[Suggestion] Anti-tank/Air deployable Turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Amarath, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Amarath

what would you guys think if Engineers could cert into and throw down Anti Tank or Anti Air versions of the Engi Turret? it would of course replace the standard Turret, and all the same restrictions would apply (cant move+shoot, only the creator can use it) the Anti-Tank one would be similar to a base turret but with no splash, and Anti-Air could be like a single barrel of the base version.

I would like to see more interesting Turret certs besides "takes longer to overheat"
  2. Kameho

They used to have them. But then they got removed.
    Maybe because people most likely was crying that engineers are OP.

god knows.
  3. Marley

i like the idea devs will have to be very careful not to make them too OP if they do add them but i always thought that engies should be the best anti-vehicle class or at least better then what they are now
  4. Amarath

I figured Heavy Assaults would be the more mobile anti-vehicle class while Engi would be a more defensive/fixed position anti-vehicle class (this idea is supported by the fact HA has lock on rocket launchers and Engi's have Anti-vehicle mines, but they are missing means of combating aircraft) the numbers would have to be carefully adjusted as to not make them OP, but other restrictions could help keep them balanced as well, for example an AA turret might not be able to aim downwards below a certain angle (like 40 degrees or something) and an AT turret would be slow firing, with no splash and maybe no shield? so that way Infantry can kill them easily, though I think the shield serves more as of "Hey I am over here please shoot me" sign then an actual defensive mechanism.
  5. TheScapegoat

PS1 engie had the deployable AI controlled turret, it had a short range but was a great supplement to a dedicated skyguard.
    • Up x 1
  6. Krinje

We don't exactly need a rocketlaunching AV turret, something more like a basalisk worth of damage could keep vehicles distracted and suppressed. Give the engi soft-options to deal with them, like the engi should, the utility of the class should be tempered with the fact that his options are "soft" counters to threats. Sustained damage that can add up on threats like air or vehicles.
  7. Goats

They never actually had them. The cert was locked. They were planning on it, though, so it's safe to say that we will get them at some point, hopefully soon.
    • Up x 1
  8. Morro

Imperial Guard Auto-cannons please
  9. Aelloon

I don't know about anti-vehicle turrets: we already have C4 and mines. Anti-air turret would be great though.
  10. BalogDerStout

Considering the current turret is basically glowing shield and mobile distraction unit, any change would be welcome.

I'd really like an anti-air turret, at least then I can help with the desperate need for more air support. Currently, I don't think the turret does any damage to either air targets or armor, the turret is only effective against infantry, and I use the term 'effective' very loosely in this context.
    • Up x 1
  11. Amarath

yeah right now the turrets do no damage to a vehicle of any kind except maybe a flash? assuming you can hit it. their only use right now is suppression fire or guarding narrow choke points, or camping the drop down spawnroom doors, or as a decoy(I have placed turrets then circled around and shot people in the side while they shot the turret).
  12. MacGringo

How imbalanced would it be to have a deployable version of the tank's AA secondary? Its stuck at a 30 degree vertical angle minimum, so you're probably not gonna hit non-air targets. You could plink at airplanes, nothing game-breaking, just something to contribute AA.

For anti-tank, I have two ideas. The simplest is to fire the same gun as the lightning, but only one shot at a time, with a slow rate of fire, and a limited arc. The other is a slow, laser guided rocket that does half the dmg the HA's rocket does.
  13. Mids

I'm envisioning turning the turret into a platform.
    Have certs for the base unit (overheat, shield options (like better coverage), maybe turn radius?
    Then you get to choose the gun that goes on it. There should be several AA/AV/AI options. Maybe even guided versions (of course you'd need faster overheat, slower rate of fire on those) I do really like the idea of a laser guided rocket, that could be balanced and still give a good option vs tanks.

No reason to use full vehicle weapons on it either - maybe a single barrel aa from the base turrets, with a slightly lowered rate of fire. Maybe half a basalisk.
    • Up x 1
  14. ytman

Coming to a PS2 game near you.

Just wait.
  15. Gibber

They'll bring different turrets in for us to cert in to, hopefully with General Update 1 which is due @ 6am PST. Whatever they're plan is something need to be done with turret viability. I just hope it has fast fire rate so I can drop it and get a few shots off before they notice the big glowing shield and I get rocket-podded or insta-sniped out. =P