to work as a team and coordinate a proper defense, so they equip the HARD COUNTER to their problem rather than something more useful like ammo supply.

Then finally, there is the subset of players can't adapt to the threat and instead choose to cry on the forums and beg for their hand to be held.

You're just mad that you sunderer is getting blown up and you are personally incapable of stopping it. AT mines are your current bane. Rather than improving your play or spending the pennies on the hard-counter to your problem, you're begging for the problem to go away. Even if AT mines get nerfed (they won't), you're sundie is still going to be insta-gibbed by individuals and you're still going to be mad because you haven't resolved the root of your problem which is that your defense is so laughable that you can't stop a single man from reaching your sunderer.

People will just keep blowing up your sundie with the tools they have available. 2x GL and 2x C4, or 3x C4, or 2x C4 and a rocket launcher. The list goes on. You'll keep losing the sundie not because any weapon is OP, but because your defense is laughable.
    • Up x 1
  17. Monnor

Tank mines are made out of plastic, come out of ww2 man.
  18. HellasVagabond

Each mine can weigh from 3.5kg and up to 9.5kg (modern ones - depends on the model) so carrying 3-4 that weigh from 11.5kg and up to 28kg is not realistic, not with full gear (armor, helmet, primary gun, sidearm, extra ammo and backpack/pocket extras).
    Like i said most people in here have never been in the army so naturally they have no clue.
  19. jdono67894

Either the tank mines need to do less damage or should not be able to affect a stationary vehicle.
    It is obvious to anyone playing this game that they are not being used the way they were intended, they take down vehicles way too fast compared to all other infantry based anti-vehicle weapons.

We have the technology to take out a sundy with 2 small mines yet we have to use 5 or 6 larger rockets?
    Sure.
  20. Accuser

Realistically, my plane should be able to destroy enemy tanks with a single missile that I fire from so far away that the tank never actually sees me. Realistically, my plane should be able to drop napalm that fries dozens of infantry in a single pass. "Realistic" has nothing to do with Planetside 2.

I never drive Sunderers, but the ease with which an Engineer can blow them up is pretty silly and detracts further from infantry combat.