Anti-Armor options

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Dakhath, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Dakhath

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this game having got into the beta about 2 weeks before release, but I've fallen in love with this class despite some glaring shortcomings. So far I've picked up the AMS and a couple repair tool upgrades and was looking at how to handle the obvious armor problem. I see people singing the praises of C-4 but how does that compare to the tank mines?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Midax

I like the mines more that the C4. Put down 2 and you can take out any ground armor. You can also throw 2 down on a deployed sunder and get away just before it blows.

The C4 can be used on infantry and terminals, so you get more use out of it. You can kind of do that with mines, but you have to shoot them or throw a grenade on them and you get friendly fire warnings for hurting your mines.

On second thought, forget C4. Mines are your friends, mines are your friends. Pick your friends.
  3. TribbleFluffer

both are good, though c-4 as you might imagine can be used to set 'specific" traps dont want to kill that MBT headed though the trap, alrighty then, set it off when the sundie comes rolling on by! while mines will only go off for their specific target and the first one to pass them at that...you dont have to be within viewing distance to employ them while with C4 its better to be able to see the location you placed it to use it properly unless your blowing up terminals and stuffs
  4. Arcfade

Personally I would just scream my head off and run at/around enemy armor to strap C4 to their bum. Risky and suicidal, but it's better than nothing. I haven't had much luck with the mines in this game yet.
  5. TehTee

There is nothing more hilarious than when you manage to get into an enemy tank column undetected with an inventory full of AT mines, just drop them under the tanks and watch them blow :D
    Bonus when attacking sunderers, you can drop two of them quicker than two c4, and you don't have to detonate manually.
    • Up x 1
  6. Eleniaki

Mines were sorely underused in Beta due to the restrictions on their use (you had to stay engie, and I think at one time they despawned if you died once). I still think that the limit is set a bit low, perhaps an engie should be able to drop two sets of his carry capacity before they get replaced.

I use my mines as a fire and forget weapon, while defending a base I will mine the approaching roads or entrances for vehicles. Sure many are wasted but you usually have no shortage of infantry resources unless you are a MAX fanatic. It always brings a smile to my face when I, out of the blue, get a message that I have killed a Sunderer. I could be on the other side of the continent when somebody ran into my little present.

Just make sure to place them in a row in the direction of the road. A tank going at speed will run over the complete set, if you place them across the road there is a chance he will only hit one and survive. Happy mining and remember, a good demoman is a live demoman.

Hmmm... I wonder if I can make a script that automatically sends a tell to my mine victims saying "Oh, they're gonna 'ave to glue you back together ... IN HELL!"
  7. Marzipanzer

Mines are an engineer's best friend, and are better than C4 by a longshot. Know an enemy tank column is coming? Mines, and at least one of the tanks in that column is going to have an extremely bad day.

Enemy infantry huddled in an tight space? Make a suicide run with mines, lay them in their ranks, and wait for an explosion to set them off.

Enemy Sunderer pumping out infantry like no tomorrow? Run up to it and toss two mines under it. You don't even need to live past that, because in three more seconds that Sunderer won't exist anymore.

Same goes for any tanks you sneak up behind. Bonus points of you lay some mines, shoot at the tank to get its attention, and then make it chase you over them mines.
  8. FrothyMug

Get mines, for sure. From launch to yesterday (When I spent the certs for mines), playing an engineer was kinda ho-hum. From yesterday until eternity, I will have so much fun playing as an engineer. There's nothing more satisfying than blowing up some a-hole who thinks he or she is invincible because there's only infantry around and there's gonna be a lot of easy kills.

Just earlier today, I was engaging a magrider near a rock in the middle of Indar. I had laid mines out and tried to lure him in. I was unsuccessful and he got blown up by a nearby HA. I wished so much that I could just pick up my mines and use them again, but I couldn't. I had considered shooting them for shiggles, but I decided against it. I left the area to go do other things and about 10 minutes later, I got a notification that I had killed a Sunderer. The death messages just kept spamming the bottom of my screen and I had counted 6 deaths as a result of my mines I'd left in the most obscure place in another territory.

I get so many vehicle kills using AT mines. They're monstrous at taking care of pesky sunderers who are parked near your base. Many times, my outfit mates will notify the presence of a Sunderer and my response is "I'll take care of it..." A couple of minutes and I can happily report that I was successful in destroying the Sundy.

I also love to place a couple outside of enemy vehicle bays. Can you imagine how frustrating that would be to someone who just spawned a fresh Magrider and promptly got blown up with nobody around? You mad, bro? :trollface:

Get AT mines... Nobody rolls with mine guards on their vehicles. A smart Sundy driver should get mine guard, but they are far and few between right now. I know I'll be doing my part to make them reconsider what they equip in their defensive slot. :evilgrin:
    • Up x 2
  9. Dakhath

So I bought the anti tank mines a few hours ago and I couldn't be happier. Just laid waste to a small armor column over the period of 10 mins. So much fun. So far any new engineer or even new player that's looking at this class, mines are a home run.
  10. Mafarett

You can use both, they made it so that mines stay after you respawn/resupply. So you can go lay mines, and then resupply with C4.
  11. Marzipanzer

Don't forget that anti-tank mines will also explode when damaged (shot three times, roughly, or hit with a hard enough explosion), so they can also be fantastic at anti-infantry if you plan for it!