[Suggestion] An actual sniper's cloak

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hotbread, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Hotbread

I believe this game needs a cloak for snipers who don't want to pop up from cover and pop back down like an infantryman. Or shoot while constantly moving around. A mix between the stalker cloak and the regular cloak.
    My idea: Voyeur cloak
    Benefits:
    Hard to see
    Never runs out
    Can use a sniper rifle (not an SMG)
    Drawbacks:
    Virtually no armor
    Moving disengages the cloak
    Shooting disengages the cloak
    Cannot carry a sidearm or a gadget (motion sensor)
    Cannot hack terminals

What does forumside think of my idea?
    • Up x 1
  2. Ash87

I think it would need a different name than the Voyeur cloak.

That makes it sound like some kind of fancy euphemism for a windowless van and a pair of binoculars.

As to the suggestion itself, Questions: How long would you remain visible after firing, what are the balancing factors to being a truly invisible sniper, and what do you mean by reduced armor?
    • Up x 3
  3. Sulsa

[IMG]

It's red so I guess the TR already got this going on...?
    • Up x 2
  4. Hotbread

I'd say you can uncloak, fire, and then cloak again. And reduced armor meaning pretty much if somebody shoots you, you're pretty much dead.
  5. Hotbread

I was trying to come up with a fancy name that wasn't Stalker, or hunter!
    • Up x 1
  6. Dis

You're right, snipers aren't nearly worthless enough as is right now. Let's give them an incentive to never move or come within 500m of any objective again.
    • Up x 1
  7. Maelthra

I'd never use that cloak as a sniper. Way too restrictive; it wouldn't be worth using.
  8. Metalsheep

You could call it something like the Ghillie Cloak.

Perminant cloak so long as the sniper sits still.
    Cloak breaks if the sniper moves.
    Cloak is slow to enter into Deep Cloak.
    Can fire while cloaked, but it makes you nearly totally visible, then slowly enters back into Deep Cloak.

Certing into the Cloak could speed up the Cloak Recovery time after each shot. (Speeds up the process of reaching Deep Cloak.)

An additional benefit of certing the cloak could be slightly reduced Scope Sway. (like 10 to 20% at Max rank.)
    • Up x 4
  9. Hotbread

Snipers aren't suppose to be going for objectives. Infiltrators are! There's plenty of cloak options for going for objectives, but none really for a sniper. Do you have any suggestions for this idea?
    • Up x 2
  10. Hotbread

YES, This is a great idea! Like a ghile suit.
  11. Ryme

I would ask then that they have no shields and that turning would count as moving.
  12. Kunavi

Interesting ideas, a Ghillie suit sounds like it could add some flavour. The old Cloak is still what I use as the other 2 options(1 really, let's be Honest here) seem to be different just for the sake of that and nothing more.
    • Up x 1
  13. Revanmug

Good sniper are moving around objectives, stopping people from reaching it.

There is no reason to promote even more an immobile gameplay that is useless to the team and to the player himself.
  14. TheBlindFreak

No offense, but as suggested in the OP, the cloak would be useless.

A sniper who doesn't move after cloaking is a dead sniper. Why?
    Because through my scope I saw him cloak,
    He took his shot while moving not.
    He is sitting there still in the same place,
    Now to put a bullet in his face.

• Up x 1
  15. MarkAntony

Would never trade the hunter cloak for that. Which I think is a sniper cloak anyways. You can stay cloaked when not shooting and when you shoot you recharge it.
  16. AFK1

It's a fun idea, but it would lead to endless camping snipers that contribute nothing aside from frustration. The game would eventually just be sniperside 2; and/or the cloak would just be rebalanced into uselessness negating the addition in the first place
  17. Hotbread

You're right, I was trying to make it not OP, because SMG infiltrators etc. Maybe moving while crouched doesn't disrupt the cloak. So a sniper can move around slowly while being cloaked but can't cover any real ground.
    • Up x 1
  18. Dill Bagner

I don't think snipers should be able to cloak at all.
    I do think they should have some ability to not be "spotted" nearly as easily, though.
  19. Hotbread

Well considering there's no real form of camouflage, there has to be something snipers can do.
  20. iller

Who needs a Cloak just to Snipe???