Another long range hard hitting skill based weapon...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Crazyfingers, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Crazyfingers

Did anyone play starcraft here? Remember how at a certain saturation of marines their long ranged attacks would essentially nullify any shorter ranged attack force?

Can you see how this is fundamentally terrible for a game focused on big scale combat?

20 bucks SOE tests these weapons in a 10 vs 10 environment.

We need to be refocusing the game into more viable close range combat scenario's so you're not killed by artillery barages 80% of the time.

You know what i'd be excited about? Changes that encourage aircraft to get right into people's faces, tanks to charge up and actually engage, infantry to be able to break into a saturated area.

This game is fast becoming a standoff simulator.
    • Up x 2
  2. RocketKhruschev

Remember when the Egyptians won the Yom Kippur War because they had long range hard hitting weapons and anti-air missiles? They even brought Annihilators!

Totally unfair.

;)
    • Up x 2
  3. Autarkis

1) Most played class is engineer.
    2) Make long range AV weapon for Engineer, price at $7.00
    3) You know the rest...
    • Up x 1
  4. Dusty El Lion

What? Developed lines of battle that require flanking and combined arms to break? Say it ain't so.
    • Up x 3
  5. Cougarbrit

Most played class is engineer because what's the point in being a vehicle jockey if you can't repair yourself. Most actual groundpounders I see are HAs and LAs depending on the location.
  6. Naehloseht

hey.. Hey.. HEY....
    Vehicle guys....
    Air, AND Tankers....

Whatever happened to your FAVORITE used line ever back in the days of total air dominance, "Use combined arms"? Is the fact that using infantry to counter infantry, is just so unfair for you poor "Air should only counter Air" users?
    If the shoe fits.....
    • Up x 2
  7. vrcarnage

Lol I think you better read a little more. Isreal won that war. Considering that Egypt and Co got a brilliant suprise attack the utterly failed once Isreal rallied. Infact Isreal pushed w/in 60 + miles of Cairo and 20+ miles from Damascus. If it was not for a cease fire being called by the UN the participating nations might be called Isreal today ;).
  8. Cowboyhomer

I think thats what we have now but people are still sitting around waiting to die.
  9. Cougarbrit

The reason for the standoffs is partly down to people being worried about their k/d more than they are about pushing hard, dying fast and taking ground. They'd rather slug it out until one side gets bored and then move up. For a game with infinite respawns not a lot of people are willing to go balls deep into enemy lines taking out as many as you can before they riddle you like bullets. Then you spawn at your sunderer and repeat.
  10. Autarkis

People don't like dying. Period.
    • Up x 1
  11. RocketKhruschev

That was my point. The Israelis smashed the Egyptians once the Egyptians left their umbrella of SAM's, anti-air guns, and anti-tank missiles to try to advance.
  12. LameFox

Wait, is this about turrets...?
  13. phreec

They're on the right tracks. Now remove all skilless lock-on bullcrap and add shoulder fired wire-guided missiles.
  14. RocketKhruschev

Don't forgot mortars!

Pretty please, OGP!
  15. Cougarbrit

Then they're chikkin.
  16. Zaik

That actually sounds exactly like the Reaver's air hammer that everyone who flies that isn't NC suddenly wants nerfed into the ground. GG flying shotguns.

Ironically, the standoff attitude armor has is exactly what makes the annihilator so powerful. We dart from rock to rock, inching closer while they hide 500m away and shoot at empty sunderers and solo MBTers. Sneak up and then suddenly they start getting instantly killed by 8-10 HA's simultaneously firing on single targets. The few times we've been charged directly by armor that had comparable numbers and didn't line up single file to feed us free certs has pretty much 100% of the time ended in failure for us.

As for the infantry part, scattermaxes, shotguns, C4, and concussion grenades already have that covered. If you've never seen three or four light assaults soar over a group of infantry and literally carpet bomb the whole area, then...that is really a thing you should see.

It's been mentioned that indirect fire weapons will be coming to MAXes in March, assuming the date on their class revamp thingy stays the same. Used to be June.
    • Up x 2
  17. FateJH

I thought they were called UBGLs in this game.
  18. vrcarnage

Got ya.

You are correct in that statment. They got hammered hard once they left the range of the AA / arty.
  19. Halcyon

I loved my engineer before this patch.
    Now I bow before him.
  20. Vorxil

More like first-hour shell shock. The time where they spent more time at the respawn screen than actually playing.
    Besides, it's smart. Why charge blindly into a gun barrel when you can take them out from cover 50+m away with greater survival odds. Maybe people will start to think about their silhouettes too.

Medium-Long range is my preferred engagement range, anyways. Less twitchy and fewer bunnies.